12v TV issues (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hoping someone with experience can help me.

I have a new 12v smart TV and also brand new leisure batteries x2 with solar.

The TV works perfect on 12v if we are on ehu or the engine is running.
At night with no ehu it flickers and cuts off.

If I put the inverter on and plug it into a 3 pin socket it works fine but this appears to hammer the batteries.

Is my TV faulty?

Thanks

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I would guess at there's nothing wrong with the TV but the supply of power to it. Is your issue with the batteries?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could it be voltage drop,I had this problem. I fitted heavier gauge wire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Is the tv actually designed to run off 12v? are you connecting via a voltage stabiliser? These will take in battery voltage and send out 12v almost independent of battery state. if you are just taking the raw dc from the motorhome then it sounds as if as soon as the battery voltage starts to fall below say 12.8, then the tv starts to shutdown.
The invertor will have greater losses as it will take 12v dc up to 240 ac then the tv brings it back down to what it like, hence the greater load on the batteries.
Whats the make and model of the tv, was it supplied specially for mh use?

Mike

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Being on ehu will raise the dc voltage to about 13.8 and sustain the tv ( same as running the engine)

Some tv's do not like 13.8v hence the stabiliser,
Mike

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A voltage reading at the TV when it starts to misbehave would be my starting point.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
First thing to try (after checking wiring and the actual voltage at the socket in your MH) is to CUT OFF the usually very cheap and nasty 12V plug you have from the TV - I am assuming you have a cigarette lighter style plug on the TV?
I had a brand new TV that was intermittant but finally discovered the wiring inside the 12V supplied plug was very poor. Bought a replacement and fitted nice and securely - no drop out since (apart from when water pump runs, it flickers but not enough to turn off TV).

e.g.....

Link Removed

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all the responses
Tv was recomended in a thread on here.
Sharp 24" Smart LED TV DVD Caravan Truck Freeview Play Satellite Saorview PVR

I am plugging it into the factory fitted 12v cig lighter style socket. It reaches 2 other 12v sockets so tried it in all 3 and it behaves the same.

Re the voltage stabilizer I don't know what one is but assume if it's needed then CL will have fitted it?

I initially thought it was a bad connection in the plug or socket but it is always fine when driving which would be the worst time if there was a loose connection. I will check the voltage at the socket with no ehu.

If it is low what would be the possible fix / next step?

Thanks

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Looking up what you have said you have it refers to a 12/24v charger adapter.

"Box contents - Sharp LC-24DHG6132KFM 24" TV with Built-in DVD Player - Feet with screws - Remote control - Batteries - Quick start guide - Manual - 12V / 24V Adapter (in car charger) - UK 3 Pin Plug - "

This could be faulty, also it states that it draws 25watts ie 2 amps. I would begin to wonder if its voltage drop in the wiring to the sockets. Easiest way to check is with a voltmeter into an adjacent 12v socket and see what it is giving you when the tv is on then turn off the ehu and watch it drop.
I wonder did any previous tv work ok?
Mike

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

"Box contents - Sharp LC-24DHG6132KFM 24" TV with Built-in DVD Player - Feet with screws - Remote control - Batteries - Quick start guide - Manual - 12V / 24V Adapter (in car charger) - UK 3 Pin Plug - "

This could be faulty, also it states that it draws 25watts ie 2 amps. I would begin to wonder if its voltage drop in the wiring to the sockets. Easiest way to check is with a voltmeter into an adjacent 12v socket and see what it is giving you when the tv is on then turn off the ehu and watch it drop.
Mike
Thanks Mike it's in storage for a few weeks while my drive gets done. Will try this when I get it back on the drive. There was crap little tv in it when we got it. It did work on our first trip yes but not for long as the leisure batteries were past it. I replaced them and fitted the new TV at same time.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks which wire did you replace? From the battery to the 12v socket?

Would being on charge stop the voltage drop issue?
I had put a 12volt twin socket in and found the wire I had used was not big enough.
mine worked ok on EHU.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thats the clue, it was a small tv before, you are drawing more current and the extra load on the wiring is causing the voltage drop.
I would also look at the wiring and the performance of the "new" leisure batteries as well
A simple voltmeter is a very useful tool.
Pity you are so far away
Mike

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thats the clue, it was a small tv before, you are drawing more current and the extra load on the wiring is causing the voltage drop.
I would also look at the wiring and the performance of the "new" leisure batteries as well
A simple voltmeter is a very useful tool.
Pity you are so far away
Mike
Thanks Mike. I have a volt meter. When I get her back on the drive I'll post up my findings cheers

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Mike
Hi Mike
Ok so just tested this. I think so measuring DC V at a 12v socket with the ehu and the tv and heating few lights on.
I get 13.16 then i disconnect ehu and it drops straight away to 12.4 tv fails then checked again and its 12.1

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
.... then I Re connect ehu and get 12.95 then a few mins later it's back up to 13.16

Not sure if I am measuring correctly or what it tells us?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What is the voltage measured directly off the leisure battery when it's 12.1 at the TV?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The TV is quite intolerant of a bit of a voltage drop isn't it ?
Only thing you can do is run thicker cables and even then you might not have much success.
I'd have thought a TV would work down to 9 or 10v before shutting down? when you say "flickers and cuts off" is that losing signal or switching off?

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The TV is quite intolerant of a bit of a voltage drop isn't it ?
Only thing you can do is run thicker cables and even then you might not have much success.
I'd have thought a TV would work down to 9 or 10v before shutting down? when you say "flickers and cuts off" is that losing signal or switching off?

Well we have mainly been using it to play DVDs when off site as the sat dish I have yet to figure out. But yes the picture starts flickering then it shuts down completely.

So are my readings fairly normal then?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well we have mainly been using it to play DVDs when off site as the sat dish I have yet to figure out. But yes the picture starts flickering then it shuts down completely.

So are my readings fairly normal then?

Thanks
Yes half a volt drop shouldn't cause a problem.
What is the output from the power supply that came with the TV? Should say on it.

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Attachments

• 20200201_135331.jpg
    20200201_135331.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 69
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't know then, it's a strange one.
A few long shots...

Is something big powering up and momentarily dropping the voltage?

Is the plug tight in the cigar socket?

Is the plug warm when you pull it out (especially the contacts)?

TV could be faulty or just a bad design. Same as I said earlier a bigger cable to the battery or doubling up the cable may help.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We had exactly the same problem, as soon as 12v is used elsewhere in the van the 12v sockets suffered first. Use a meter when there is no load and the voltage was a steady 12.6, plug something in and we were lucky to get12v. Tv now hard wired to EBL and recorder via inverter, all works fine.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the solution is to fit a buck converter with stabilised output into the feed wire to the socket. Any voltage drop in the wire or caused by the pump pulling the voltage down will affect some 12v TVs

the buck converter will increase the input voltage when below 12v and give a stabilised constant 12v output. Simple to install too, just take the 2 wires from the back of the socket and attach to the input and 2 new wires from the output to the socket. One suited to this task is likely the size of a matchbox

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
the solution is to fit a buck converter with stabilised output into the feed wire to the socket. Any voltage drop in the wire or caused by the pump pulling the voltage down will affect some 12v TVs

the buck converter will increase the input voltage when below 12v and give a stabilised constant 12v output. Simple to install too, just take the 2 wires from the back of the socket and attach to the input and 2 new wires from the output to the socket. One suited to this task is likely the size of a matchbox
Awesome thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back