12v TV issues (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I had similar flickering and failing TV. Cut off the factory 12v plug and fit a better one and problem.solved for £8

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
the solution is to fit a buck converter with stabilised output into the feed wire to the socket. Any voltage drop in the wire or caused by the pump pulling the voltage down will affect some 12v TVs

the buck converter will increase the input voltage when below 12v and give a stabilised constant 12v output. Simple to install too, just take the 2 wires from the back of the socket and attach to the input and 2 new wires from the output to the socket. One suited to this task is likely the size of a matchbox

Any chance you could post a link to what I need? Looking online and I don't have a Scooby! Thanks

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What size are your batteries they seem to be dropping fast one could be duff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What size are your batteries they seem to be dropping fast one could be duff
The batteries are only a couple of months old. Are they dropping fast? I don't have anything to compare to. We did 5 days without ehu no problems except for the TV which we had to use the inverter to power the tv on 240 or run the engine to get tv to work on 12v. I'm doubtful it's battery issue. What reading should I get direct from the battery? Is 12.65 low?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Mike
Ok so just tested this. I think so measuring DC V at a 12v socket with the ehu and the tv and heating few lights on.
I get 13.16 then i disconnect ehu and it drops straight away to 12.4 tv fails then checked again and its 12.1
Coming of 240v and 13.16 to drop to 12.4 then 12.1 seems a problem to me

even new batteries can go down

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that voltage is at rest allowing a short period after disconnection fro any charge or drain source.
1580587914665.png

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had exactly the same problem, as soon as 12v is used elsewhere in the van the 12v sockets suffered first. Use a meter when there is no load and the voltage was a steady 12.6, plug something in and we were lucky to get12v. Tv now hard wired to EBL and recorder via inverter, all works fine.
Hi, Glad its not just me. Sorry whats EBL? Thanks

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
EBL stands for Elektroblock which is a type of 12V electrical distribution unit made by Schaudt in Germany.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hoping someone with experience can help me.

I have a new 12v smart TV and also brand new leisure batteries x2 with solar.

The TV works perfect on 12v if we are on ehu or the engine is running.
At night with no ehu it flickers and cuts off.

If I put the inverter on and plug it into a 3 pin socket it works fine but this appears to hammer the batteries.

Is my TV faulty?

Thanks
So thought I would post an update to this as it may help someone in the future.

Having tried everything suggested I had frankly given up

On a recent trip heading to Calais to catch the ferry we lost all driving electrics and had to call breakdown. When he jumped it he was only measuring 8v at the battery so diagnosed alternator fault. Fitted us a new battery and I drove like a loon for 90 mins in failing light with no lights on to make the ferry before it went flat. Only it didn't. Once on the ferry I checked the display to find it was fully charged. Alternator fine and charging!

Turns out my voltage drop issue now also solved!! So I had been driving around with a knackered cab battery for 9 months. Which was going un noticed as the 2 hab batteries and solar supported it. It was also causing the voltage drop. 😆

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Glad you have it sorted at last. Volt drop was the essence of it not the TV.
So I think that you are suggesting that the starter battery was loosing charge every time you parked up and thereby running down the hab batteries which were supported by the solar. Hmmm
The clue would have been to ask what happened to the hab batteries with the solar turned off- presumably they would also have lost charge. Not knowing what control panel or setup you have that can be hard to diagnose but I know that my set up only couples the starter to the hab circuits when the hab voltage is above 13.6, below that and the starter battery has to fend for itself
I wonder if the vots coming off the saolr were confusing it, but in any case it should have dropped out when it got dark.
Something to look into is just how the battery systems are interconnected perhaps the connecting relay has just stuck/welded itself closed?
Suggest something like the NASA BM1 battery monitor at least you can see whats happening with volts and currents around the hab batteries
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back