12v Sockets are different sizes in on X250 & X290 (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Anyone else noticed?
Got the Fiat pump (one from my last van) out of the garage today to do the tyre pressures, plug wouldn't fit in the socket on the dash, had to get the new pump out of the Motorhome garage that was fine.

Everyone used to complain about the sockets on the X250's with satnavs etc., plugged into them the plug was wobbly and made poor contact. The sockets appear to be on the top limit of the DIN tolerance or non standard. I found out the hard way when I went to rescue my daughter with a flat tyre a couple of years ago. Took the Fiat pump with me, plug wouldn't fit either her or my car.

On the X290 they appear to have fallen in line with the rest of the car industry, took a while for me to find out as I don't normally use the socket on the dash.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting, that might explain why I had problems running a compressor coolbox from a 12v socket due to the plug being a bit loose.

But a first for the automotive industry: a new model smaller than the current one. :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Aah! That explains why, in the previous van, I had to wedge the plug for the dash cam in with a piece of card, but it fits securely in the new van. I can stop blaming the dash cam manufacturers now. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I used to run Saabs. We had 6 or 7 of them over the years. The 12 V sockets on them are all slightly larger then all the other cars I have had, makes the plugs a bit wobbly. Some plugs fitted better than others. I don’t know what the standard is but it seems to have quite a bit of tolerance. I guess it was designed as a cigar lighter in the first instance and the size and shape is better suited to that. I would have expected the industry to move to a more suitable ( smaller ) shape some time ago. Many now have a more suitable USB supply rather than the 12v socket. There can’t be many things left that still need 12v in cars. Mohos are a different story of course, but there are already at least 3 different 12 v sockets I have had in Mohos and caravans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back