Free Member
Apr 9, 2014
west midlands
Funster No
MH
talbot merlin
Exp
3 yrs
Hiya.. everybody. i need help!! ive got a talbot merlin motorhome.. its old but well loved. its been running fine. but last weekend a problem arised with the 12 volt system. on switching it on the green battery light says fine for 2 seconds. and everythings on!! Then it goes onto red!! Flat!! And switches off!!! And this keeps happening.. on then off!!! Clicks on then clicks off!!! Lights on lights off.. water pump on then water pump off!!!.... PLEASE CUD SOMEBODY HELP!!!! thanks dave.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what condition is the leisure battery in, what state of charge and how old? do you still get the same when plugged into the mains on hook up?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my thoughts too.

Lights pull battery voltage below usable volts, lights go off.
Unloaded Battery recovers slightly so lights come back on momentarily then drag the volts down and lights go off....again and again.

New battery by the sound of it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

divad70

Free Member
Apr 9, 2014
west midlands
Funster No
MH
talbot merlin
Exp
3 yrs
Thanks for your reply. i appreciate uve took time out.. tried charging the leisure batt but only putting a very small trickle into it. i think its quite old though!! And yes its still doing it on the mains?? As i explained i put either the lights on or water pump etc.. the green light comes on for 2 seconds then it clicks.goes onto red! And cuts off.. then 4secs later the same sinario??? I probably sound really thick? But electrics r not my field..

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for your reply. i appreciate uve took time out.. tried charging the leisure batt but only putting a very small trickle into it. i think its quite old though!! And yes its still doing it on the mains?? As i explained i put either the lights on or water pump etc.. the green light comes on for 2 seconds then it clicks.goes onto red! And cuts off.. then 4secs later the same sinario??? I probably sound really thick? But electrics r not my field..

you dont sound thick at all.....if you dont understand how something works or why its doing something you wouldnt expect, you dont know.....we all had to learn somehow.

all symptoms point to a knackered battery and if, as you say, it does it on hookup i suspect the charger is turned off or not working at all........which would explain the dead battery.

On hookup the charger doubles up as a 12v power supply as well as charging the battery so even with a dead battery you will have 12v power...if the charge is working.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

divad70

Free Member
Apr 9, 2014
west midlands
Funster No
MH
talbot merlin
Exp
3 yrs
So wot your saying is its my battery? Just dont want to spend 60-70 quid on a new one if its not!! Just worried it might b a wire tripping somewhere! As it cums on then goes off.. but keeps rebooting itself? If this is wot happens wen your batt is knackered?? Thank u so much for your HELP!!! priceless..

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would put a meter on the battery, note voltage, then connect to mains and check voltage again. If voltage does not increase (to around 13.5v) when the mains is on then your charger isn't working (may just be a fuse gone).

If the battery voltage without the mains is less than 12v then the battery is shot too. I'm afraid it sounds as if both may be the case.

While doing this you can check the security of the battery terminals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

divad70

Free Member
Apr 9, 2014
west midlands
Funster No
MH
talbot merlin
Exp
3 yrs
Cheers.. tried that.. got two screws into terminals and red and black wires holding on to terminals.. BUT the red wire is on the - and the blk wire is on +? Strange i know.. but its been working fine for 2 yrs?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

divad70

Free Member
Apr 9, 2014
west midlands
Funster No
MH
talbot merlin
Exp
3 yrs
As i explained theres two wires on the leisure batt.. the red wire has a fuse connection.. So possibly trying to overide the CHARGER??? From 12 v .. van battery.. so phaps charger knackered?? And trying to charge leisure batt. just off normal altanater??? Which main batt was flat over the winter!!! I dont know i just guessing??? Thanks for your all thoughts...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

divad70

Free Member
Apr 9, 2014
west midlands
Funster No
MH
talbot merlin
Exp
3 yrs
If somebody could b kind nuf to send me there email addy i cud send some pics how its wired up!!! And maybe put an end to this mind blowing elec prob..... thanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back