Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
A couple of weeks ago I posted a problem I'd been having when I switched the lights on in the van. After a few seconds they seemed to trip out and this would be repeated several times over. Could not understand why. Thanks to all the helpful suggestions I received from the forum. As I am due to go off on my travels next week I decided that it would be sensible to take the van back to my servicing garage Peterborough Motorhomes. They had recently fitted a 150w solar panel. After some head-scratching they came up with a probable cause and a solution. When you start the engine the Sargent Power Supply Unit detects this and cuts out the habitation lights. It seems that even with the engine off the unit was deceived into thinking that it was on because of the strength of supply from the solar panel. The solution was to put in a switch by which I can turn off power to the unit from the solar panel and then switch back on after a while of using power for the lighting. I'm no electrical expert and like many of you have to rely on the expertise of others. The problem/solution seems to have the right logic. Since the 'fix' I've had no further problems and I'm happy to say there was no charge from Peterborough Motorhomes for the work! :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry but its sounds more of a Bodge than a fix
Your intervention via a switch and the need to remember to switch in on and off is not a normal solution, I suggest they do not understand the control box they appear to have wired the panel through,
If they went direct to the battery via a separate controller and you still have the fault something is still amiss and needs proper attention
G
For the record apart from non fixed type, Solar Panels should be, are fit and forget

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Seems to me these integrated power centre's are more problem than worth.

Simplist and most effective solution is buy a seperate solar controller, you can get one for next to nowt these days, and wire the panel (via a fuse) direct to the battery....just as they were designed to be fitted.

Edit.....Geo beat me too it .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back