Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Evening.:thumb:

i am trying to make a 12v lead to use for my telly.
All i need to do is put a caravan plug on the end.
As you can see from photo i have stripped back the wire to reveal a white sleeve covered with more wire around the outside.I have unwrapped it to expose the white sleeve
Is the white sleeve the Live and the wrapped around stuff the neautral

jools

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Funster No
You are correct to be cautious as there are different polarity plugs out there,,,,,, you should be able to find a small icon near the socket on your tv to tell you the polarity

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Buy a cheap multimeter and trace out the wiring .

Then follow Jools' advice.Check the device for a label/moulding showing the polarity.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Evening.:thumb:

i am trying to make a 12v lead to use for my telly.
All i need to do is put a caravan plug on the end.
As you can see from photo i have stripped back the wire to reveal a white sleeve covered with more wire around the outside.I have unwrapped it to expose the white sleeve
Is the white sleeve the Live and the wrapped around stuff the neautral

The `normal' convention with this type of cable is centre or sleeved conductor positive and exposed or `screened' one negative. But it is good advice as has been mentioned to double check with a meter or continuity tester, to factor in any `sods law' scenario.

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thankyou all for your advise,

I dont know anything about polarity, is that the way in which the wires go?

The wire i used came straight off a 240v to 12v transformer, the end i am using is the bit after current has been transformed to 12v.

The caravan plug has markings for live on one terminal and the other has neautral and a w on it

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thankyou all for your advise,

I dont know anything about polarity, is that the way in which the wires go?

The wire i used came straight off a 240v to 12v transformer, the end i am using is the bit after current has been transformed to 12v.

The caravan plug has markings for live on one terminal and the other has neautral and a w on it

yes this is so, get this wrong and its goobye tv your tv imput should show wether it is + center pin (more likely) or negative.just have a look where it plugs in

Link Removed

if you were lucky? you would also need a inline fuse for safety, also some lcd's don't have the tolerence of a varying voltage you get in motorhomes.

I would suggest one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246359592&sr=1-1"]Click here[/ame]

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Lead all together and tested. Tv working fine but will still get one of those 12v regulator things.

Once again problem sloved by the help of you guys.

Many thanks

Mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back