Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Wired up the 12V kettle, it compliments the 12V coffee maker :)

Will obviously only be used when I don't have or cannot use gas, and EHU and genny are not an option.

30 mins to boil 750ml of water - haha

Attachments

• IMG-20171226-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20171226-WA0021.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG-20171226-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20171226-WA0022.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20171226-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20171226-WA0023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20171226-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20171226-WA0024.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Can't you use the gas?

I can't use gas while driving. The point of the 12V kettle is basically a contingency. If I run out of gas for example, at least I could boil water (albeit slowly). I do a lot of rallies that do not allow generators and do not have EHU, in such instances I only have gas or battery (if I run out of gas at least I have a 12V option (slow, but an option non the less)).

Another option with 12V is that I can fill up the kettle, drive and then pull into a a layby an hour or so later to have a coffee etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Get yourself a decent insulated flask, Lidl had them a few weeks ago for 8 quid they keep water hot enough for drinks for over 8 hours.
I can't see a situation when I would run out of gas, I always top up when the first bottle is empty and if I was that desperate I'd knock on the door of the next van.
Had to do that in France when my bottle opener broke - far more serious.:xrofl:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Get yourself a decent insulated flask, Lidl had them a few weeks ago for 8 quid they keep water hot enough for drinks for over 8 hours.
I can't see a situation when I would run out of gas, I always top up when the first bottle is empty and if I was that desperate I'd knock on the door of the next van.
That's what I use , I picked up a great one in asda a few weeks back for £4 and an insulated mug for £1

Not sure if want to drive along with a kettle full of water either

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A 12v element inside a flask would be a good thing. With little heat loss it would boil a lot faster. The top would need a vent of course.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a back-up gas hob and some canisters (see below) which can also be used outside to cook smelly/messy stuff if needs be, or supplement the 2 ring hob if needed ... it is powerful so can boil a kettle very quickly ... no way could I wait for an electric 12v one to boil ... I'd end up with withdrawal symptoms!!!

gas stove.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have a back-up gas hob and some canisters (see below) which can also be used outside to cook smelly/messy stuff if needs be, or supplement the 2 ring hob if needed ... it is powerful so can boil a kettle very quickly ... no way could I wait for an electric 12v one to boil ... I'd end up with withdrawal symptoms!!!

View attachment 204001
We use one of those a lot, amazing for 12 quid work far better than the expensive Smeg hob in the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use one of those a lot, amazing for 12 quid work far better than the expensive Smeg hob in the van.
Yup, the Smev hob is usually 1.8kw max for the largest burner whereas these are often 2kw and it really does make quite a difference.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
That's when cruise control comes in handy so you can make a cup of tea while on the move:xrofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yup, the Smev hob is usually 1.8kw max for the largest burner whereas these are often 2kw and it really does make quite a difference.
Obviously, Dometic/Smev use different kw's to rest off us.
Poor performance of lesiure vehicle ovens/grills/hobs appeared to get worse when they changed to running at 30mb, in the past we ran propane at the 37mb and the Germans ran at 50mb. What I don't get is propane has a higher calorific value than natural gas and a domestic natural gas regulator is approx 20mb and our domestic appliances work very well. I know it's not that simple they have larger pipes & higher flow rates also different air mixes, propane 25 to 1, NG 10 to 1. But Truma can make a 6kw gas heater that works fine at 30 mb it's about time Dometic got their act together.

RANT OVER.:xgrin:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

View attachment 204001
Gas for these cheap at B&M. Surely the 12v kettle must be an early April fool?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yup, 4 canisters for £3.99 at B&M, much cheaper than any other shop/outlet except car boot sales where I got a load and it worked out at 30p each! :xgrin:

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
That's what I use , I picked up a great one in asda a few weeks back for £4 and an insulated mug for £1

Not sure if want to drive along with a kettle full of water either

Kettle is fixed in place, holds 750ml and is 7 meters behind me. I highly doubt I would get scalded on a head on collision, mind you that would be the least of my worries :)

A 12v element inside a flask would be a good thing. With little heat loss it would boil a lot faster. The top would need a vent of course.

You get them :)

http://tny.im/bwi

I have one of these too, runs on Butane - absolutely useless at negative temperatures (I do a lot of rallies in the mid of winter).

No not at all, as I mentioned earlier it is a contingency. It is small, compact and is there if I ever need it. (If I run out of propane and have no EHU!)

View attachment 204001

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
30 mins to boil 750ml of water - haha
Jeez. I am getting to the age now where I would have forgotten why I put the kettle on in the first place :p

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek

I have a Stanley that keeps hot for well over 12 hours, unfortunately a year ago I had tomato soup and it is still in the flask (too scared to open it - lol)

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Jeez. I am getting to the age now where I would have forgotten why I put the kettle on in the first place :p

You can get it down to 10 mins if you boil enough for just one cup, I'm selfish so that suits me :p

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You can get it down to 10 mins if you boil enough for just one cup, I'm selfish so that suits me :p
No way can I wait 10 minutes for a coffee. When I want one I want one now....
30 minutes I would have either given up the will to live or forgotten why I put the thing on...

I will stick to my gas whistle kettle thanks (y) Good luck with it :p

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Probably be quicker to fill a metal container with water and rest it on the exhaust manifold.:xgrin::xgrin:

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Probably be quicker to fill a metal container with water and rest it on the exhaust manifold.:xgrin::xgrin:

Actually, it would be quicker to leave a cup of cold water out in the winter and use the luke warm water in the summer :xrofl:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm guessing it takes a lot of current (10A+) in which case be aware the lighter plug could get very hot if the connection isn't perfect. It may work perfectly to begin with but once the connection isn't perfect things will get hot and then it goes downhill from there. The contacts soften and the plastic plug can deform. Been there, done that, as they say.

There are other types of connector available which are worth considering.

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
I'm guessing it takes a lot of current (10A+) in which case be aware the lighter plug could get very hot if the connection isn't perfect. It may work perfectly to begin with but once the connection isn't perfect things will get hot and then it goes downhill from there. The contacts soften and the plastic plug can deform. Been there, done that, as they say.

There are other types of connector available which are worth considering.

The 12V socket is wired directly to the battery via 6 AWG cable, I have placed a 20A fuse inline (just in case). I am not worried about the wiring.
I constantly touched the 12V socket and felt the wiring during the boiling of the kettle for sanity :)

It's 200W @ 12V so closer to 17 A

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The 12V socket is wired directly to the battery via 6 AWG cable, I have placed a 20A fuse inline (just in case). I am not worried about the wiring.
I constantly touched the 12V socket and felt the wiring during the boiling of the kettle for sanity :)

It's 200W @ 12V so closer to 17 A
It's not the wiring which gets hot but the problem is the points of contact between the plug and socket. The metal bits get hot and become softer making the problem worse. When it's all clean and new it will be fine, it is when things get a bit older when issues might appear.

If you find you have problems there are flat pin plugs you can get and there is a smaller version of the classic cigar lighter known as a DIN plug. The latter is what I changed to after problems running a compressor coolbox from a cigar lighter socket.

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
It's not the wiring which gets hot but the problem is the points of contact between the plug and socket. The metal bits get hot and become softer making the problem worse.

If you find you have problems there are flat pin plugs you can get and there is a smaller version of the classic cigar lighter known as a DIN plug. The latter is what I changed to after problems running a compressor coolbox from a cigar lighter socket.

Understood, the 12V coffee maker is wired directly (I cut off of the 12V plug). I didn't want to do this with the 12V kettle as unplugging it and moving it to a water source is easier when it is just plugged into a socket. I have an infrared temperature sensor so will keep my eye on it, if it starts to melt/warp etc. I will just end up hard wiring it and filling from a bottle etc. (Anyway, it is a backup and should rarely be used).

I also have a spare DIN socket :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Understood, the 12V coffee maker is wired directly (I cut off of the 12V plug). I didn't want to do this with the 12V kettle as unplugging it and moving it to a water source is easier when it is just plugged into a socket. I have an infrared temperature sensor so will keep my eye on it, if it starts to melt/warp etc. I will just end up hard wiring it and filling from a bottle etc. (Anyway, it is a backup and should rarely be used).

I also have a spare DIN socket :)
Sorry, I thought you had it connected using a cigar lighter socket and plug. :)

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Sorry, I thought you had it connected using a cigar lighter socket and plug. :)

We are getting our lines crossed here. The 12V kettle is connected to a Cigar socket and plug (because it is easier to move and fill the kettle). The 12V coffee maker that is next to the kettle in my original image (on the first page) is hard wired. My intention was to hard wire the kettle as well and then I realised that it may be a pain to fill it (due to cord length). If I do start getting issues with the connector then I will just hard wire the kettle too and fill from a bottle :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back