12v Hot and frothy milk maker? (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
The recent thread about coffee without an inverter has spurred me on to face abuse, ridicule and derision in the hope that someone can help me with my lazy approach to my morning coffee.

Firstly, and most importantly, I am not a coffee snob :D. A cup of instant or filter suits me fine.

However, I do like a bit of 'frothy' milk and I can't be a*sed to spend ages faffing about to achieve it :whistle:.

At home, I use a Tassimo and enjoy the simplicity, but hate the amount of plastic used. The thing I've realised is that it is the milk pods that I find the most convenient.

Soon we will have our first motorhome and I would love to find a lazy, quick 12v option for making the hot frothy milk first thing in the morning. My real preference would be to achieve this with powdered milk as we don't tend to use milk for anything else (we both prefer black tea and neither of us eats cereal).

I realise that this will lead to a lot of "EEEWWWW how could you", "It's not real coffee unless its ground between a Buddhist monk's thighs" or "Powdered milk is the invention of Hades" type comments, but I don't really care.

I also know that I could mix the powdered milk into a saucepan, heat it on the hob and then use one of those little battery 'wizzy' things, but I'm hoping for something even easier than that if such a thing exists.

All I'm after is a quick and simple way to make a frothy coffee (flavoured drink) without 240v. So, basically a 12v Tassimo with no plastic pods:D:D

PS: I know you can get those little 2in1 sachet things, but they work out expensive and are not available everywhere.

Thanks in advance :D

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Hubby likes his frothy coffee and we also have a Tassimo for when we have EHU but we've not found anything yet that does a similar job when we're off-grid. To be honest I'm not sure that anything with a heating element will work very well on 12v.

So its either manual milk frothing (which I agree is a bit of a faff) or the sachets - he quite likes these Nescaffe sachets (there's also a vanilla version) and they're not expensive either compared to Tassimo pods. They don't take up much room so we just stock up when they're on offer.

When we get our forever MH we'll probably put an inverter in to run the Tassimo, but if you do manage to find something that works on 12v I'd be very interested to hear how it goes.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Not sure if any powder milk will froth up.
I think your best bet would be to buy skimmed milk ( long life is fine ) and a proper frother. We use a Bialetti milk frothier. Heat the milk in it, then use the plunger to froth the milk. Perfect every time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Not sure if any powder milk will froth up.
I think your best bet would be to buy skimmed milk ( long life is fine ) and a proper frother. We use a Bialetti milk frothier. Heat the milk in it, then use the plunger to froth the milk. Perfect every time

I have seen youtube videos of people frothing powdered milk. I think it depends on the brand and fat content. I do know that Coffeemate doesn't froth very well as I've tried that:(

The Bialetti looks good but would require EHU or an inverter. Although I have an inverter ready to fit I only want to use it when really necessary. We are planning to do a fair bit of off-grid camping so EHU will be infrequent.

If you must have frothy milk this method works quite well without using any electricity.

Mmmm, I quite like that idea. As the kettle would be boiled, for SWMBO's tea, I could use the hot water in the french press to mix the powdered milk and then froth away.(y)(y)(y)

Hot frothy milk with minimum effort and no electric(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The recent thread about coffee without an inverter has spurred me on to face abuse, ridicule and derision in the hope that someone can help me with my lazy approach to my morning coffee.

Firstly, and most importantly, I am not a coffee snob :D. A cup of instant or filter suits me fine.

However, I do like a bit of 'frothy' milk and I can't be a*sed to spend ages faffing about to achieve it :whistle:.

At home, I use a Tassimo and enjoy the simplicity, but hate the amount of plastic used. The thing I've realised is that it is the milk pods that I find the most convenient.

Soon we will have our first motorhome and I would love to find a lazy, quick 12v option for making the hot frothy milk first thing in the morning. My real preference would be to achieve this with powdered milk as we don't tend to use milk for anything else (we both prefer black tea and neither of us eats cereal).

I realise that this will lead to a lot of "EEEWWWW how could you", "It's not real coffee unless its ground between a Buddhist monk's thighs" or "Powdered milk is the invention of Hades" type comments, but I don't really care.

I also know that I could mix the powdered milk into a saucepan, heat it on the hob and then use one of those little battery 'wizzy' things, but I'm hoping for something even easier than that if such a thing exists.

All I'm after is a quick and simple way to make a frothy coffee (flavoured drink) without 240v. So, basically a 12v Tassimo with no plastic pods:D:D

PS: I know you can get those little 2in1 sachet things, but they work out expensive and are not available everywhere.

Thanks in advance :D
I think to do it properly you will have to go down the inverter route. Nespresso make several milk frothers, this is the smallest I think.

Amazon product ASIN B004RQE6QC
www.amazon.co.uk/Aeroccino-3-Nespresso-Black/dp/B004RQE6QC/

It says it is 230W so a 500W pure sine wave inverter should be enough to power it and cope with any surge of current at startup. These are available online at a range of prices but a cheap one should be fine for such minimal usage. You would want to have it plumbed in but that shouldn't be too difficult.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
12v and enough heat to boil milk..... Coffee for supper maybe if you switch it on at breakfast.

I have, somewhere in the back of a cupboard, a 12v 1/2litre kettle.
I tried it at work...... A mug of water in the kettle, engine running and plugged in...... 15 minutes later, tea break over and the water was almost warm enough to wash your hands.
The reason, presumed, was the cold water was drawing all the heat from the element but it was just cooling the element quicker than 12v could maintain.

Put milk in a saucepan and use the hob.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have seen youtube videos of people frothing powdered milk. I think it depends on the brand and fat content. I do know that Coffeemate doesn't froth very well as I've tried that:(

The Bialetti looks good but would require EHU or an inverter. Although I have an inverter ready to fit I only want to use it when really necessary. We are planning to do a fair bit of off-grid camping so EHU will be infrequent.

Mmmm, I quite like that idea. As the kettle would be boiled, for SWMBO's tea, I could use the hot water in the french press to mix the powdered milk and then froth away.(y)(y)(y)

Mix the milk powder in a little cold water first before adding the hot water from the kettle.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How about 5ml of washing up liquid in it? You don't seem to mind what it tastes of after all :ROFLMAO:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Judge JA90 Milk Frother/Sauce Pot Amazon product ASIN B001U8GB18We use this. You just have to pump it up and down a couple of times after pouring hot milk in. Works perfectly we pair it with a Bialetti stove top ground coffee pot, but I guess you could use nescafe

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Hate to think what else you want to take with you. All adds to the weight and finding somewhere to store it all. We enjoy toasties but we have a gas one that works brilliantly on the hob. If you are wild camping then you also need some way of getting all this energy back into a battery. As for frothy milk. Stick milk in a pan and bring to the boil then get a manual whisk out. Should not take long to make it frothy.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Judge JA90 Milk Frother/Sauce Pot Amazon product ASIN B001U8GB18We use this. You just have to pump it up and down a couple of times after pouring hot milk in. Works perfectly we pair it with a Bialetti stove top ground coffee pot, but I guess you could use nescafe

Yes, this works well. Or even just heat milk in pan and use an Ikea battery milk frother. Works well.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...kers/produkt-milk-frother-black-art-50301166/

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

The Bialetti we is is a hand pump design, no electrickery needed
It’s the Bialetti" Tutto Crema Milk Frother

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
I think to do it properly you will have to go down the inverter route. Nespresso make several milk frothers, this is the smallest I think.

Amazon product ASIN B004RQE6QC
www.amazon.co.uk/Aeroccino-3-Nespresso-Black/dp/B004RQE6QC/

It says it is 230W so a 500W pure sine wave inverter should be enough to power it and cope with any surge of current at startup. These are available online at a range of prices but a cheap one should be fine for such minimal usage. You would want to have it plumbed in but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I already have a 2kW inverter that I intend to fit to the van when we get it. Mainly as a backup if necessary and secondly because I have it! However, the van only comes with an 80 Ahr battery. I hope to add another but these would take a big slug out of it.

12v and enough heat to boil milk..... Coffee for supper maybe if you switch it on at breakfast.

I have, somewhere in the back of a cupboard, a 12v 1/2litre kettle.
I tried it at work...... A mug of water in the kettle, engine running and plugged in...... 15 minutes later, tea break over and the water was almost warm enough to wash your hands.
The reason, presumed, was the cold water was drawing all the heat from the element but it was just cooling the element quicker than 12v could maintain.

Put milk in a saucepan and use the hob.

Yeah, fair point. Perhaps using 12v may not be the way to go :(

How about 5ml of washing up liquid in it? You don't seem to mind what it tastes of after all :ROFLMAO:

How very dare you!! I want FROTH not BUBBLES for goodness sake!

Hate to think what else you want to take with you. All adds to the weight and finding somewhere to store it all. We enjoy toasties but we have a gas one that works brilliantly on the hob. If you are wild camping then you also need some way of getting all this energy back into a battery. As for frothy milk. Stick milk in a pan and bring to the boil then get a manual whisk out. Should not take long to make it frothy.

A WHISK!!! I think you underestimate my degree of laziness ;) . The van will be fitted with a solar panel, but your point is well made(y)

Yes, this works well. Or even just heat milk in pan and use an Ikea battery milk frother. Works well.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...kers/produkt-milk-frother-black-art-50301166/

TBH I think it will probably end up with a jug, milk powder, hot water and a battery wizzy thing. I just need to find the right powdered milk.

The Bialetti we is is a hand pump design, no electrickery needed
It’s the Bialetti" Tutto Crema Milk Frother

Ah yes I see it's similar to the french press/cafetiere (y)

Thanks for all the comments. It seems that my ideal of a low current, 12V, instant milk heater/frother shall remain the thing of dreams.
I shall try a few milk powder, hot water and wizzy things/cafetiere combinations until I can get a taste/froth combination that's better than washing up liquid and is easy to create. I shall keep you informed:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strangely, semi skimmed milk will whisk to a very thick cream very quickly, which wouldn't look out of place sat on a Devon Scone....doesnt last long before it becomes milk again though.
Full fat milk won't do that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have a cafetiere just try that, should work fine.

I, however, like the 3-in-1 sachets and buy the cheapo ones, different makes have different strengths/taste so you might need to try a few, I currently have some 3-in-1 versions that cost £1 for 12 and they are lovely and nice for a less 'frothy' coffee, if I really want a very, very creamy version though I use another brand which costs £1 for 10, if you have a Fulton Foods shop have a look in there. I noticed that a lot of supermarkets now do their own versions which generally cost £1 for 8 with a variety of flavours

If you want it really frothy put the whole lot in the cafetiere and give it a good plunging!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
20 posts from leading experts just to put a bit of froff on milk.

No wonder Brexit is a bit slow.

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Just heat up the milk in a small saucepan and use this ikea milk frother. Battery operated and its what I use when i want frothy milk at home. And only £1. Cheap enough for you?

I'm not bothered about cheap, I just want easy :D2 . I also want to try using powdered milk.

First experiment today. 1/2 glass warm water, 4 teaspoons of coffeemate and a battery wizzy thing. After a minute or two I had a minimal amount of froth:(:(:(. However I transferred the mix into the cafetiere and gave it a few pumps (ooh err missus) and low and behold oodles of froth and it tastes.........

.......well just like frothy coffeemate TBH:rolleyes:. But it's a start :D2:D2:D2:D2

So it looks like the Bialetti or the Judge frother might be on the shopping list(y)(y)(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Errr - CoffeeMate is not powdered milk :confused:.

I may be being pedantic but it has nothing to do with milk - a non dairy whitener...

"Coffee-Mate Original is mostly made up of three ingredients: corn syrup solids, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and sodium caseinate.
Also contains small amounts of dipotassium phosphate, to prevent coagulation; mono- and diglycerides, used as an emulsifier; sodium aluminosilicate, an anticaking agent; artificial flavour; and annatto colour."

Doesn't quite project the same image of being Fresh, Healthy & Natural as milk does it.

Think I'll take mine black, thank you :confused:.

:D2

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I do like that motorhoming can be whatever you like it to be. (I personally like to take all the mod cons I can, where ever I go, but I appreciate that some people have a more back to nature approach)

I love my Tassimo, but I don’t like the plastic waste. (I also don’t like the milk pods). I am planning to replace the tassy with an Nespresso, which you can get reusable pods for.

I wonder if you can get any other sort of uht milk that is more recyclable and/or would froth better than powdered? I know you can get various sticks and other containers some of which may be recyclable, given the current backlash against single use plastic. I’m of limited use here, because my idea of a nice coffee is a pint of milk with an espresso in it!

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Errr - CoffeeMate is not powdered milk :confused:.

I may be being pedantic but it has nothing to do with milk - a non dairy whitener...

"Coffee-Mate Original is mostly made up of three ingredients: corn syrup solids, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and sodium caseinate.
Also contains small amounts of dipotassium phosphate, to prevent coagulation; mono- and diglycerides, used as an emulsifier; sodium aluminosilicate, an anticaking agent; artificial flavour; and annatto colour."

Doesn't quite project the same image of being Fresh, Healthy & Natural as milk does it.

Think I'll take mine black, thank you :confused:.

:D2

Fair point, well made. However, it's powdered and milk coloured and I had some in the cupboard and that's good enough for me ;)

I do like that motorhoming can be whatever you like it to be. (I personally like to take all the mod cons I can, where ever I go, but I appreciate that some people have a more back to nature approach)

I love my Tassimo, but I don’t like the plastic waste. (I also don’t like the milk pods). I am planning to replace the tassy with an Nespresso, which you can get reusable pods for.

I wonder if you can get any other sort of uht milk that is more recyclable and/or would froth better than powdered? I know you can get various sticks and other containers some of which may be recyclable, given the current backlash against single use plastic. I’m of limited use here, because my idea of a nice coffee is a pint of milk with an espresso in it!

I'm the same, I love my Tassimo, but I hate the fact that the pods and wrappers have to go to a 'special place' for recycling (in our case 15 miles away:mad:) and it needs 240V. I did hook up my Tassimo to my Ford Ranger Overlander via the inverter, but it drew such a massive amount of current that the battery took all day just to recharge from that alone using the solar panel.

As I put in my opening post, I am not a coffee snob. All I want is a warm, quick and easy to make, coffee flavoured drink which is consistent and takes minimum or no power to make.

The idea of using powdered milk frees up a space in the fridge and means we can go longer between shop stops. With a tub of decent (relatively speaking) instant coffee and another of powdered milk (or non-dairy creamer;)) I could have many days worth of drinks with minimal storage and effort.

Also TBH the coffeemate frothed up pretty darn well(y)

We are just waiting for our house sale to go through and then we will buy the Motorhome (as well as a much smaller house) and start living out our plans. TBH if I can find a simple coffee 'solution' for the van then I think I will be saying farewell to the Tassimo. The plastic usage is just not justifiable (at least not by me:().

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
It's CHEAP and EASY, I have been using one together with a Bialetti Moka Pot for years :D2:D2

Stop procrastinating and just BUY one fer Chrissakes!:rolleyes:

I already have one but it didn't froth my coffemate as well as the cafetiere pumpy thing.:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back