12v heater? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'd like to put a small heater 80 watts or and running off 12v and even as I write this I realise this is a bad idea because the leisure battery won't last very long. Do any of you run 12v heaters straight off a folding solar panel? I guess I charge the battery from solar then run the heater? Or is it just not practical to run a heater (like a tube greenhouse heater)?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not practical without a massive amount of solar and a bank of lithium batteries, so I would say forget it.

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Quite a few Funsters have some form of heating in their van over the winter in the mistaken belief that this somehow will prevent or combat damp when in fact it's just a waste of energy and cost.
The key to avoiding damp is to have some airflow through the van and by cracking open two vents as far apart as possible is all that is needed. However, this may not be the reason you are making the enquiry so I will go further to say running heating from solar power during the winter months whilst feasible is not worth the effort. You would need a shed load of solar and no doubt a large battery bank if running the heater continuously and further to that I'm not convinced a 12 Volt heater would raise the temperature inside a camper by more than 1-3 degrees anyway. I could be wrong though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks everyone. Yes this is an over-wintering thought. I had an idea that water won't condense under a certain temperature but yes I get that I'm asking the impossible. I do leave vents open, I'll just check in from time to time. When you visit your vans do you put any heating on ever? Do you drive the vehicles once you've winterised them?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks everyone. Yes this is an over-wintering thought. I had an idea that water won't condense under a certain temperature but yes I get that I'm asking the impossible. I do leave vents open, I'll just check in from time to time. When you visit your vans do you put any heating on ever? Do you drive the vehicles once you've winterised them?
No heating on as a rule of thumb. However, I do run my heater (Webasto) once a month for an hour as a form of preventative maintenance and this has worked well for the last 9 years and my Webasto still does not need a service. I also take the motorhome for a 20 mile run once a month, again preventative maintenance. When parked up, chocked with handbrake off and winterised.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've never ever heated our MHs over winter(or used a dehumidified which is another thing some people us) and have never had any issues. If there's a nice bright day (above freezing!) we occasionally open the vents to allow some fresher air in but prefer to have a run out in it instead as this allows air in and also gives the mechanicals etc a bit of a workout to keep them running sweet, ensures the tyres are rotated to avoid issues with flat spots/cracking and ensure everything is working correctly.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You will get more condensation with heat on as warm air carries more moisture than cold air.

Martin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you just heat the van occasionally over the winter, you have more chance of getting condensation as warm air hits cold walls. Best bet is to leave the heating off and open all the cupboards. Vans should have good ventilation anyway with all windows and vents closed, but opening vents a little would be better.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The problem with condensation occurs after a cold frosty night, everything unheated cools down to near ambient temperature. Then sooner or later a warmer day comes along, the warmer air carries more moisture and when it passes your cold engine block it cools it and condensation forms on it. Can't see it affecting the inside of the van much, maybe dense or metal things.

I keep my bike shed above 10c so it can't get too cold during the winter nights, comes out in the spring looking brand new.

So, if you want to heat the van to prevent condensation, you've got to heat all of it inside a garage ?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Wether it’s a good idea or not is irrelevant. 80W will draw 6.5A ishhhh from a 12V battery. unless you can replace that power at least at the same rate then it will soon stop. This time of the year, if I’m lucky and it’s sunny, then in the U.K. I will get 3A out of 400W of solar. Most of the dreary days about 1A. So, it’s just not practical.:gum:

That’s answered the question, Jim can close the thread now. :rofl:

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I do this, but the bed area is a long way from the bed. We're going to remove all the bedding, I'm not sure about the lounge seats and backs.

Is the Webasto the vehicle's own heater? What wattage is it?

Mel - I think we'll make a point of going for a run once in a while, we do visit the van occasionally anyway to check the batteries. I've not had an issue with flat spots on cars, how long do they take to develop?

Allanm thanks that's something we might well forget to do!

The key to avoiding damp is to have some airflow through the van and by cracking open two vents as far apart as possible is all that is needed.

No heating on as a rule of thumb. However, I do run my heater (Webasto) once a month for an hour

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Eberspacher / Webasto type cheaper to buy Chinese copy 12V 'air diesel heaters' are an efficient method of heating a van.
Initially the heater pulls 9A to ignite the glow plug then once lit basically it's just a 12V fan.
Fuel= diesel
I have fitted an 8KW version in My Motorhome and they are controlled thermostatically using an LCD Controller from 8C to 35C.
As a Motorhome Technician I do advertise a fitting service on ebay. The Motorhome floor needs to be drilled, 12V feed, underfloor exhaust and inlet etc The diesel can be supplied from an auxilliary see through 5L, 10L, 15L plastic fuel tank or in some instances plumbed in to the vehicle diesel fuel system.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Is the Webasto the vehicle's own heater? What wattage is it?

Allanm thanks that's something we might well forget to do!
Yes! Variable dependant on heating setting. It will draw about 8-10 Amps when on full wack and that is being drawn by the fan. The heater itself is self sustaining once the glow plug ignites the fuel. We normally turn it off after about 20 minutes in the winter as the motorhome is warmed up by then and has good insulation so need to run any longer.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Eberspacher / Webasto type cheaper to buy Chinese copy 12V 'air diesel heaters' are an efficient method of heating a van.
Initially the heater pulls 9A to ignite the glow plug then once lit basically it's just a 12V fan.
Fuel= diesel
I have fitted an 8KW version in My Motorhome and they are controlled thermostatically using an LCD Controller from 8C to 35C.
As a Motorhome Technician I do advertise a fitting service on ebay. The Motorhome floor needs to be drilled, 12V feed, underfloor exhaust and inlet etc The diesel can be supplied from an auxilliary see through 5L, 10L, 15L plastic fuel tank or in some instances plumbed in to the vehicle diesel fuel system.

RED Diesel?. / Domestic heating fuel?. only 5% vat if I remember.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back