12v Electric lunch box anyone? (3 Viewers)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Has anyone tried one of these or similar? Any good? Thought it might be interesting for heating things up while travelling.

Amazon product ASIN B07JHWNCXL
I can't seem to load a link to the one I found on Amazon, but it is called Travelisimo heated lunch box and it plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't see it doing much its only 40 watt, slow cookers are at least 150 watt look how long they take to heat things.

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
I bought one last week to heat meals up in work on 240v and it works brilliantly, not tried it on 12v yet,would recommend. Cheers Keith.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
There was a program on TV called bugger forgot the name it was about owner drivers who bid on line for work. They was a hippie type couple in a big Transit who used to truck stuff between uk and Spain. Who had one of those she used to put meat and veg into it in the morning and when they parked up at night they had a delicious hotpot/ stew

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
A pair of 12v 21w indicator bulbs connected to a battery and placed in a tin with a lid will do as good a job
Perhaps, but it wouldn't look as pretty, sigh ;). Ordered one from Amazon France (as we live in France), only €23.99 from them

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
A pair of 12v 21w indicator bulbs connected to a battery and placed in a tin with a lid will do as good a job
Now that's not quite true is it... most of the energy is turned into light not heat, tut tut.
Can't see it doing much its only 40 watt, slow cookers are at least 150 watt look how long they take to heat things.
...but it's only 1.5 litre capacity, most slow cookers are about 5 litres so that sounds about perfect.
Actually I do have a small slow cooker, just 1.5l but it's too hot, even on low for slow cooking, that's 120w

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now that's not quite true is it... most of the energy is turned into light not heat, tut tut.
And what is light if not heat.
A bulb is a glowing element.

We have a 60w tube heater in the downstairs toilet.... No radiator in there and told her it wasn't worth it.... Makes a cracking handwarmer in winter if you grasp it.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Clearly a lot of (wrong) guesswork on this subject.

...but, I used to use something similar when I was working, and it worked a treat, easily warming pies through enough to have to wait for them to cool down a bit, even cooked some bacon, to make a lovely sandwich 👍

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Clearly a lot of (wrong) guesswork on this subject.

...but, I used to use something similar when I was working, and it worked a treat, easily warming pies through enough to have to wait for them to cool down a bit, even cooked some bacon, to make a lovely sandwich 👍
Oh don’t! How I’m missing bacon 😭😭😭

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No I think John is right, bulbs are really inefficient and turn most of the energy into heat 😒
True also if the light doesn't escape the box its all turned back into heat anyway. When you look at LEDs power consumption compared to fillament lights all the rest is heat. The leds still get warm when running so they still convert a fair bit of power into heat.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sad person that I am I used to examine people in lightning exams. An ordinary indicator bulb produces about 10 lumens of light per watt if it turned all the electricity into light at the peak sensitivity of the human eye it would be 683 lumens per watt the rest is mainly heat or light of wavelengths our eyes aren't very sensitive to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back