12v control panel problem Autotrail Mohican year 2000 (1 Viewer)

David Aldred

Free Member
Oct 14, 2017
Funster No
Hi, I have a problem with wiring and wondered if anyone has had similar.
When running off leisure battery the control panel display is dim and volts reads 5v. Battery is at 12.5v. Checked voltage at back of panel, 12v when panel unplugged, 4 volts after connecting.
Verified panel is ok by running "new" positive lead straight from battery and all ok. I then measured resistance from +ve battery connector to panel and getting 3000 ohms, i think this is where i am losing the voltage when i plug panel in.
There are 2 +ve leads in the battery compartment that join together somewhere in the van, the resistance between these is 0 ohms but from either of these two wires to the control panel is 3k ohms so i need to find out where the 2 +ve wires in the battery box join the 1 positive wire going to the control panel, because i expect a loose/dirty/faulty connection any ideas? Driving me mad. Thanks. All works ok on mains.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@Jaws is well clued up on the wiring of Autotrails. I'm sure he will be along shortly. Welcome to fun.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Am not best on technology but don't some autotrail battery boxes have wiring for 2 batteries ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

David Aldred

Free Member
Oct 14, 2017
Funster No
Yes i think thats why there are 2 positive and 2 ground wires in battery box even though only 1 of each being used at moment but same problem with both sets of wires

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the later versions, both sets of wires from the batteries go to the sargent box... Where they are joined together by a busbar !!Really oddball over complex way of doing it.. On yours I believe it is even stranger as the two -ve rails are joined as you would expect but the +ve lines go to two relays where they are joined together when you start the engine so they can be charged but that is all !
You need to check the voltage of the battery with the brown and blue +ve wire as that feeds directly to the control panel
I believe it remains brown and blue.
If it is ok at the battery but not at the panel chances are it ( the wire ) has fallen foul of that most common Autotrail issue, trapped wire syndrome that has slowly worn through over the years...

I know I am proly teaching granny to suck eggs, but it is worth just slacking the battery terminal clamp, giving it a good jiggle and twist and re-tighten... It is the simple ones that catch us all out from time to time :)
Falling that, just cut the wire at both ends and run a new one.. It really is not worth the time and effort trying to find where the original wire has gone duff !

Addendum

I have checked and although the circuit I have SHOULD be good for Y2K models, there were some changes made.. So do a quick visual check to confirm the above info is actually relevant to your system!

OP
OP
D

David Aldred

Free Member
Oct 14, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the info Jaws, 12v from battery is ok, its only when i plug panel in andit draws a current that the voltage drops so i think you are right with the diagnosis of a wire problem somewhere.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the sargent box and where would it be? Never heard that term before. This could be where the high resistance is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Thanks for the info Jaws, 12v from battery is ok, its only when i plug panel in andit draws a current that the voltage drops so i think you are right with the diagnosis of a wire problem somewhere.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the sargent box and where would it be? Never heard that term before. This could be where the high resistance is.
Sargent is the manufacturer of the panel that autotrail use.

OP
OP
D

David Aldred

Free Member
Oct 14, 2017
Funster No
Thanks, haha just realised the circuit diagram I have has Sargent written on it, what a numpty lol, thanks again.
I have asked Sargent through their technical help line where the two battery cables join up in the van , awaiting their reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back