12amp Fuse for solar control box (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
:)I have looked in all the " normal" shops trying to local a 12amp spade fuse for the control box on my solar panel. I had reason to take the fuse out, I then placed it in a "safe" place , needless to say, at my age......I cannot remember the safe place.

Not to worry I thought, I will buy a new one. Question: where on earth can you get one?(y)

1,2,3,5,10,15,25,30 yup! Got plenty of them mate........thanks, have you got 12 amp........Errr Nope!

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Go for a 10amp it can't do any damage, if it blows then think again.

Thanks for that, I didn't know if a 10 amp would just blow.
The trouble is, I no nuffin about this new fangled eltric stuff!

Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
How many watts is your panel ?

That can determine the fuse size, not the controller.

Thank you for your reply papperjohn. As I said I do not understand these things so I cannot tell you how many watts. I have read the description on the box and it says that it is a, BP SOLAR GCR M1200 I googled that and whilst it gives loads of info, I do a Terry Wogan as in Blankaty Blank :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
10 amps would be fine for a 100w panel, if yours is a single panel and not enormous it will probably be 120w max and a 10amp fuse will be fine.
I have 4x100w and use a 40A fuse.
I think the thetford toilet also has an oddly rated fuse which costs an arm and a leg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you for your reply papperjohn. As I said I do not understand these things so I cannot tell you how many watts. I have read the description on the box and it says that it is a, BP SOLAR GCR M1200 I googled that and whilst it gives loads of info, I do a Terry Wogan as in Blankaty Blank :)
Just had a look at the spec for that controller.......max charge current and max load current is 12amps and the recommended fuse is 15amps.

12amp fuse will be specific to the manufacturer and impossible to find outside the controller manufacturers stock room.

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Since PV panels are current limited and the cable between the panels and the controller must handle the maximum output of the panels, there is no value in having a fuse between the panels and the controller.
If there is one there, it may as well be as big as possible.

I suspect the fuse in question is between the controller and the batteries, in which case it should be at the battery end rather than at the controller end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back