125cc motorcycle on a car licence (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
last month portugal enacted a new law permitting the use of a 125cc motorcycle of up to 11 Kw power by anyone who holds a basic car drivers licence which now counts as a full motorcycle licence for this category

spain and france already permitted this

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
last month portugal enacted a new law permitting the use of a 125cc motorcycle of up to 11 Kw power by anyone who holds a basic car drivers licence which now counts as a full motorcycle licence for this category

spain and france already permitted this

Whereas in the UK it seems as if there is a secret agenda to phase out motorcycles. The most brilliant idea being to make the test for a licence so difficult many people have fallen off and broken bones. Then we have our equivalent of the Gestapo that just stops any bikes they see and demand papers and look for any excuse to book them.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Whereas in the UK it seems as if there is a secret agenda to phase out motorcycles. The most brilliant idea being to make the test for a licence so difficult many people have fallen off and broken bones. Then we have our equivalent of the Gestapo that just stops any bikes they see and demand papers and look for any excuse to book them.

Not bitter about the way the boys in bodyarmour treat bikers then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not bitter about the way the boys in bodyarmour treat bikers then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Where did you get that idea !

Never had a problem - yet.

What really annoys me is all the tw@ts in Corsas with exhausts attempting make up for their deficiencies in the wedding tackle department who never get pulled.

In this area the worst noise is the Islander spotter plane that loiters around very low looking for bikers, the drone is terrible.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Where did you get that idea !

Never had a problem - yet.

What really annoys me is all the tw@ts in Corsas with exhausts attempting make up for their deficiencies in the wedding tackle department who never get pulled.

In this area the worst noise is the Islander spotter plane that loiters around very low looking for bikers, the drone is terrible.

Agreed:thumb: Pain in the chuff keep coming over our CL:Angry:.
My only consellation is that I know one of the guys that flies that dammed thing...............and even HE hates it!:ROFLMAO:

Jack the Rev

Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Passenger?

Does this mean that while in France and Spain one can take a passenger on their 125 scooter and be legal?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Agreed:thumb: Pain in the chuff keep coming over our CL:Angry:.
My only consellation is that I know one of the guys that flies that dammed thing...............and even HE hates it!:ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile:

I can understand that, every other air cop in the country gets a nice swish chopper, he gets a beat up obsolete waste of space. Unlike the choppers he can't do anything useful like using a searchlight or landing and giving assistance. It's just *cheap*.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
Does this mean that while in France and Spain one can take a passenger on their 125 scooter and be legal?
no it doesnt as it is country of orgin that counts hence you have to have road tax even if you dont use the roads for months as your staying over there and have to do a cbt etc on a bike unless you had your licence a long time lol we get caught for all sorts even if we not in the country :Eeek:

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
jack , yes ; you have a full licence to drive up to 125 /11Kw

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
jack , yes ; you have a full licence to drive up to 125 /11Kw
how do you work that out as you need to take a cbt on anything over 50cc depending on if you have motorcycle entitlement 50cc being a moped not a 50 cc motorcycle you have to complete the cbt then you can ride on the road as a learner on a 125 no bigger and you cannot carry a passanger .your cbt will last 2 years ,or you can do a direct access on a 500 but must be in radio contact at all times and not allowed out on your own ,i know this as i used to teach cbt and attended cardington in bedfordshire dsa agency test facility so no yo cannot ride a 125 on the roads and carry a passanger in this country or any other as the bike has to taxed and insured in country of orgin and your licence will not allow you to do so in any other country country of origin is the rule soz

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
how do you work that out ginge ?
in the uk the regulation is a moped up to 50cc [ presumably there is some power or speed limit ]
in the countries listed their regulation is 125cc and 11 Kw , that's up to them !

look at the opposite position ; in the uk you can pass your car test at 17 [ unless things have changed ]
in france you must be 18 , and it is illegal for the 17 year old to drive unaccompanied , full uk licence or not ; they have another law , they can drive at 16 with L plates as long as they are accompanied by either a qualified instructor or by someone that has had a full licence for a minimum of 7 years , with restricted speed [ good idea in my view ...too many youngsters pass their test and have big accidents , look at the mortality rate ] ; if they have been driving a couple of years will be less likely to happen

anyone believe they could come to UK and drive a car at 16 therefore ? no , didn't think so

the vehicle being legal in the country of registration that is supposed to travel ...not the driving licence regulations ...even then it is not so clear , in france and spain they legally have minicars with tiny engines , ligiers , things like that ; can they be used on british roads ? not a chance!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Brian, come south for the winter mate, in another mans country politics dont matter.. and its warmmmmmmmmmm.

Doug...

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
how do you work that out ginge ?
in the uk the regulation is a moped up to 50cc [ presumably there is some power or speed limit ]
in the countries listed their regulation is 125cc and 11 Kw , that's up to them !

look at the opposite position ; in the uk you can pass your car test at 17 [ unless things have changed ]
in france you must be 18 , and it is illegal for the 17 year old to drive unaccompanied , full uk licence or not ; they have another law , they can drive at 16 with L plates as long as they are accompanied by either a qualified instructor or by someone that has had a full licence for a minimum of 7 years , with restricted speed [ good idea in my view ...too many youngsters pass their test and have big accidents , look at the mortality rate ] ; if they have been driving a couple of years will be less likely to happen

anyone believe they could come to UK and drive a car at 16 therefore ? no , didn't think so

the vehicle being legal in the country of registration that is supposed to travel ...not the driving licence regulations ...even then it is not so clear , in france and spain they legally have minicars with tiny engines , ligiers , things like that ; can they be used on british roads ? not a chance!

ok the lers all go and do what we want in a diff country lol and yes you can use a mini car in the uk and on a motorcycle licence check that one out

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Cleveland Police used to have one of them before they got a chopper. Made a heck of a noise. If it's the same one that your lot has got please thank them for buying it :roflmto:

Graham

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cleveland Police used to have one of them before they got a chopper. Made a heck of a noise. If it's the same one that your lot has got please thank them for buying it :roflmto:

Graham

==========
Since December 2001 Cheshire Police have operated a Britten-Norman Islander fixed-wing aircraft, registration G-CHEZ.On 27 February 2009, the Constabulary confirmed that the Home Office had agreed to jointly fund the purchase of a new £1 million Eurocopter Aircraft. Which will be operational 24 hours a day.[4]
==========

Does 2001 tie in ?
We all hope the chopper replaces the Islander, though it's going to cost a bomb operating 24 hours a day - presumably with in air refuelling.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
==========
Since December 2001 Cheshire Police have operated a Britten-Norman Islander fixed-wing aircraft, registration G-CHEZ.On 27 February 2009, the Constabulary confirmed that the Home Office had agreed to jointly fund the purchase of a new £1 million Eurocopter Aircraft. Which will be operational 24 hours a day.[4]
==========

Does 2001 tie in ?
Can't remember Brian. I have a feeling it was here later than that. Just done a bit of Googling and it looks like it might have been shipped up north to Geordieland.

We all hope the chopper replaces the Islander, though it's going to cost a bomb operating 24 hours a day - presumably with in air refuelling.
I can just imagine you running round with a bucket to collect any that drops for use in your van :roflmto:

Graham

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
What about hiring a 125 cc bike in France on a car licence?

I cant beleive how hard it is to get a bike licence now. Is it right that it takes 2 years?

I took mine in 1984 when I was 18 and it was really easy. You did part one riding around a playground driving in and out of cones etc and stopping in boxes which was a great laugh and dead easy and part two was even easier. The bloke at the test centre didnt even follow you on a bike, he just stood on the street corner telling you where to go. You couldnt see him half the time and he couldnt see you. I remember turning one corner and pulling a wheelie (yes on my test) because I knew he couldnt possibly see me (I was 18 and a cocky little sh.t) and then for the emergency stop he hid behind a parked car and threw a cardboard box out at you!!! Classic. Passed first time on a knackerd old Honda CB100 with dents all over it, no panels and a wheel brace as a side stand. Went out next day and bought a 500cc bike. Happy days!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Passed my bike test in 1963 while I was in the TA, the bike was a BSA nobody seemed to know if it was a 350 or 500cc. It was given to the TA before the war so we didn't know how old it was. I remember that the best way to start it was to put it on the stand, put the choke on then play about with the advance/retard lever & hope it didn't backfire & throw you off. Hated the monster at the time but wouldn't mind having one now. At that time you could ride up to a 250cc on L plates & once you passed your test you could then ride anything.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I remember a friend, now passed on, who couldnt get the hang of starting a honda 500cc single, which I could start easily..

he summised that it was my extra weight :ROFLMAO: and loaded a rucksack with full cans of food ::bigsmile:

he got there in the end... the kick back was fearsome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back