Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have herd this discussion a few times but i don't think we have had it on here yet.

I have worked on auto electrics to the point where my work has featured in What Car Hi-Fi magazine.

And one day while building my self build i stumbled across the fact that most plasma TVs with external power transformers are actually 12 Volt.

I have now had two of this type of TV fitted in my motorhomes/Campers and have had no trouble at all regardless of power loss or surge.

I have read that this type of TV is fitted with sensitive components that will fail under certain power circumstances and a 12 volt regulator should be used.

Personally i think this is bull along with the TV and electrical nerds i have seen replying to this subject.

What do you guys think?

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
I have herd this discussion a few times but i don't think we have had it on here yet.

I have worked on auto electrics to the point where my work has featured in What Car Hi-Fi magazine.

And one day while building my self build i stumbled across the fact that most plasma TVs with external power transformers are actually 12 Volt.

I have now had two of this type of TV fitted in my motorhomes/Campers and have had no trouble at all regardless of power loss or surge.

I have read that this type of TV is fitted with sensitive components that will fail under certain power circumstances and a 12 volt regulator should be used.

Personally i think this is bull along with the TV and electrical nerds i have seen replying to this subject.

What do you guys think?

Hi there i agree with you on this point .we have a tv that works well on 12volt or 240 with no problems
Betty:thumb:

R

Ralph

Deleted User
Well technically they are correct. They work on 12volt and the van is really around 14volts (13.8?) when on the mains.
However... Firstly if it's on the mains you would be using the TV PSU anyway wouldn't you? and although the alternator pumps up the voltage you shouldn't be watching TV whilst driving anyway :Smile:
I've also seen it said that it would invalidate your warranty. Like you're going to tell them what you did if it packs up anyway? "No mate I've only ever used it at home on the proper power supply"
Personally I have a Roadstar which is designed for vehicle use anyway so I can just sit here and look smug ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Digger Driver

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ralph.
I have a 7 inch plasma Roadstar and if you take the back off it is fitted with the same components as a normal TV.
Along with In-car DVD players.
Mobile phone chargers have no surge protection either apart from the same in-line fuse system used for anything else.

R

Ralph

Deleted User
I wouldn't take the back off my 8" (well if we're comparing size ::bigsmile:) so I can't comment.
Mobile phones aren't 12 volt. The adaptor drops it to whatever so I don't think it's the same.
Actually I did go to buy a standard TV exactly as you say but I was so impressed with the Roadstar when I saw it that I bought that instead. I don't watch a lot of Tv so 8" was OK and it's only 10 watts!

Bottom line is that you are not likely to have trouble in my view.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi

With a real charger you can get 15 Volts (higher on versions that desulphate the battery)

15 Volts is 25% higher than given by the standard PSU, That said, like digger I have never had a problem...................

I would like to add that on a few TV's it actually uses less power (ah) to use via invertor and power the standard PSU, this is especially the case if you use a 12 Volt regulator, these are notoriously costly in terms of power used, in general Invertors are now very efficient.

Plus with a small invertor you have the option to power many items, Phone, camera and battery charger (AA AAA etc)

M

merlin wanderer

Deleted User
tv's and power surges

What do you guys think?
the same thing happens in your home and goes unnoticed
power can fluctuate from 230v to 240v you don't have any probs with
pc's tv's ect:thumb:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Merlin

it can go over 250 Volt and as low as 210 Volt too (euro spread), but this is less than 10% variation, compared to 25% for 12v system, also AC powered items are less susceptable to variation than DC items.

That said I still agree that its unlikely to be a problem powering a 12v TV from leisure battery.

M

merlin wanderer

Deleted User
Hi Merlin

it can go over 250 Volt and as low as 210 Volt too (euro spread), but this is less than 10% variation, compared to 25% for 12v system, also AC powered items are less susceptable to variation than DC items.

That said I still agree that its unlikely to be a problem powering a 12v TV from leisure battery.

thanks George good response:thumb:

R

Ralph

Deleted User
So I think we're all in agreement. Go for it but don't blame us if we're wrong ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back