Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Morning all, I have a 6 month old Mercedes Hymer which has decided only to work the 12 volt system when either the engine is running or on plug in, has anyone suffered the same problem.
Thanks Barrie

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That sounds like a duff leisure battery/batteries not holding any charge at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
AGM battery probably died, quite normal. On my new Hymer I fitted 3 Gel batteries would never have AGM's again after my experiance in the last van.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There should be a fuse somewhere very close to the batteries, try checking that its intact, its not unknown for the fuse to blow & if it keeps blowing there's a short circuit somewhere. A meter popped onto the leisure batteries should show of they are faulty or seriously discharged.

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Just had two nights away all ok, got home switched engine off no 12 volt

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There should be a fuse somewhere very close to the batteries, try checking that its intact, its not unknown for the fuse to blow & if it keeps blowing there's a short circuit somewhere. A meter popped onto the leisure batteries should show of they are faulty or seriously discharged.

If it was a fuse it wouldn't work on hook up or with the engine running. The power still goes through the batteries.

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Just about cements my thoughts, but not happy had so little use as nearly always plugged in

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
After being on charge for a while, disconnect and try a week current draw item. If it doesn't work that should indicate a fuse/wiring problem. If it does work leave the light on and see how long it lasts which should indicate battery condition. I'm no expert, but I seem to recall someone somewhere saying Schaudt units may require a reboot, but as I say I'm not certain.
Mind you, if I had a 6 month old Mercedes Hymer, it would be the dealers problem, not mine, and although I wouldn't be rude to start, I'd leave them in no doubt that I'd require a working MH ASAP at no cost to myself in either time or money.

Malcolm

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Just switched all off, and boiled kettle with independent inverter. Then switched back on all now working, so it would seem batteries ok. Will keep playing. Thanks all.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If it was a fuse it wouldn't work on hook up or with the engine running. The power still goes through the batteries.

Not so in an Electrobloc vehicle.

All 12V power is distributed within the Electrobloc, there is a 50A fuse next to the hab battery with a cable back to the Electrobloc.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Does the phrase 'split fuse' come into play? I can't remember what it was but on last van had problems with this when 12v not charging.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back