12 volt / Dual volt televisions (1 Viewer)

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
:helpsos:

Hi.

Am looking at buying a 12 volt tv, for when not on hook up.

Can anyone recommend a good one at a reasonable price ? The ones advertised as 12v seem to be quite expensive ?

I see that a large number of LCD & LED tv's have a box which alters the voltage to 12v DC ? Would these function ok with a regulated lead from the 12 socket ?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought one from John Lewis with 2 years guarantee and its a 22 inch,with integrated DVD player, it has a transformer box in the middle of the cable and we an take the plug end out and plug a 12 volt connector in and it works fine on 12v and 240w.

OOps forgot price it was £219.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi asda are doing an led 19inch with dvd for about 119 quid .it as a magic box . they recomend you use a voltage stabilizer . ring 0844 824 3059 thats the luxor helpline .they are very helpfull.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Cheers for that.

Have just looked on the Asda website & they have dropped it to £98 :thumb:

As I spend sometime without a hook up, would i be better with an LED tv ? Does anyone know the difference in power consumption ?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
weve had loads of different tvs over the years and always avoided the expensive ones sold specifically for camping. our current one is a 19 inch one from aldi, under £100 with 3 year warranty. works perfectly on either 240v with the supplied brick or 12v with an easily sourced or made lead that plugs into the standard 12v socket

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
:sorry2:

That was for the 19" LCD, the 19" LED is down to £109.

As anybody got / had a Luxor, would like it if someone could comment on the quality.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any TV with a voltage converter (black brick) will do the job.

specific 12v motorhome TV's may be stronger built to withstand the mobile environment and have better viewing angles but they're still TV's.

i have a 22.5" full HD TV/dvd/usb jobby in the front and an old 19" 'anologue' with a satbox in the bedroom.

both wired for 12v only, 22.5" one via a stabiliser and rear one direct to 12v, and both give excellent results.

after having two cig lighter plugs melt I have no faith and use the better quality and higher amp rated DIN plugs and sockets

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
This is ours, we paid £119, works well. Had to pay a few quid extra for 12v lead. Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers for that.

Have just looked on the Asda website & they have dropped it to £98 :thumb:

As I spend sometime without a hook up, would i be better with an LED tv ? Does anyone know the difference in power consumption ?
some of the Aldi offerings are now coming 230v only......thats why i still have an old anologue.
the new 19" LCD Aldi one i bought for the Rv is 230v only. :Doh:

you do need to see if it has a 'black brick'......no brick, no 12v

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi be careful its the led thats a new one very recently the lcd doesnt have the 12volt box.
i questioned it only last week in our local store they had both .they gave me the number for the help line . i wanted to know about working abroad . some do some dont . but i was told the led does . might get one.
my mate got one a few years ago from asda its ok .but the screen is one of those you have to look at square on . but his is an early lcd . they tell me led isnt so awkward . but i dont know for sure .yet.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi be careful its the led thats a new one very recently the lcd doesnt have the 12volt box.
i questioned it only last week in our local store they had both .they gave me the number for the help line . i wanted to know about working abroad . some do some dont . but i was told the led does . might get one.
my mate got one a few years ago from asda its ok .but the screen is one of those you have to look at square on . but his is an early lcd . they tell me led isnt so awkward . but i dont know for sure .yet.
My point exactly Alan.

and they dont display them, or if they do its in a cabinet and you cant see the back, so you cant open the box and look.
usually at least one 'specials' item has been opened by someone...even some food items :Eeek:

i did ask the assistant but they were clueless as to what i wanted to know and wouldnt open one but took a chance expecting 12v.
just stuck it in the kitchen at home :thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i saw the latest with a black box thats why i questioned them last week. talking with the luxor helpline i think i will be buying the new led version . but open the box and make sure it as the box. ring that number all good info.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
see att
terry

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    2.9 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if you are going to use on 12v make sure you get a fuseable cig plug fitment if that is the route you choose and make sure the fuse is right for the tv
My latest Akura flat screen hd ready built in freeview and dvd is a 4.5 amp fuse the old one was only a 2amp fuse.
easiest way of checking what the tv is is look at the connection on the back of the tv if 12v with black box it will have the small connector (like speakers on a music system- dont know what they are called) if it is 240 only the cable will either be permanent attachment or it will be the shape a kettle lead fitment plug
Mapins sell a voltage staberliser unit for 12v if you need/want one of them to run it through

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
The Curry's Essentials TV/DVD combo is great and you can also add USB storage (memory stick or USB Hard Drive), we have a Hard Drive full of HD films. Quality is suprisingly good for such a cheap TV providing the viewing angle is set right.

It's this one - .

It comes with a 240V to 12V transformer, so you can ditch that and plug into the 12V system. However, it is VERY recommended (as already mentioned in previous posts) to connect it via a regulator, we use this one from Maplin - Link Removed

Set to 12V output, it provides up to 3A for the TV. When on, the TV uses less that 2.5amps so perfect. One of the multiple sockets provided with the unit fits the TVs power socket.

Simples!

Upvote 0

bobh

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
12 volt tvs

Have you tried looking on the classified adds on this motorhome fun site

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi guys.

I came home from work last night & my Mrs had already been to Asda & bought the Luxor 19" LED tv for £109. It does have a black box reducing it down to 12v (& has dvd & freeview), will try it out this weekend. I have also since bought a stabilised 12v lead, just in case any power spikes occur.

I also have a satellite system on a tripod with an hd receiver which has both a 24v & a 12v lead with it.

::bigsmile: :thumb:

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Stay well clear of MEOS 12v TVs - ours was the most useless hunk of junk I've ever bought.

The DVB-T failed, the power socket failed, the DVD player kept crashing, and there's no customer support worth talking about. Complete waste of money.

We've since bought a Foehn & Hirsch 15.6" 12v unit from eBay seller ac-dc-tv and have been mightily impressed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Have tried out the Luxor 19" tv, using the 12v stabiliser/regulator, this weekend.

Easy to set up, Picture was great, EPG was great, DVD easy to use.

It does need a 4-pin plug on the stabiliser to plug into the tv power socket. Mine only had a normal round jack, but was able to get an adapter from Amperor

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back