12 month tour (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I love reading of everyone's travels but for me, the best way is foremost as a thread here on the forum - like Mousy and co have done - or secondly again on here but in a blog. The second of those is more likely to be forgotten by members but the first, if marked to watch, never gets missed.
Sadly, trying to remember the name of a blog off the forum to click on will soon get to the bottom of my list.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I have just phoned RAC arrival through camping and caravanning club for a quote for breakdown cover £121.50 (7.4 m long 3.850 ton) which I thought was very reasonable but it only covers me for 90 days in Europe and only 1 call out per trip, is this normal of breakdown companies or am I looking in the wrong place to get cover. by the way I paid £341 for the gas bottles and I don't have the adapters at the moment but will order a set this week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I've just spoke with Safeguard and got a quote of £365.65 for me and wife to drive with 365 days cover on both insurance and breakdown with no limits of length of trip sounds ok to me, I have insurance till march 2016 with CCC, that cost me £269.00 and they have quoted me £165.00 for breakdown cover. So as I am typing this I will be going with Safeguard and cancelling CCC all to change on 1st of November when we start our trip.
I have also ordered the filling adapters from gasit

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Filling adapters arrived today from Gasit, still waiting for Get Gas (avongas) to send me replacement hoses as they sent the wrong one last week what a pantomime its turning out to be. I called Caravan and camping club today they will only cover me for up to 60 day breakdown so safeguard it is.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good luck and keep us up to date. I have 2 years and 5 months before I can follow you. (unless Camelot finally get it right tomorrow night)

Clive

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just wondering what the pet passport rules are as to time out of the uk

For breakdown cover, did you check out ADAC? cheaper and Europe based

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
(Clive) is that 29 month to retirement or a career break, mine is only a career break, so far anyway

(the big 1) I have checked the web site for pet passport its seems that providing that all paperwork and requirements are up to date there is not time limit.
Just a question I have been told by someone putting a comment on my blog that I need 3 speed sticker on the rear of my moho because its 3.850 tons does anyone know anything about tis I cannot find owt on internet?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a lot to see along the north coast of Spain but expect the weather to be iffy in November. We explored a bit of the region earlier this year,having planned to do it the previous year but changed our minds at the last moment because of the weather

I had a thread running all the time we were away which I have found is the best way to get suggestions and comments.

Broken Link Removed

When I got back I wrote it up as a blog, mostly for my own interest as it serves as a good record.

Broken Link Removed

The difference between the two approaches is striking. The thread has had over 14,000 views, the blog of the same trip less than 400.

I think this is down to the way folk use the forum - mostly just looking for new posts and blogs don't seem to show up in this.

I can't emphasise enough the benefit I have found in the suggestions and recommendations from others which a thread should generate. We would have missed a lot without the benefit of the knowledge and experience of others.

Reactions: CWH
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Filling adapters arrived today from Gasit, still waiting for Get Gas (avongas) to send me replacement hoses as they sent the wrong one last week what a pantomime its turning out to be. I called Caravan and camping club today they will only cover me for up to 60 day breakdown so safeguard it is.
We have used Safeguard for four years now and had no problems with them might be a little more expensive but you know you'll be covered.
Good luck with your plans

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
(DBK) cheers for the advice I will be continuing with a blog which I started in 2011 I mainly did it for myself as a aide memoir because I can never remember places I have visited (must be a age thing) and for the kids to read back home, do I just start a new post when we are setting off and what section would be best to start it in

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Has anyone booked in for Christmas around the Murcia area. I've been looking at La Manga rally through caravan and camping club, I wasn't going to book anywhere, but reading the forums it sounds like it gets quite busy so may book for 20 days around Christmas any advice greatly received.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Just changed my insurance from CCC to safeguard £348 for 365 days in Europe for insurance and breakdown cover for me and wife to drive. So I have to assume that no one is booking for la manga due to no responses, I guess suck it and see will be the best option, I have only 8 days to work we are soooo excited.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi all
I have just been making enquiry's about joining Brittany ferry's club voyager, £100 registration £115 membership to bring down the cost of our ferry to Spain in November, is there any other funster thinking of doing the same because if two of us joined at the same time it would work out at £100 +£115 +£60 associate member total for two memberships £275 that £137.50 each instead of £215 both have same privilege's

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
filled up with gas yesterday only cost £20 to fill 2 11kg bottles that's a right saving, I paid £22 for my last 6kg calor bottle

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi there just an update only 2 days more to work before the career break starts. we are delaying our set off date due to the expected arrival of our 4th grandchild he is due on the 12th of November and the idea was to book ferry for the week after he is born, but we could not wait, so we have taken a brave step and booked the ferry to Santander for the 22nd November, (she is carrying low so I think she will be early lol) (y)

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
filled up with gas yesterday only cost £20 to fill 2 11kg bottles that's a right saving, I paid £22 for my last 6kg calor bottle

Hi I am also from Wakefield and picking up my first Motorhome this Saturday. Where did you get the gas from please? Looking forward to reading your blog for future ideas.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi I am also from Wakefield and picking up my first Motorhome this Saturday. Where did you get the gas from please? Looking forward to reading your blog for future ideas.
Nice one, what you getting etc, I got my bottles from of eBay and filled up at Redbeck on A638, it was my first fill and they were very helpful.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
well funsters that it, no more work for 12 months worked my last shift today :LOL::D:)(y)
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of "Sit Back, Please Yourself and Enjoy" (even if only temporarily ..... )

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of "Sit Back, Please Yourself and Enjoy" (even if only temporarily ..... )
Yeh cheers for that, its a trial at being permanent, I want to see how much it cost to do it over a long period, the longest we've done is 5 weeks and we did spend quite a lot but that was a holiday where this will be less traveling and more chilling.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
that was a holiday where this will be less traveling and more chilling
I think that's the knack to getting it right - it's not a holiday, it's life - it's just a nicer way of living (y)

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nice one, what you getting etc, I got my bottles from of eBay and filled up at Redbeck on A638, it was my first fill and they were very helpful.
Hi I am picking her up tomorrow at 9 a.m. yippee....she is a T-620 Ford Tribute 4 berth.....soooo excited I may not sleep ha ha. Will be checking out your new thread. It would be great if you could add costings to your blog if that is not being too rude of me to ask. As a newbie I am sure the costings will come as a bit of a shock, but like you I would love it to be a full timer in a few years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back