Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hello and good evening to everyone, Well we have finally taken the 1st step to doing some full/long timing, we have applied for a 12 month career break starting on the 17th of October, we toured in France and Spain for 33 days last year and loved it so we thought, we are not getting any younger lets give it a go. we have a Auto trail Cheyenne 696g, we are really nervous at the moment but quite giddy as well. will be looking through your site for ideas and information, to get the best out of what we are going to do. look forward to speaking with some of you in the future.
Nigel and Sue

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello.jpg welcome.jpg

Good luck and safe travels. We are retiring early but can't do as you are - family responsibilities....... so I hope you do a blog and we can all follow your adventures!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Good luck with your travels and sure you will have a fantastic time. As Puddleduck says do a blog so all can follow your adventures. We had a MH the same model as yours until just before I retired. It had very comfortable driving seats so good for long trips away.

Kath

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Fantastic, you won't regret it, as Chillbeanz says life too short. There are a few of us on here following the same road, plenty more room for another.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good times ahead decision made, now the fun starts lots of information on here, maybe pencil in Morocco between December and March , have a read of the Morocco threads see if you fancy it cheap to live and sun, any of those that have done it would happily give advice, so much to do and see the year will fly by. Keep us all updated, have you got a fun sticker in your van that way when you are travelling if you bump into a Funster immediate Ice Breaker. Happy Travels.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Good luck with your adventure :)

What are your plans as very interested, a year on the road a loooong time.
Personally would avoid southern Med during high summer (good over winter destination though) and head to Scandinavia during their shortish summer. Greece would be nice and take in some islands etc...Croatia and Italy.. Oh what fun!lol Cant wait until wife retires:coffee:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi and welcome. All this travelling is new to me and I am loving it. Started out in Jan 2014 and have no intention of stopping yet. You will have a great time. Can't offer any advice on 'abroad' as I am still in uk and lots more to see yet !

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Hi...and welcome :hi: Hope you do manage to find time to do a blog so we can follow your adventures too. In the meantime, can I suggest you read up on as many blogs as you can..including all the info & advice on here...its surprising how much information and tips you pick up on in a very short period of time...but most importantly...just enjoy yourselves along the way.:smiley:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My son of on a south America 5 month adventure in a few weeks
he is hopeless at best of times at keeping in touch:( but a blog just maybe a chance of following his progress. Can anyone recommend a blog software package please..or does it work like that...

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi to you all,
Thank you for all your replies, The plan so far although can be subject to change as advice comes in, is to get the ferry from Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santander/Bilbao, travel along the north west coast of Spain head down to Portugal/Algarve. along the south coast taking in Gibraltar, I was there 35 years ago don't think it will have changed much though. we will stay in the Murcia region for Christmas and start making our way northwards, getting back to the UK at the end of June once the ACSI period has ended lol, then Cornwall, Wales and the lakes for the rest of the time, that's all we have planned so far, but like I said its going to be, what we want, when we want, if we want etc.
I've done a blog with Google Blogger from when we got our first motorhome, please have a quick look and let me have your comments good and bad its http://www.mdljswift.blogspot.co.uk/ we will probably continue with that blog although I am sure there are easier blog site to use. 215 days to the off, I fitted a new solar panel last week, I love all the preparation's.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
My son of on a south America 5 month adventure in a few weeks
he is hopeless at best of times at keeping in touch:( but a blog just maybe a chance of following his progress. Can anyone recommend a blog software package please..or does it work like that...
Blogger and MarsEdit for offline updating....

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Good Morning everyone
205 days to go
New LED lights fitted all around the moho, carpet coming out next week in favour of cushion floor. Dog passport sorted. Insurance cover sorted with caravan and camping club for 365 use abroad. any advice on breakdown cover as CCC only cover for 60 days.
Did anyone look at my blog, I did say I would take bad comments as well as good lol

Deleted User
U Hello welcome to fun :)
Had a look at your blog, all looks good to us. We use blogger too, seems to work well.
Will follow your travels, always interested when people have dogs, we have three so good to get tips on dog friendly places.
We got our MH last June, did 43 days in Spain and Portugal Oct to Dec. Back out now since 25th Feb in Spain hopefully 12 weeks travelling this time.
Good luck on your adventure.
Ps we use safeguard for insurance it covers 365 days abroad and also includes breakdown for same.

Lin & Nige

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Did anyone look at my blog, I did say I would take bad comments as well as good lol

Hi @swidy , If I may comment..........

I don't know if you have a particular 'setting' turned on but the blog seems to open up in one massive page...... not a real problem but would affect people with low data rate because all the pages load at once. I think you might benefit from more photo's and less text? this is of course a personal issue and depends on why you have written the blog in the first place! I have done a few and they have been primarily for my family and friends so are sometimes 'personal' by nature. However if your blog is also for the benefit of others it might help to 'get to the point' with less words and more pictures :)

I think one of the problems when writing a blog is working out what to leave out and what to put in! It can often become more of a diary (no problem with that but might not hold the readers attention?). I think it is important to avoid such an epic that the reader loses interest (hence more photo's, less text:D)

What I have tried to do with mine is try and provide the reader with a quick and easy insight into what can be seen or experienced even without visiting the area themselves.......... I.E. straight in with the stuff that matters!

Lastly if you set the default screen to a wider page with bigger text it would help the older readers (like me :()

I say all this in the best spirit by the way, but you did ask;) Enjoy your travels (love the canal boat:))

Cheers (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I take on board what you said chockswahay, I didn't do the blog for any other reason than to remind my self where I have been lol.
You are correct less chatter and more pics, I'm not sure how to separate the headings into separate bits but ill have a look. I've took your comments in the spirit they were intended I'm not easily offended lol

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome, won't say much more than that as you don't appear to be hanging around, brilliant (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On Breakdown insurance. As you are spending some of the year in the UK you could simply join AA/RAC/Greenflag or whatever, and for your time in Europe RAC Arrival will cover up to 9 months.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi There everyone
Long time no typing, we only have 13 weeks (91 days) to wait now to our 12 month career break, the only plan we have at the moment is, Ferry to Santander and turn right staying near the coast all the way round Spain Portugal Spain and up to France, I've fitted two solar panels on the roof total 240watts just installed two new 135amp batteries and a 1500 watt inverter, I think that's the power side sorted unless someone knows better of course them please fell free to advise. just wondering about gas. I use calor in England any advice on whether I should get one GASIT bottle set up priced at £149.50 or is there a cheaper way please.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hi , we have 2 bottles , but I have only refilled one bottle once in 4 weeks , hot water and gas hob only .
2 bottles gives you a reserve , but you could manage on one . winter may be different with heating on as well .
Enjoy your plans .
p.s. we have a 120w solar panel and 250amp of batteries , not run low on elec. Used hook up one night at parc verger to charge shaver and camera batteries .

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Can anyone help with companies that do long term medical insurance and breakdown cover for motorhome please, its a mine field looking on net:(

Deleted User
Some motor insurance companies include breakdown cover inc overseas, Safeguard who we are with do 365 days cover inc.
Medical, we don't take it out for 3 month trips and hope for best with EHIC within Eu. I believe some people have take out backpackers insurance for a year cover though, might be worth looking into.

Lin

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
2 x 11kg refillable gas bottles fitted this morning with the external fill cap all went well, I have also got 2 new 130 amp batteries and a 1500watt inverter, only 18 more work days before I finish on the 1st of November, the only plan so far is to ferry to Santander or Bilboa first stop I think will be Pico's de Europa's just the though of 12 months and no work is so exciting even without going touring.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
2 x 11kg refillable gas bottles fitted this morning with the external fill cap all went well, I have also got 2 new 130 amp batteries and a 1500watt inverter, only 18 more work days before I finish on the 1st of November, the only plan so far is to ferry to Santander or Bilboa first stop I think will be Pico's de Europa's just the though of 12 months and no work is so exciting even without going touring.
Have you got filling adapter for lpg you will need.all 3 types
We will down Spain after Xmas heading for Morocco insalla

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...