DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Now that is seriously strong. Probably enough to blow you over do you think?
It might be just possible to crawl into a wind of that speed but any sand in the air would be very painful. Most people couldn't stand up in a wind less than half that speed. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
It might be just possible to crawl into a wind of that speed but any sand in the air would be very painful. Most people couldn't stand up in a wind less than half that speed. :)
Those speeds will have been gusts, and that's even worse. I've had trouble up fells in Cumbria when it's only blowing 30, but gusting 40. Just don't go near an edge . . . .

I live on a hill in Derbyshire - the worst I've known here was blowing at us 55 for several hours straight across the Peak and that wasn't good. Where I stay in the Western Isles they regularly get winds of 100mph and that's at ground level. I guess it dries the washing.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fine scottish weather

Could be handy if it's behind you going up ....certainly help with the clutch.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I grew up in Thurso, the most northerly town on the mainland. 70 mph winds were not unusual in winter. In those days the dustbins were galvanised - none of that crap plastic stuff. If a bin lid came off and started rolling down the road it was a lethal weapon. They were usually held on with old cycle inner tubes tied to the bin handles and stretched over the top.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I can remember the mild but very, very windy winter of 1999 when I was on my nightly run in my lorry from Glasgow to Warrington (Lymm) and back, coming down the M6 between Jctns 40 & 39. The wind was over 70mph and gusting to 90mph. I counted 13 lorries/vans blown over in a 8 mile stretch.:Eeek: The most amazing sight was two 40 ton lorries had been blown over on the northbound side, you could stand between them and almost touch them both. I couldn't figure out how it was possible.
On the way back up they were coned off and I had a look as I passed (as you do!) They must have pulled over on the hard shoulder and were blown over from a standstill. That takes some serious wind!
I had a few few hairy moments myself that night:sicker:, my bum was gripping the seat and my concentration was at 200%. A bit scary to say the least. From December all the way to February there were few nights when the wind wasn't blowing a gale. One night they gave a me a Luton van as it was a light load and I could hardly get above 40mph into the South Westerly. Made for a very long night!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Where I stay in the Western Isles they regularly get winds of 100mph and that's at ground level. I guess it dries the washing.
It wouldn't do the trees much good ..... if there were any:whistle:

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It would certainly stop our french friends from going to the back of their vans and letting it all hang out.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Get in your car, get to 55 mph, open your window and carefully stick your hand out. Now consider that at double the speed you'd have four times the force on you.

As a biker I long ago learned not to wave at speed.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ah but us southern softies survived the 1987 hurricane.... now that was a bit blowy!!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Ah but us southern softies survived the 1987 hurricane.... now that was a bit blowy!!
Wasn't a hurricane. Michael Fish told me so:LOL: He should know he makes the weather sticks all those clouds and lightning bolts on the map

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I bet the Fencing & Roofing contractors will be happy, someone always benefits from a natural phenomenon. I can still remember years ago Fence panels were almost impossible to get, we were all told at the time "Oh! they have all been exported to China" Never did believe that somehow, but prices shot up thereafter.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun