1000 Miles..... (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
It arrived in the middle of October and today it rolled over the first 1000 miles! That's actually a lot more than my car has done in the same period.....

Farm.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Nice looking bike.
I got mine at the end of October and it's done 922 miles so far.
I have to keep a note of the mileage because the hub gears need an oil change after 5000 km

View attachment 451873
I've got the same gears on mine, they're brilliant ⚙️🥰

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Nice one..
one thing I have noticed this year is a huge increase of folk taking exercise in all sorts of forms but particularly cycling..
I got a gaming fenix last Xmas yhat the kids gave me and just deleted my years cycling record the other day to start again ..it was just short of 1600 miles..
If you had asked I'd have said a good bit more..it felt like it :ROFLMAO: ..it certainly starting to get a lot harder:whew:
Safe peddling in the coming year..(y)
Andy..

Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Hello Neil, yes, it's the 14 speed Rohloff speedhub in a Thorn Mercury.
If you buy any bike from Thorn with a Rohloff hub you have a 100 days to reject the bike for a full refund if you don't get on with it.
I do like it a lot (especially in the winter months) and it definitely won't be going back.
The only thing about the 100 days is that Thorn hate cycle stands on their bikes whereas I love them.
They do recommend and allow the Clickstand, though, which you can see I am using in my picture.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm a purist... no battery or motor 🦵💪☺️

A certain sense of achievement is to be had when arriving somewhere under your own steam 😎
The fact is with the assist of a battery you still arrive under your own steam only a lot further journey can be had.
75 years old and 60km on a off road ride is the norm,impossible without assist and much more enjoyable.

Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
The fact is with the assist of a battery you still arrive under your own steam only a lot further journey can be had.
75 years old and 60km on a off road ride is the norm,impossible without assist and much more enjoyable.
I'm with you all the way with regard to electric bikes - they are brilliant additions to the bike world. A friend has an Orbea Gain which is very difficult to distinguish from a normal road bike. The battery isn't huge (and can't actually be seen) but it gives a little bit of assistance if and when needed.
Bikes like these allow cyclists in the 60+ age bracket to continue riding with club riders as they have done since they were in their 20s.
There are some great GCN videos featuring electric bikes and I'm pleased to see they enthusiastically endorse them all the way.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm with you all the way with regard to electric bikes - they are brilliant additions to the bike world. A friend has an Orbea Gain which is very difficult to distinguish from a normal road bike. The battery isn't huge (and can't actually be seen) but it gives a little bit of assistance if and when needed.
Bikes like these allow cyclists in the 60+ age bracket to continue riding with club riders as they have done since they were in their 20s.
There are some great GCN videos featuring electric bikes and I'm pleased to see they enthusiastically endorse them all the way.
Absolutely, my observations unfortunately are that many that may ride a bike but are not particularly cyclist in any form decry electric assisted bikes and yet so many that have cycled at say club level are delighted to see people out on electric assisted because at least they are out cycling and particularly the infirm and older generation are able or still cvcling.

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Absolutely, my observations unfortunately are that many that may ride a bike but are not particularly cyclist in any form decry electric assisted bikes and yet so many that have cycled at say club level are delighted to see people out on electric assisted because at least they are out cycling and particularly the infirm and older generation are able or still cvcling.

I started on an electric bike! It got to the stage where all the electric assistance was doing was just taking care of the extra weight of the ebike. So I moved to a road bike and now cycle further and faster. No doubt when I get older I will move full circle back to the electric bike....

Anything that gets people out cycling is a good thing.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I out a 1000 miles on this bike over a week doing lejog 18 months ago.

How the times have changed!!!

Cheers James

IMG_20201109_113256062.jpg

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
Had my Gepida (Bosch drive) a few years now, utterly reliable over the 17,000km so far. Serviced a few times and three sets of tyres (anti puncture, never had one) and two sets of brake pads. might try the Orbea Gain sometime....

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It arrived in the middle of October and today it rolled over the first 1000 miles! That's actually a lot more than my car has done in the same period.....

View attachment 451872

That looks stunning !!!

Bet it's nice to ride and has a "go through anything" feeling and i'm sure it's fast enough on the road too.

What have you been riding mainly ?

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
That looks stunning !!!

Bet it's nice to ride and has a "go through anything" feeling and i'm sure it's fast enough on the road too.

What have you been riding mainly ?

Mainly riding on the roads but it must have done over 200 miles off road. We have a disused railway line not far down the road that is quite muddy at this time of year and it handles it quite well. It's not quite as fast on the road as my old Kuota road bike was but the Dolan is 1kg heavier and at the moment it has wider, knoblier tyres on it. We will see in the summer if the 1kg makes a difference. Certainly liking the DI2 as the gear changes are so smooth that you hardly notice them and it can be programmed to change the front gear automatically to try to keep the chain line straighter!
Best thing about it is being titanium any little scratches I have put on it can be buffed off with 2000 grit wet and dry paper....try that with a painted bike.

Here's to many more miles pedalled in 2021.

IMG-20201230-WA0000.jpg

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds great and a perfect example of a super multi-purpose machine(y)

And Di2 it has to be(y) there's no going back once you've used it:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back