35 +years with breaks
And they only wanted 100 or younger

Ralph-n-Bev

Funster
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009
A member on here had a problem of their father being unsafe driving. Can't remember who now. Asking what she should do a few weeks back. Quite a varied response.

I thought she should take the keys away. For everyone's safety . But lots thought it unfair to do so.
I suppose it depends on weather your 50 like me , or 80 plus.........

It would be interesting to know what happened , is dad still driving ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
MH
SunLiving Lido M45SP
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes he is but only for very short local trips to the supermarket at the end of the road. He drove down to Oxford (from NE England) a couple of weeks after he got his new car and was terrified - has driven very little since and is now thinking about giving up the car.

Wildman

Free Member
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
they all suffered the same fault, driving down the middle of the road and a danger to oncoming traffic, I wonder why that is.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A member on here had a problem of their father being unsafe driving. Can't remember who now. Asking what she should do a few weeks back. Quite a varied response.

I thought she should take the keys away. For everyone's safety . But lots thought it unfair to do so.
I suppose it depends on weather your 50 like me , or 80 plus.........

It would be interesting to know what happened , is dad still driving ?
SO, it was you was it, you young bug*er!! My daughter wouldn't say who told her to take my keys! I had to hide them in my commode! You deserve a horse whipping, which I would have the greatest pleasure administering, if only I could find my driving glasses, and ear trumpet....:rofl::rofl:

Ralph-n-Bev

Funster
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009
Yes he is but only for very short local trips to the supermarket at the end of the road. He drove down to Oxford (from NE England) a couple of weeks after he got his new car and was terrified - has driven very little since and is now thinking about giving up the car.
I bet you are so relieved , I wonder, did he watch this program. It may make him feel better about it all.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
MH
SunLiving Lido M45SP
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bet you are so relieved , I wonder, did he watch this program. It may make him feel better about it all.
Yes, especially as he goes just as they are opening on the days when the specials come in. He is home long before it gets busy. If he does watch the programme he'll just say what a good driver he is. 65 years and only a few bumps!!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes, especially as he goes just as they are opening on the days when the specials come in. He is home long before it gets busy. If he does watch the programme he'll just say what a good driver he is. 65 years and only a few bumps!!
Father in Law is the same, except he drives from Wales to the NE regularly and with few rest stops. There's no telling him, he rants that we're trying to keep him off the roads and spoil his fun. HE's right on both counts!

OP
T

tambo

Free Member
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
It's a shame really as I can see from their point of view that it takes away their freedom.but some of them were frightening ...The old fella in the beautifully restored Austin nearly caused a pile up at one point but i see he died in July :(

Even the one who had the driving instructor access him was terrible yet the instructor said he was fine despite him grabbing the wheel several times

I really think compulsory testing at 70/75 should be introduced

My mum's 71 and still a very competent driver but some are downright dangerous

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It's a shame really as I can see from their point of view that it takes away their freedom.but some of them were frightening ...The old fella in the beautifully restored Austin nearly caused a pile up at one point but i see he died in July :(

Even the one who had the driving instructor access him was terrible yet the instructor said he was fine despite him grabbing the wheel several times

I really think compulsory testing at 70/75 should be introduced

My mum's 71 and still a very competent driver but some are downright dangerous
Bet your opinion changes when you get to 70/71..........(y)(y)

OP
T

tambo

Free Member
MH
a class
Exp
Nah it won't because I'd still feel crap if I caused someone's death.

Young drivers are penalised and pay ridiculous insurance premiums yet insurers give massive discounts to older drivers who simply aren't safe anymore

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I live out in the country now and the thought of having to call Brecon Dial a Ride at some not to distant time in the future is a bit of a bummer really. My personal experience suggests that eye sight testing should be more rigorous than it is currently, my F-in-L is over 80 and is a type 1 diabetic. He consistently passes the eye tests but can't see diddly-squat on the road. No member of the family will travel with him any more.

OP
T

tambo

Free Member
MH
a class
Exp
I live out in the country now and the thought of having to call Brecon Dial a Ride at some not to distant time in the future is a bit of a bummer really. My personal experience suggests that eye sight testing should be more rigorous than it is currently, my F-in-L is over 80 and is a type 1 diabetic. He consistently passes the eye tests but can't see diddly-squat on the road. No member of the family will travel with him any more.
That's it and as much as I can sympathise with older drivers losing their freedom etc its madness that there's no compulsory health check or anything just left for the driver to decide if they feel ok or not!

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services