1 year on... well 13 months or so. (3 motor homes) (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
Just renewed my membership a few days late, I only realised when I was in read only mode.. I registered on the 20th September 2017 mainly for info as I had purchased a 1999 Pegaso 62, mistake number 1 as it wasnt really suitable for my needs and from a back street dealer... however it was used for a few stays away, Stratford upon Avon, Santa Pod, Hunstanton, Yarmouth, Bridport etc. It was in much better condition when I sold it a few months ago and I lost money on it... New owner has contacted me and is using it and enjoying it...

Motorhome 2, purchased a few days after sale of the above, big dealership in the east midlands, I was much better prepared, my requirements were large garage, fixed rear bed, towing capacity of 2 tonnes plus. Bought a Chausson. big garage, fixed rear bed and towing capacity of 2500 KG. went to pick it up and the guy doing the handover found things wrong with it (minor) wilst doing the handover, to be fixed before we left... it was also a 150 BHP model so ideal for towing.. First problem was when I stopped for fuel about 10 miles down the road, upon restarting the dash oil level showed it was only half full..... later the same day when I had arrived home I was tinkering with it and making sure I was familier with how everything worked and I found that all the things to be fixed before I drove off had'nt been... Sent an email that night and waited until the next afternoon having expected a response first thing the next day then I phoned and the handover guy was working so I asked to speak to the boss and laid right into him, he agreed that no response to my email was not the way he liked his business to run. He want off to find the mail and agreed to phone me back later, I missed that call but called him the next day and he agreed that we would arrange a date for me to return the MH and for all the faults to be fixed. All was good with the world until I went to hook up my trailer for a weekend away, it was then noticed thatthe tow bar had a 1350KG restriction on it. this was reprted back to the Dealer who promised they would consult with the tow bar manufacturer to see why. I found the problem myself shortly after, the salesman had quoted the weights from the manufacturers chassis plate and not Chasson's (he had been selling motorhomes for many years). Anyway to cut this short I obtained a full refund less 1 months road fund, think I dodged a bullet here as it became obvious that this low mileage vehicle had had quite a hard life.

Motorhome 3, Purchased a few days after the above in july 2018, I found a few suitable motorhomes on auto trader, and made several enquiries regarding the towing capacity from the converters Chassis plate. I got one answer from a guy who was not so far away with a Adria Coral 660SL that met with our requirements. We went off to look and agreed to buy if we got a refund on Motorhome 2, which we did. this one had come from a MH fanatic as it had every extra known to man with it, twin reverse camera's, complete new spare wheel as well as the original can of goo and compressor, fully converted to LED lighting and a box of spare LED's, two mains hook up cables, a bag of hook up adaptors, two awning straps, collapsible water bottle, aqua roll 40 litre, grey waste tank (alongside the built in one), Avtex HD TV, with a suitcase satalite dish and receiver and terrestial TV aerial on the roof, Solar panel and controller, toad alarm that also locks all the doors, towbar fitted with 13 pin electrics, 2 Fold up chairs, bag of grey flexible waste pipe for remote draining of grey wast tank, ground pegs and mallet, a bag with full instructions for every fixture, original and aftermarket, Fold up table, Fold up Kitchen (that we are still to take away anywhere with us). and with just 24,000 miles on it. Not perfection quite, the drivers mirror folded back in the wind on the way home and a couple of weeks ago I had to remove and reseal the window above the tables as it had a small leak. Oh and working out why the fridge didnt work on gas (See my other post for details of that) Its only 130 BHP but i can still tow my 8.5 metre trailer nearly fully loaded quite well, in the couple of months we have had it we have done a tour starting just outside north London calling at Ross on Wye, Kendal, Fort William, Loch Lomond, Inverness, Loch Ness, Edinburgh, and York. Last week we went to France for a few days Mont St Michel, Saint Malo, Middle of nowhere (friends) and finally Paris. Both Trips 1000 miles plus with no problems, also several weekends at Santa Pod and I'll probably go to see my sister in norfolk in the next week or so.. I managed to find the Fiamma Kit that allows my Fiamma Privacy room (Kept from first motor home) to be fitted on an Omnistor awning so saved a bit there.

Quite an eventful 13 months.. and hopefully we have ended up with something we will keep for several years and use and enjoy.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
You have been busy, they say the 3rd van is the keeper, one with the right layout etc

We also have an Adria Coral S680ST and love it, only problem is what to replace it with?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What on earth are you towing in a 8.5m trailer? I would have thought maybe a glider, but not at that weight!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
What on earth are you towing in a 8.5m trailer? I would have thought maybe a glider, but not at that weight!

Caused quite a caos in Tesco's car park.... and I can't get a full side on shot as I'd have to stand so far away to fit it all in that you would not be able to see it... :)

longveh2.JPG long veh1JPG.JPG long veh3.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I take it the trailer has a 1.5mtr drawbar ? the Adria being 3500kg gvw :)

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
I take it the trailer has a 1.5mtr drawbar ? the Adria being 3500kg gvw :)

I think its 1.4 but 1.5 is close enough.... MH is 3500GVW as stated and has a 5500GTW, my trailer is rated at 2500 KG and weighs 750KG which gives me 1250 KG payload to keep it under the GTW or slightly more if the MH goes under as that weight can be transferred to the trailer. the car weighs under 700Kg...

Bed Length of the trailer is 7 metres which is the max without getting into the indivisible load regulations.

Trailer was originally going to be a 200kg deal but going to 2500 meant that it would be a bit stronger...

Took a while to figure it all out and get the right combination, but now not only is it legal but it looks right which is probably the main thing when travelling as less likely to be stopped if it looks done properly, MH also has air assist on the rear axle.
Ahh, A Specsavers moment then eh...:rolleyes:

Couldn't you pull that as a Toad and save some train weight? ;)
Ahh, A Specsavers moment then eh...:rolleyes:

Couldn't you pull that as a Toad and save some train weight? ;)

no tread on 4 tyres would put me at 12 points straight away :-(

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
no tread on 4 tyres would put me at 12 points straight away :-(

But the look on the copper's face would be priceless....!

I have to say I think that's the most unusual MH combination I've seen. Not sure the Adria would do too well at "Run What Ya Brung" though!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think its 1.4 but 1.5 is close enough.... MH is 3500GVW as stated and has a 5500GTW, my trailer is rated at 2500 KG and weighs 750KG which gives me 1250 KG payload to keep it under the GTW or slightly more if the MH goes under as that weight can be transferred to the trailer. the car weighs under 700Kg...

Bed Length of the trailer is 7 metres which is the max without getting into the indivisible load regulations.

Trailer was originally going to be a 200kg deal but going to 2500 meant that it would be a bit stronger...

Took a while to figure it all out and get the right combination, but now not only is it legal :-(

Is it legal? As the trailer is plated at 2500kg, your train weight is actually 6000kg.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
but now not only is it legal

As someone else has pointed out it is not legal. The boys in blue merely look at the plated gross weight of the trailer to see whether you are within the gross train weight. Your rig is not. Maybe you could get the trailer down rated?

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
I did consider down plating the trailer and if I did I would merely fit the second chassis plate along side the original, then the trailer would retain it's original capacity and the second plate would comply with the motorhome GTW...

Bottom line is they would have to weigh it to prove that is either legal or not...

As I understand it the MH manufacturers now state the Towing capacity and add a note saying that the towing capacity is increased depending on the weight of the spare capacity of the MH.. for example if the MH has a capacity of 500Kg and you only load it with 250Kg then you can increase the towing capacity by 250Kg, downgrading the trailer to 2000Kg would mean that indeed it would be illegal if I towed more than 2000Kg, we tend to put more on the trailer than in the MH on this basis..

Last edited:
OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
now this is the sort of thing the police / VOSA look out for
how not to tow.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
I've give you a funny for that but only because it's so obviously wrong how on earth could the drive ever think it was okay!

Apparently M5 services yesterday Cullompton.... yesterday

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Wildbill ... you not bought another 'doer-upper' have you? :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you think I am actually that stupid
:(
Bill
Er ... well .... are we talking about buying another MH requiring a lot of TLC or putting one on a trailer like that ... my answer will depend on which you are talking about ... :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back