🤣 Newbie Wondering, How On Earth Do Yon Choose A Motorhome? 🤣 (1 Viewer)

Randy Rapido

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Howdo.

We are couple in our 50s looking for our first motorhome. Gone are the days we used to fill the car with kids and camping gear for a 2 week stint in France. The kids left home, so we treated ourselves to a caravan and now we are evolving into motorhomers!

Having been to some shows and many dealers we’re in awe of anyone that can choose a motorhome that suits them 🤣🤣🤣

We are getting there slowly, we”d like the large lounge and love an end washroom with wardrobe over a 2 bike garage. At 6’3” I’d like a bed around 2m long, oh yeah it has to be longitudinal so there’s no climbing over each other. Oh yes
, a large fridge, we shall need lots of alcohol if we’re to be spending time together in a small space. Decent payload too.

We know it’s all about compromise, best we are finding is the Chausson 620, although Burstner are in the running (640 I think)

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Decide what features are important to you, categorize them in "must haves" and "nice to haves".

If buying new start trawling through the manufacturers and Dealers websites and draw yourself up a shortlist of say 10 models. then go and look at each one, sit in it move around in it (both of you at the same time). That should narrow your choice.
If buying 2nd hand. check dealers websites for matches to your criteria as above, or just spend time visiting dealers and looking and sitting in vans. When you find the right one you'll know it. Don't be pressured into getting the first one you see.

Remember what suits one person might be abhorrent to another. Buy what suits YOU!

When we went looking for a new van we started out looking to buy an Adria, nearly brought a Frankia and settled on a Radpido.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
The latest fashion is drop down bed over centre lounge. We have end bedroom with island bed and large garage. No lounge to talk of but we never miss it. When theres just two we find we are fine with the swivel seats. Carado t339.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have an island bed Chausson Allegro 97. The bed is across ways so there are other options than longitudinal beds. We don’t have much lounge as a result of the bedroom but there are always compromises in motorhomes. Have you thought about renting a few different layouts to see what suits you? We rented a few before buying and changed our minds from what we thought we wanted initially.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Have you got a dartboard? 🌝
I would prioritise layout first then payload and don't fear a European make.
Good luck.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
For our first motorhome we didn’t have a clue! Had investigated a bit but really just wandered around showrooms aimlessly.

Didn’t have a lot of money but hubby stumbled across a vehicle which had just been part Xed - not even cleaned up by the dealer and we just fell in love and bought it. Loved that van and I cried when we sold it but it was getting on a bit and so were we and didn’t want to keep climbing over each other in the night and we also by then had an idea of what’s what eg payloads.

Because first van was old and had nearly fully depreciated we didn’t lose any money so hey ho

Good luck in your search

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are getting there slowly, we”d like the large lounge and love an end washroom with wardrobe over a 2 bike garage. At 6’3” I’d like a bed around 2m long, oh yeah it has to be longitudinal so there’s no climbing over each other. Oh yes
, a large fridge, we shall need lots of alcohol if we’re to be spending time together in a small space. Decent payload too.
Hi and welcome to the Fun. :welc:

My Burstner Ixeo 680g is up for sale on here and ticks all your boxes, especially as it’s on the Maxi chassis and weight uprated to give a payload of approx 950kg.

Broken Link Removed

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
w2f
A big thing for us was having a fixed bed. Making a bed up every night becomes a pain ,especially if your away for a long time.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I think you are doing exactly the right thing by not rushing in. There will undoubtedly be compromises, but act in haste, repent at leisure as the old saying goes!

Only advice I can give is forget manners (to a certain extent), trample every prospective purchase as if you had to live in it full time and ask loads of questions. Make up a list of must have's and would like's. Lots of makes you can go online and do virtual tours for a general idea.

When you have made your final choice, let the dealer/person you are buying from know that you want to film the handover on your phone for future reference and get them to run through everything you need to know and anything you can think to ask. Bring along a friend who might have some experience if you can to check that everything is working as it should.

Finally, don't forget to ask details of warranty cover, terms and conditions etc.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Layout is important and it looks like you’ve decided what you want/need regarding the bed a garage area, now you need to think what you’ll be using the van for. Will it be U.K. trips only or mainland Europe too.
Will you use it all winter and possibly for going skiing, if so you want a winterised van, your budget will tell what you can go for.
We’ve just bought our 4th van which comes with double floor and single beds with large garage underneath, we had it uprated at first registration to give a good big payload.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Payload,payload, oh and payload. Also if you have fixed rear beds make sure the lounge at front has ample space to relax in especially if it's raining.good luck.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Location location location, Oops i mean layout layout layout

Welcome aboard

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't do what we did, went to the local dealer looking at the cheapest secondhand Van's and ended up buying the most expensive A class they had.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Firstly w2f

Secoundly suggest paying the subs for free access to Jim’s buying guide

Thirdly might be worth hiring a van for a week if you really can’t decide after visiting a few shows

Good luck 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back