☹️ Rotting floor 🙁 (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Swifter,
Very impressed with your efforts and particularly how quickly you did it. You should be very proud of yourself.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I wouldn’t worry about it in your case . It’s the plastic cover that caused all the problems as the wood that was getting wet from the unsealed side trim was unable to ever dry out and was completely sealed in when damp . Thank god I found the problem when I did because it was never ever going to dry out . I am disappointed with myself for buying a motorhome that had these problems but I will also never make the same mistake again . If you think the underside of the motorhome needs a paint then just sand back a little and then paint it. It’s not a very quick process as you will be on your back with most of the paint trying fall off the brush so it takes a while . Luckily I was able to paint the replacement boards before fixing them in place . I only needed to paint a few of the underside areas directly so it wasn’t a long process .👍🏻👍🏻
Don't kick ya self for buying a part duff one, you've sorted it cheaply. Half full bud

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Ours was a 2005 Swift and had the same problem. Swift accepted that it was a design fault and replaced the floor free even though it was out of waranty.
Someione we know went to collect his from the factory after repair and there were 20 of the same year waiting to be done.
They collected it and returned it to us although they wanted us to go to their factory. We refused.
If you want to go this way don't let them pur you off.
They know all about it but I expect you'd have to be strong with them about it to get it fixed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Ours was a 2005 Swift and had the same problem. Swift accepted that it was a design fault and replaced the floor free even though it was out of waranty.
Someione we know went to collect his from the factory after repair and there were 20 of the same year waiting to be done.
They collected it and returned it to us although they wanted us to go to their factory. We refused.
If you want to go this way don't let them pur you off.
They know all about it but I expect you'd have to be strong with them about it to get it fixed.
I had heard about Swift replacing the floors on older vans but also heard that started to refuse from about 2014 onwards . I would imagine that even if they did agree to carry out the work on this now 15 year old motorhome it would be away for several months . May I ask what year they did the work for you ?

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Different vehicle I know. I have a patch of rot in my floor, behind one of the rear wheels.
I could repair it myself but i'm taking it to Cannock Resprays , post April 12th.
If their quote is not too shocking they will do it , they have an excellent reputation.
Just metioning it in case you might want a quote.
Also Dave Newell in Telford perhaps , noting you are near Hereford.

If doing it myself I had planned to cut the floor out using a plunge tool, epoxy the edge , fix a marine ply section back in and marine ply the outside surface with a thinner section to give it strength and seal off the repair. All done with wicked adhesives and epoxy. I can (just) get to the inside surface.
Mine is similar I guess , outer ply, then foam insulation, then ply then inside floor covering.
Total thickness about 1.5"
How did you get on at Cannock Resprays ?

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
How did you get on at Cannock Resprays ?
They have quoted now , it was eye watering.
So much so I am finding alternatives.
However, I think they are a very professional outfit and very sincere in their dealings with customers.
Any work they do will I hope be A1.

I will be getting a quote from Hayes Leisure next week.
I bought my van from them.

Over the phone the discussion went ok but I will see how it goes.
Hayes know Chaussons and where they fail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back