“Change Oil” Message (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The company I worked for before retirement operated around a hundred company cars. All had to complete at least 100,000 miles before being replaced.
A percentage were put on an oil change regime, whereby the oil was tested at intervals. Then it would be changed or not, based on the test results.
Some cars covered huge mileages without oil changes and they had no engine failures.
The company saved a great deal of money.

Geoff
Did anyone check if the 2nd owners had to replace engines at 110,000 miles ?
just asking 🥴

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Prior to buying my 2017 Bailey Autograph 79-4T (Boxer based) the oil was changed by an independent garage who couldn't reset the oil change light so it came on 12 months too soon - ie 1 yr instead of 2. I took it to my local Peugeot dealer to get it reset for another 12 months and they were quite hostile towards me demanding who did the service and before they would consider resetting the light they also demanded to know in writing the make / grade and even the quantity of oil used and even the part number of the oil filter. Unbelievable. Fortunately the garage supplied all the info and they eventually relented and reset the light by plugging in a laptop. Took over 4 hrs of arguing with the and the van wasn't even in its warranty.
I would add that the service receptionist spoke to the previous garage over the phone to obtain all the info but she demanded it in writing in an email. When she received it she didn't even read it, screwed it up and threw it in the bin in front of me! At that point I was just about to blow my top but I needed the light resetting as I was just about to go into limp home mode. The van not me:LOL:. Very stressful.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When is 2 years not 2 years
Post 4

Yes but I did say previously:

Why not get the oil checked first, if it's okay no need to the change.

So if the oil is checked then the OP would know.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
So, you buy 5ltrs of oil and leave it in the container for a year.
Or... You buy 5ltrs of oil and pour it in the engine but don't run the engine for a year....

Where's the difference, both lots of oil are in sealed containers and unused..

Oil deteriorates with use, not time.
F.F.S, its been in the ground for millenia

The warning is for people with more money than sense
Sorry papa, your just wrong , oil detiorates with time too, and while it's been in the ground for millions of years what you buy is refined oil with additives, and it's those that degrade, the van would soon be royally shagged if you put crude oil in.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
It's a free world but if your going to let 20-60k worth of van sit on your drive for what is probably, 90% of its life the least of your worries is a light on the dash, change the oil dammit and don't use idiots that can't/wont reset the light. Oil is literally it's life blood, short change it and it will bite you by becoming a clattery old nail.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Personally I do not get why people do not understand why Oil is so important and should be changed regularly. Its the stuff that protects the engine. I do mine annually the temperatures the engine gets up to, the micro metal and other particulates that are suspended in for oil will wear the engine. so for a few quid refreshing the oil the engine will be kept in the best possible condition.

Fiat wouldn't state 2 years if they didn't think the oil was good enough for 2 years. Even I am surprised at this given that they could be making a killing on doing nice simple oil changes every year and making loads of money! I change my oil more often on my sports car that has a hard life and does track days. But a bog standard unstressed diesel pottering around at up to 60 mph doing the job it was designed for - nope.

Out of interest though - is the Fiat and the Peugoet not the same engine? If so why are the service intervals different.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Fiat drivers Italian. Peugeot drivers French in their respective countries. Could be a clue there?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Plenty of stories on here about cab/chassis units sitting at the converters for a year or two before being finished and sold, I wonder if they get their oil changed by the converters ? :unsure:

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Fiat drivers Italian. Peugeot drivers French in their respective countries. Could be a clue there?
close but no cigar.. the french version is detuned and has less bhp ergo less power and stress.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Fiat wouldn't state 2 years if they didn't think the oil was good enough for 2 years. Even I am surprised at this given that they could be making a killing on doing nice simple oil changes every year and making loads of money! I change my oil more often on my sports car that has a hard life and does track days. But a bog standard unstressed diesel pottering around at up to 60 mph doing the job it was designed for - nope.

Out of interest though - is the Fiat and the Peugoet not the same engine? If so why are the service intervals different.
Having owned and own a range of sports cars some with little use some with lots the oil is changed at the end of a track day or once a year if just road use . My oils on all non track vehicles are changed once a year and the sound good a little mechanical sympathy and care helps keep them running sweet

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
ok, you asked the question, or even stated 2 years is fine. you need to comprehend that there is a differance between a vehicle that is used every day and mostly empty ( a van doing 60k a year like i used to do) and a motorhome that by comparison is lucky if it does 5k and spends its life on your drive. The daily van has a much easier life sitting on motorways at temperature. You are expecting your van thats upto 4 tons and used once a month or 6 months, to cope with dirty old oil and its moment of greatest strain stone cold and hauling 4 tons and you want to tell me it has an easy life ? i dont think so. a 2 year interval is for sales purposes, not for the benefit of the van, but is for high mileage vehicles not motorhomes that sit around all day stone cold.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Peugeot Boxer 2.0 ad blue Euro 6. Elddis Magnum 185. Not been anywhere for the last year, started yesterday ( no probs) to move it & noticed ‘Change Engine Oil’ message on dash. Only 3500 miles since new (2019). Does anybody know if there is a way to delete the message or is it a dealer job? Oil can’t be that contaminated, surely? Thanks
Try, 'with the ignition off, press and hold down the oddometer buttons, turn on the ignition,(but dont start the engione) and keep button depressed for 10 secs.. release, turn off ign and then back on...all should now be reset

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Peugeot Boxer 2.0 ad blue Euro 6. Elddis Magnum 185. Not been anywhere for the last year, started yesterday ( no probs) to move it & noticed ‘Change Engine Oil’ message on dash. Only 3500 miles since new (2019). Does anybody know if there is a way to delete the message or is it a dealer job? Oil can’t be that contaminated, surely? Thanks
Problem is, Oils are 'Hygroscopic' ...which means they suck moisture out of the air, or as in the case of a vehicle, mainly through the Breather pipe... that is why oils are recomended to be changed by date as well as mileage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back