“Ad-blue low” warning message and dashboard light. (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When on our way home at the end of last week we got the above warning light. I wasn’t surprised as we had covered 5.6k miles from new.

We were carrying Ad-blue so topped up with 3 litres, the light went out and we continued home, about 120 miles.

Yesterday I filled the Ad-blue tank from the container I had at home. When I started the engine the light and warning reappeared and are staying on.

I need two bits of help......

Is there something I have missed?

Can anyone recommend a Peugeot Commercial dealer in South East Wales who can check it out under warranty.? Griffin Mill, near Cardiff, say they are unable to help as “they have no current ramp capacity”.

With the lockdown situation throughout SE Wales I want to, at least, have the problem recorded under warranty even if I can’t drive to the garage to get it sorted out just now.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
On our vw, it tells you the min and max amount that you can add, over filing is not advised. After you filled up, put the ignition on without cranking on level ground, for a good minute for the sensor to register. It did it on us(dash light), and went through the menu and said add min3l max 7l. I filled 7l, ignition on on level ground and registered. New range 8500km from 4500km.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Check if any software recall outstanding, the vw had four recall updates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
When on our way home at the end of last week we got the above warning light. I wasn’t surprised as we had covered 5.6k miles from new.

We were carrying Ad-blue so topped up with 3 litres, the light went out and we continued home, about 120 miles.

Yesterday I filled the Ad-blue tank from the container I had at home. When I started the engine the light and warning reappeared and are staying on.

I need two bits of help......

Is there something I have missed?

Can anyone recommend a Peugeot Commercial dealer in South East Wales who can check it out under warranty.? Griffin Mill, near Cardiff, say they are unable to help as “they have no current ramp capacity”.

With the lockdown situation throughout SE Wales I want to, at least, have the problem recorded under warranty even if I can’t drive to the garage to get it sorted out just now.

I know they are not local to you, but Day's Peugeot Haverfordwest were excellent when we had airbag ecu issues.
They may be an option for you.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On our vw, it tells you the min and max amount that you can add, over filing is not advised. After you filled up, put the ignition on without cranking on level ground, for a good minute for the sensor to register. It did it on us(dash light), and went through the menu and said add min3l max 7l. I filled 7l, ignition on on level ground and registered. New range 8500km from 4500km.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I have already tried that and, when it didn’t work, drove for 12 miles to see if that would reset. No such luck.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Up date, if you are interested, if not please skip.

We rang three local Peugeot Commercial dealers, (within 25 miles), none had a hydraulic lift/headroom capable of taking our motorhome.

We e-mailed Peugeot U.K. ‘s help line explaining the problem and asking if they could tell us of a local dealership that might help. No response.

I re-checked the Adblue level and took the motorhome for another run, this time 10 miles making 22 miles in total. Warning lights still on.

We then found a Dealership who was willing to look at it. They asked sensible questions, “How much did it take to re-fill? Have you driven it since? Did that not re-set it?” They then suggested that it may be a faulty sensor as they have had that before. “Bring it in and we will check it. We will need it for a few days as fitting a new sensor requires a new tank too”.

The remaining problem is that we are in lockdown in our county, not allowed to leave without “a good excuse”. Wondering whether to risk the journey I took the motorhome out to top up with fuel. After running a further eight miles the warning lights reset themselves. 30 miles in total since topping up the tank!

I have tried them several times since then and all is well so the end of a frustrating time.

Two lessons learned

1. Top up Adblue regularly in future, don’t wait for the warning lights, (although, according to the handbook, when the light comes on there is still enough for 1.5k miles).

2. We won’t buy another motorhome based on a Peugeot chassis. Never had a problem with our Ducatos and local FIAT professional garages can handle motorhomes.

Rant over, but I hope the 30 mile drive to reset info may help someone in future.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
My guess is, you overfilled and it took some consumption to reset. I make a note of odometer and After 3k Miles I check the infotainment. It will tell me exact amount to add. It did happened to us as well and it did reset.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
On a Citroen Relay base, I got an early AdBlue warning, couple of refills (of a full tank) and a couple of resets... turns out wiring loom incorrectly sites & melted... fixed under warranty, no problem since.
One refill since at draft pump.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
When we picked our Ducato new Van up earlier in the year, at handover, the chap said that as they didn’t know how much Ad Blue was in it when it came from the factory, they didn’t want to put anymore in, as it can cause a problem if you overfill the tank. So he gave us a 2 litre bottle and said to put it in when the dash light came on, as should still have approx 1,000 miles left until the tank is empty. So far, we have done 3,000 miles and light not come on yet👍

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My guess is, you overfilled and it took some consumption to reset. I make a note of odometer and After 3k Miles I check the infotainment. It will tell me exact amount to add. It did happened to us as well and it did reset.
Can you explain the bit about “check the infotainment “?

I was not aware that there is any way to check how much to add. There is nothing in the handbook etc.

I was intending to top up a bit every 1k in future but, if you are correct about overfilling, I might repeat the problem.

That’s the beauty of this Forum. There is always someone who knows that bit more than yourself. Totally invaluable.

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
On the dash I got a menu where I scroll up to see data of fuel consumption, Add blue range, fuel range, trip computer etc.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On the dash I got a menu where I scroll up to see data of fuel consumption, Add blue range, fuel range, trip computer etc.
Strange. I have the fuel consumption, average consumption, instant consumption, range, trip distance, all available for trip A or B but no mention of Adblue.

Ours is a 2019, 2.3, 160 engine. What is yours?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The Peugeot and Fiat are the same chassis I understand, the only difference is in some of the engines offered.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The Peugeot and Fiat are the same chassis I understand, the only difference is in some of the engines offered.
Yes, you are correct. The engines and gearboxes are different though, I believe.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Strange. I have the fuel consumption, average consumption, instant consumption, range, trip distance, all available for trip A or B but no mention of Adblue.

Ours is a 2019, 2.3, 160 engine. What is yours?

I don’t have a sevel, it’s a vw crafter, same as man.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Friend had a vw van and all the wiring was marked Mercedes

I know, but not this one. From 2017-18 VW went on their own, parted away with the Mercedes partnership, and developed the all new crafter by themselves, all vw made. New 2.0L engine and all front face look alike across entire vw range: car, suv, vans etc. The new crafter is totally different to the old up to 2016. Loaded with technology and a mighty engine. The quality drive of a 3,5T van, leaves many cars behind andI did test drive the sprinter to. For some reason I liked the crafty more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back