‘Van homes’ aren’t romantic – they are proof of our horrifying housing crisis (1 Viewer)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
My point was you were disrespecting the fact that someone was living in a van at the bottom of their mums drive.
Do you think its something that should be applauded? I dont. The thing is , that if we proper got in to what the root cause of our kids having to do this was, id be getting called a racist bigot again, despite it being the truth.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We have plenty of council houses and flats in West berkshire. Most of the flats are given to "single" mothers and the house are also given to the single mothers or migrants. So if you are a married couple or in a proper partnership you are at the bottom of any social housing ladder. All this thanks to human rights signed up to by the bliar government ensure every person bar British born couples. Can have somewhere to live without paying rent... Sit back and wait for the sweet feedback now.
I think this post may make you a racist bigot, Would you like to meet for coffee?

The problem is , we all know what the problem is , but are not allowed to deal with it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Do you think its something that should be applauded? I dont. The thing is , that if we proper got in to what the root cause of our kids having to do this was, id be getting called a racist bigot again, despite it being the truth.
No but I don't think its something that should be mocked either like you did in your first post.

The root cause is nothing to do with racism

It's to do with greedy people wanting more than they need at the expense of others.

And majority of them are white

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think this post may make you a racist bigot, Would you like to meet for coffee?

The problem is , we all know what the problem is , but are not allowed to deal with it.
No we dont all know what the problem is BUT I'd say it was more than apparent what you think the problem is

And it isnt immigrants

A perfect example was a white man calling labour liars because he earned £80k a year and didn't believe he was in the top 5% of earners ... and grudges paying an extra £250 a year to help the NHS, education, policing etc.

And he's just one of many

The 5 billionaires that control the media In the uk are all white
They all back support and fund the conservative party

At least 3 of them pay no tax

That's the real problem in the uk

Not immigrants or people on the breadline

But the elite out for themselves and the stupid believing the press blaming it on the poor and the foreign.

And its embarrassing

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had a family from Hungry rent a 3 bed detached bungalow from us at £600 per calendar month, a lovely hard working couple 3 children.
Within 12 months of coming here they were offered a council 3 bed house at they said less than £500.
I would not have believed this had I not seen it for myself, less than 12 months and offered a house, still a nice family though.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have plenty of council houses and flats in West berkshire. Most of the flats are given to "single" mothers and the house are also given to the single mothers or migrants. So if you are a married couple or in a proper partnership you are at the bottom of any social housing ladder. All this thanks to human rights signed up to by the bliar government ensure every person bar British born couples. Can have somewhere to live without paying rent... Sit back and wait for the sweet feedback now.
Many of those single mothers because some low life man got them pregnant then buggered off leaving them high and dry.

So then they have a choice , stay at home looking after their kids on minimum benefits

Or if they are lucky maybe get a low paid job topped up by benefits while paying childcare to someone else looking after their kids.

What do you suggest instead ?

Make them sleep on the streets?

As for migrants we wont start down that road.

Daily mail propaganda has worked here.

None of the housing promised by the tories have been built.

Private landlords have been screwing things over for years.

Again it's easy to blame the poorest in society than the greediest.

I never understand this attitude of how people respect and idolise those with money and look down on those without it

Reminds me of ebineezer scrooge

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yes but I am sure the private landlords paid market value and not a discounted price, hence the rent has to be a realistic investment return

When Gordon Brown was PM, I read a government Report into the abuses of right-to-buy. My recollection is that some private landlords were offering sitting Council tenants a few thou in a brown envelope to exercise their RTB, as a kind of unofficial agent or nominee for the private investor, who stepped into their shoes on completion and obtained a BTL with a bigger yield, at a discount to open market value. A scam that the Councils were finding difficult to prevent. The sitting tenants lost their statutory security of tenure for themselves and their children, though many were most likely in financial difficulty and eager to grab the money.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I'd love to see your source for these statements, for the record the Daily Wail isn't a verified source - even wikipedia will not accept it.

If you look beyond the hate pages you will find that most social housing for single mothers and migrants is in hostels and bed and breakfast. There simply isn't any social housing being built, more than half (£920 million) of the local authorities right to buy receipts have been swallowed by the treasury since 2012.

Bottom line is any shortage of social housing is down to government that allowed existing stock to be sold off cheaply but prevented councils from rebuilding new.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
On a slight tangent - Beds in Sheds.

A couple of years ago a bloke who lived opposite built a massive shed in his back garden. Suddenly there were no spare parking spaces in the road, and lots of strangers coming and going. The Council planning officers investigated, put a stop to whatever was going on, and the bloke sold up. The impressive shed is still visible although no longer in use as illegal accommodation.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
No we dont all know what the problem is BUT I'd say it was more than apparent what you think the problem is

The problem is overcrowding . If our housing stock wasnt full of people who dont originate here, our kids wouldnt have to be living in vans . This isnt opinion, this is fact.

As you can see across Europe, not just here , the population growth that is taking place is occuring primarily amongst the non domestic population, so not only do have to deal with an influx of people we are not equipped to deal with, we also have them outbreeding us too.

If you dont see that , then you are oblivious to the problem , and therefore cannot be part of the solution.

Travel on any Ferry off peak on a sunday night, and see how many people are actually English. And then ask why are they all coming here. ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The problem is overcrowding . If our housing stock wasnt full of people who dont originate here, our kids wouldnt have to be living in vans . This isnt opinion, this is fact.

As you can see across Europe, not just here , the population growth that is taking place is occuring primarily amongst the non domestic population, so not only do have to deal with an influx of people we are not equipped to deal with, we also have them outbreeding us too.

If you dont see that , then you are oblivious to the problem , and therefore cannot be part of the solution.

Travel on any Ferry off peak on a sunday night, and see how many people are actually English. And then ask why are they all coming here. ?
There are 2 million empty homes currently In the uk, in one part of the north there is whole estates of terraced housing lying empty in disrepair.

There are people in the uk who own 2 or 3 houses for personal use.

We have an aging population and not enough 20- 40 year olds to earn to pay for them.
I dont read newspapers so I'm not fed on bull excrement.

The internet is out there with the actual facts regarding all of this

Be sure to avoid the fake ones set up by the conservative party.

P.s not all english people are white and speak with a brummie accent

Books and covers come to mind

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Private landlords have been screwing things over for years.

I take exception to that generalisation.

I have been a private landlord, of my own house not buy-to-let, for some 12 years.

You could have been also, but chose not to be. Had you chosen to let would you have made such a generalisation?

I have had 3 lots of tenants and they have had anything they asked for repaired or replaced.

The current tenants are financially in a position to buy but for whatever reasons choose to continue to rent my house for the last 4 years. So we have willing parties to a contract. I asked for a RPI increase of rent this year and they agreed to sign for another year. My net return on the Capital Value is just 3%.

Nobody is screwing anything, as you put it.

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I take exception to that generalisation.

I have been a private landlord, of my own house not buy-to-let, for some 12 years.

You could have been also, but chose not to be. Had you chosen to let would you have made such a generalisation?

I have had 3 lots of tenants and they have had anything they asked for repaired or replaced.

The current tenants are financially in a position to buy but for whatever reasons choose to continue to rent my house. So we have willing parties to a contract. I asked for a RPI increase of rent this year and they agreed to sign for another year. My net return on the Capital Value is just 3%.

Nobody is screwing anything, as you put it.

Geoff
Geoff I rented out a flat to 2 different tenants for just over 3 years , I took £350 per calendar month rent for it

I have rented out property

I still stand by my statement private landlords have screwed tenants for years

I didn't say EVERY private landlord

But its widely known and has been the result of many a tv programme proving it

You are seeking to be offended for something and ignoring the bulk of my statement

There are landlords out there with 100 flats they rent out to DHS tenants for maximum profit , students etc

I've seen inside many of these personally , I wouldn't house a dog in them

My ex wife rented privately with my 3 kids and after 2 years I had to go.hunting fir a better house for them as it was a shithole

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
There are 2 million empty homes currently In the uk, in one part of the north there is whole estates of terraced housing lying empty in disrepair.

There are people in the uk who own 2 or 3 houses for personal use.

We have an aging population and not enough 20- 40 year olds to earn to pay for them.
I dont read newspapers so I'm not fed on bull excrement.

The internet is out there with the actual facts regarding all of this

Be sure to avoid the fake ones set up by the conservative party.
The houses there are empty because there is no way locally to earn enough money to buy and sustain them, because if there was , they wouldnt be empty. And again, this is down to an influx of people who keep the wages depressed, stopping people being able to earn a proper living.

I dont read newspapers either, i just take the fact i cant walk round my local supermarket and hear my own language out of the mouths of the majority in there with small children, as a good barometer.

Or most burglaries and associated rubbish being carried out by 'people of eastern european origin' .. which is the case round here. At least with the pie keys you knew when they were around.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The houses there are empty because there is no way locally to earn enough money to buy and sustain them, because if there was , they wouldnt be empty. And again, this is down to an influx of people who keep the wages depressed, stopping people being able to earn a proper living.

I dont read newspapers either, i just take the fact i cant walk round my local supermarket and hear my own language out of the mouths of the majority in there with small children, as a good barometer.

Or most burglaries and associated rubbish being carried out by 'people of eastern european origin' .. which is the case round here. At least with the pie keys you knew when they were around.
The only people that keep the wages depressed are the employers who care more about profit than their employees

There are jobs picking fruit in the uk at £13 per hour and they cant fill them

Because brits don't want to do the work but blame the eastern Europeans who do for their problems

Personally I'd snap up 13 quid an hour for that job

Boris himself stated in 2012 , brits are lazy and dont want to work

In my last job where I worked as a warehouse supervisor in charge of 12 men I had 2 poles among them

Guess which 2 I didn't have to chase out the canteen every break or find sneaking out for a fag every 20 minutes ?

That's why they get the jobs

Not cause they work for less but because they actually work

If I'd have been the boss I'd have had 12 poles ?

P.s that company havelock europa closed down in August.....

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I still stand by my statement private landlords have screwed tenants for years

I didn't say EVERY private landlord

But a generalisation like your original statement tars everyone with the same brush.

It sounded like 'private landlords = bad', not 'some good, some bad'

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But a generalisation like your original statement tars everyone with the same brush.

It sounded like 'private landlords = bad', not 'some good, some bad'

Geoff
Ok then let's say most private landlords have been screwing tenants for years.

Let's not split hairs

Some like yourself rent out their own home to do what you are doing

I rented out my flat because it wasnt in the best area I tried to sell and couldn't so I bought a house and rented the flat

It covered the mortgage and associated costs till the market picked up and I could sell it.

The majority buy with intention to rent at maximum profit .....the purpose is to make money.
It's been actively encorouged for years by programmes like I mentioned

But it's just something else that benefits the few at the expense of the many

That's what is wrong with our society and our country

And not people with nothing trying to live

That's my point

People think being wealthy is something to be admired regardless of how they make that money

And people who have nothing and are trying to simply feed and clothe themselves are looked down on as scum

I personally dont have this view

I dont admire , footballers , pop stars , film stars , celebrities , millionaires. etc etc etc

I've no respect whatsoever for people who can sit on hoardes of cash they will never need while we have homeless, children in poverty, elderly struggling between eating and staying warm , hospital lists with folk dying because we cant get the nurses and hospitals to help them

I cant for one second understand any human being that does not feel that way

Blaming immigrants desperate for a life and folk on £60 a week benefits while ignoring the fact we have filthy rich tax avoiders, profiteers etc

Is very sad indeed and folk should be ashamed of themselves

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
There is nothing wrong with tax avoidance. Hatred is in the eye of "I don't know how to do it, why should they be allowed to?" brigade.

The govt has all the taxpayers money behind it to change the rules but either lacks the will or the know how or both.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There is nothing wrong with tax avoidance. Hatred is in the eye of "I don't know how to do it, why should they be allowed to?" brigade.

The govt has all the taxpayers money behind it to change the rules but either lacks the will or the know how or both.
That's the usual response to it's like when someone says they wouldn't thank you for a Ferrari or a morello....someone says its jealousy.

There are many times in my life I could have scammed the system .....I chose not to because i have morals.

The government do know how to stop tax avoidance but sadly many of the people in government do it themselves

Which is the real reason for brexit ....as the eu were closing those loopholes next year

And reese mogg etc cant stand by and let that happen can he

So tell the puppets that the big bad immigrants and the big bad EU are causing their problems and

Well here we are

Thank god theres hope for the next generation. ....as long as they dont listen to their parents.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
But those same people would have bought another house at a higher price.

This would have stimulated the economy and released a cheaper house ?
It would be nice to think so, we have had 3 tenants in the last five years who sold up here and went to live abroad eventually they all returned to England and wanted to rent.
We still have two of them with us now and will probably stay until they die they are very happy where they live.
PS. I have a nice bungalow with your name on when the time comes?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It would be nice to think so, we have had 3 tenants in the last five years who sold up here and went to live abroad eventually they all returned to England and wanted to rent.
We still have two of them with us now and will probably stay until they die they are very happy where they live.
PS. I have a nice bungalow with your name on when the time comes?
lots that do go to live abroad come back.
over the years i would say more come back than stay over all the rest of their lives.
lots of my parents friends moved over to france and spain . always thought my mum and dad would , but later they said its nice visiting but nice coming home to the green green grass of home.
they are both dead but i know what they meant. they watched friends , i watched as well . lots of my friends moved over and many have already come back .
i like visiting but like coming home.
i,m sure i,m turning into my father.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As for not being able to afford to go on strike, surely if they were renting they were in a similar position ?
no that's always been the problem. Rent & strike/no job = rent paid
Same position but have a mortgage= shut the door on the way out.
Its one step up from living in a shed,
Oi,oi, steady on.Nothing wrong with our craft room shed (y) :giggler:
0-02-0a-8c31b9c69365d89ed2eec9bbbc7c70d5fefff02e83226cb23353f343a16954a6_d7315ea2.jpg

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
no that's always been the problem. Rent & strike/no job = rent paid
Same position but have a mortgage= shut the door on the way out.

Oi,oi, steady on.Nothing wrong with our craft room shed (y) :giggler:View attachment 347877
Id have 20 bikes if i had that shed

EDIT... actually i wouldnt cos they would be scooped up by the local low lifes, which is why they all live in the house.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back