‘Telescopick lens for a smart phone (1 Viewer)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Bought an “all singing all dancing“ telescopic lens to fit a Samsung S20 as a Christmas prezzie.
Paid a reasonable price for it and guess what? Absolute c**p doesn’t cover it!
Does anybody have first hand knowledge of a decent lens to fit.
I appreciate I’m not going to get canon/Nokia performance but Mrs Dottie wants to be able to carry it with her for occasional opportunities to get bird or wildlife snaps.
All suggestions gratefully received

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Not really going to work, most people use a spotting scope and attachment for wildlife, but not compact by any means.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Dave, What is the best way to go about wildlife style photos.
Small lightweight camera download over WiFi preferred must be easy to use, point and shoot

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Something like my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80 compact camera with its Leica 30x optical zoom lens? (There are updated models available with the kind of download facility you want). It can't provide the resolution you get with a full digital SLR, but the zoom pics are still pretty impressive for such a small gizmo that fits into a pocket or handbag.

Warning - when I lent it to Duxette she complained the controls are too complicated. Battery life between charges can be a bit short. I don't know if there is a quality point-and-shoot compact digital camera that ticks all the boxes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Something like my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80 compact camera with its Leica 30x optical zoom lens? (There are updated models available with the kind of download facility you want). It can't provide the resolution you get with a full digital SLR, but the zoom pics are still pretty impressive for such a small gizmo that fits into a pocket or handbag.

Warning - when I lent it to Duxette she complained the controls are too complicated. Battery life between charges can be a bit short. I don't know if there is a quality point-and-shoot compact digital camera that ticks all the boxes.
Agree the Lumix TZ's are good we have a TZ60 bought a mint secondhand one last year to replace our 5/6 year old one that was playing up. Couldn't find any new compacts that would give the same facilities with the quality.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I've also tried and tested so called phone lens attachments and yes they are all crap.

Stick to a proper camera cant go wrong.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Dave, What is the best way to go about wildlife style photos.
Small lightweight camera download over WiFi preferred must be easy to use, point and shoot
I am afraid your asking the wrong person, as I go the whole hog and spend £1000’s on Mirrorless cameras and zooms reaching 500mm. For the occasional wildlife shots I believe there a one or 2 mobile phones with zooms, then consider bridge cameras with 20 to 30x zooms, after that you can get a good 2nd setup of a Canon Body say 7d2 and a 100 to 400mm zoom from MPB.com or Wex. It really depends on how much wildlife you want to chase and how much you want to spend.😁

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions, I’ll look into the TZ series.
Geoff

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I still have a Panasonic GF2 micro 4/3rds camera. Interchangeable lenses so can be a pocket camera or not. Having said that, the digital processing on an IPhone (other inferior brands are available :imoutahere:) is superb and takes wonderful photos both at long range and in low light

it is old so many superior versions are available nowadays

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
When I saw how ridiculously large the optical zooms were getting on compact cameras I researched it - probably at DPReview.com

I found Canon were well thought of and had released a new superzoom compact that I fancied, but I realised “last year’s model” also ticked a lot of boxes and with sellers dropping prices to make way for the new model it was a no brainier.
Oh! I got a Canon Powershot sx620 hs*

I get photos as good as a top of range smart camera but with a huge optical zoom. 👍🏻
*- That camera model was a few years ago so I’d have to do the “current_model” minus one formula again 🤪

My usage is for grabbing pics of bands at gigs and festivals

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No personal experience of this but if you want telefoto on a phone camera ... have a look at Samsung S20 Ultra... 100x zoom apparently.
Its actually 10x optical zoom, the rest is digital zoom however this is partly compensated for by the high megapixel size.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Its actually 10x optical zoom, the rest is digital zoom however this is partly compensated for by the high megapixel size.
Handy to know the range of optical zoom v digital zoom.

I haven’t heard of a change in how it’s done so expect this initial method of digital zoom is still true: in camera digital zoom is just resolution cropping.

My preference is to disable or ignore a camera’s digital zoom and only use optical zoom.
Then, if needed, any further zoom can be done later on a computer with simple photo editing apps/programs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Handy to know the range of optical zoom v digital zoom.

I haven’t heard of a change in how it’s done so expect this initial method of digital zoom is still true: in camera digital zoom is just resolution cropping.

My preference is to disable or ignore a camera’s digital zoom and only use optical zoom.
Then, if needed, any further zoom can be done later on a computer with simple photo editing apps/programs.
Exactly, you simply cannot beat optical zoom which keeps the same quality of images at 1x or 30x ... depending on how steady the person holding the camera is of course! :giggle:

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've got a Canon SX30 iS (35x zoom) which I've had for about 12 years. Newer versions have even more powerful zooms and more pixels. The real limitation of this is the user.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've got a Canon SX30 iS (35x zoom) which I've had for about 12 years. Newer versions have even more powerful zooms and more pixels. The real limitation of this is the user.
:eek: a newer model in that Canon SX range, theSX70, has this zoom range: -
Focal length (equiv.) 21–1365 mm
Optical zoom 65×

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back