‘Dog recovery suit’ (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Has anyone used one of these. They are sold as being better than an Elizabethan Collar. Casper is chewing himself in his groin. I have tried to clip his har so it can dry up but he’s not very enamoured and won’t stay still. If I take him to the vets they won’t touch him without a sedative as he causes chaos. It took four of us to hold him for a blood sample. I’m sure that if I could get some cream on his sore bit and keep it there, there’s a chance of it calming down. I wondered if he would get very hot in one of these suits.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Has anyone used one of these. They are sold as being better than an Elizabethan Collar. Casper is chewing himself in his groin. I have tried to clip his har so it can dry up but he’s not very enamoured and won’t stay still. If I take him to the vets they won’t touch him without a sedative as he causes chaos. It took four of us to hold him for a blood sample. I’m sure that if I could get some cream on his sore bit and keep it there, there’s a chance of it calming down. I wondered if he would get very hot in one of these suits.
Haven’t used sorry. Jerry used to worry at the same area and I just had to keep the fur clipped close and tell him off if he started. Used a collar - one of those ones that looks like a swimming arm band round his neck. If it got too bad had to take to vets for an injection and steriod ointment.

Sorry doesn’t really help with your question but I feel your pain..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Interesting - might try - dog loves the attention been ”dressed up”. Will sit and wait for his coat or jimjams when clipped.
Then you are part way there already. The ones we have might be an issue for round the groin area, as they are shaped to allow the dog to relieve him/herself and velcro round the top of the rear legs. This will still allow access to lick/nibble sore skin around the genital area

Our girl has sore skin and when this breaks out, we use tea tree oil cream from pets at home to relieve the itching/redness till the medication cuts in. She takes apoquel daily for her skin issues

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Better than a collar. Only used one when he had his walnuts whipped, but this is what it looks like.
4C600AC9-365A-47DC-9D3E-6D18770B7A86.jpeg

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Haven’t used sorry. Jerry used to worry at the same area and I just had to keep the fur clipped close and tell him off if he started. Used a collar - one of those ones that looks like a swimming arm band round his neck. If it got too bad had to take to vets for an injection and steriod ointment.

Sorry doesn’t really help with your question but I feel your pain..
We used a blow up collar when our dog was spayed. She didn’t mind it at all, in fact she seemed to use it as a pillow! I’ve never used the suits so I can’t advise on those.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks everyone. He has occasionally worn a raincoat so would probably wear one. He's not nasty when putting it on, I think he's just ashamed that a German Shepherd should be seen in one. I found one that can be undone at the back and rolled towards his head when he needs to spend a penny. Is the Tea tree oil ok if he licks it?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Mine hates everything. Doesn’t want to wear coat, doesn’t like being dried, but get this on him, and he’s not bothered. Don‘t know why. Odd boy.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
might sound a bit daft but when ours had stiches from a tumor removal we used a simple T shirt cut to suit, tail sticking out of the neck hole :cool: back legs through tailored arm holes:rolleyes:
it was effective although it looked a bit odd.
kept it clean and stopped him chewing at the wound area.

cheap and easy to wash and change.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks everyone. He has occasionally worn a raincoat so would probably wear one. He's not nasty when putting it on, I think he's just ashamed that a German Shepherd should be seen in one. I found one that can be undone at the back and rolled towards his head when he needs to spend a penny. Is the Tea tree oil ok if he licks it?
It is very dilute in the cream and intended for dog use. Don't use neat or strong solution tea tree oil

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
we used one recently when our girl was spayed at end of December. Worked a treat and as you say, can be unbuttoned and rolled forward when they need to go. Just remember to do this, unlike my better half and then wondered why she was wet!😄

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
My dog started scratching and pulling his fur out ....we'd changed his food. Changed it back and he was ok. A mate of mine had loads of skin problems for years with his dog. He was in a pub out in the sticks and an old guy took one look at his dog and told him it was probably getting too much meat. He cut down on this and never had the problem with his dog again.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
My dog started scratching and pulling his fur out ....we'd changed his food. Changed it back and he was ok. A mate of mine had loads of skin problems for years with his dog. He was in a pub out in the sticks and an old guy took one look at his dog and told him it was probably getting too much meat. He cut down on this and never had the problem with his dog again.
This is a good point. My last GSD was very sensitive to food ( he would have loose poop and sore patches on his skin) and we found he could only tolerate hypoallergenic food. Once we got him on that he was fine. I found skinners was the best value at the time and he loved it.

Thankfully our current GSD doesnt have that issue. But I’ve found they are big babies and have a low pain threshold compared to the border collie we have had and have. Current GSD wears a soft muzzle at the vets for blood tests etc but up until you start messing with him he loves everyone and is as soft as a brush.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
This is a good point. My last GSD was very sensitive to food ( he would have loose poop and sore patches on his skin) and we found he could only tolerate hypoallergenic food. Once we got him on that he was fine. I found skinners was the best value at the time and he loved it.

Thankfully our current GSD doesnt have that issue. But I’ve found they are big babies and have a low pain threshold compared to the border collie we have had and have. Current GSD wears a soft muzzle at the vets for blood tests etc but up until you start messing with him he loves everyone and is as soft as a brush.
Casper loves everyone, but not other dogs. He wails when he is brushed, or if he is separated from us, which makes people think that he is annoyed as opposed to annoying. I will google Skinners food.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Casper loves everyone, but not other dogs. He wails when he is brushed, or if he is separated from us, which makes people think that he is annoyed as opposed to annoying. I will google Skinners food.
Alfie, my GSD, loves everyone, and other dogs too. He doesn’t like being brushed , but he will tolerate it up to a point. He has a phobia about his feet and lower legs being touched. Claw clipping is a one claw a day whilst he’s being distracted! I’ve not used Skinners for a while as I used to buy it for my last GSD,but they used to do a good range of hypoallergenic stuff. James wellbeloved was another but that used to be a lot more expensive at the time.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Alfie, my GSD, loves everyone, and other dogs too. He doesn’t like being brushed , but he will tolerate it up to a point. He has a phobia about his feet and lower legs being touched. Claw clipping is a one claw a day whilst he’s being distracted! I’ve not used Skinners for a while as I used to buy it for my last GSD,but they used to do a good range of hypoallergenic stuff. James wellbeloved was another but that used to be a lot more expensive at the time.
Casper is the same, I have to sneak up on him when he's asleep and cut one claw. Brushing front legs is a no no.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Our Casper has recently had the “snip”. He’s wearing one of these. Just remember to undo him before going out fir a walk otherwise it gets messy...
FBA49A15-39F2-4454-910A-4F7F65F4EAC6.jpeg

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Have you tried Leucillin to ease his chewing? Its AMAZING stuff for many dog skin problems. Do you know why he's chewing himself?

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Have you tried Leucillin to ease his chewing? Its AMAZING stuff for many dog skin problems. Do you know why he's chewing himself?
It’s nothing obvious. He’s never had fleas, he has a bit of dandruff, we give him You move tablets for his joints and You move liquid for his skin. He does his fur where he chews is very stained. I do wonder if it’s something to do with his urine that’s bothering his skin. He doesn’t have dangly bits so there’s no involvement there. I’ll have a read about Leucillin, thanks.

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
It’s nothing obvious. He’s never had fleas, he has a bit of dandruff, we give him You move tablets for his joints and You move liquid for his skin. He does his fur where he chews is very stained. I do wonder if it’s something to do with his urine that’s bothering his skin. He doesn’t have dangly bits so there’s no involvement there. I’ll have a read about Leucillin, thanks.
Its probable stained (orange?) from his saliva rather than urine. But it could be urinary problem which vets can often really easily remedy. We sent off a allergy test for our girl from EasyDNA, it only cost about £70, but came back with 3 things she was allergic to. If its a food related allergy its a fairly easy way to find out. Just a thought...

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My dog trainer had similar sounding problems with his black lab, he tried a few things but eventually it was cured by a high quality fish based food. We have used the same food since, although we didn’t have the problem, but liked the quality of the food, and due to it’s quality only a small amount is required.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
My folks inherited a boxer which came with terrible scurf on the skin. She was always very itchy and scratchy and covered in dandruff. Mum changed the dog’s diet to pilchards mixed with doggy kibble and the condition cleared up within a week. She never had another issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back