£63 a night (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Simple, the Motorhome was bought out of life savings, using it comes out of our pension.
Excellent point Lenny. Hadn't thought of that, but it emphasises that motorhoming is different things to different folk.
We both were blessed by having wonderful parents who left us enough to buy the moho we liked best at the NEC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Found vacancy at campsite in Dorset we have always fancied staying at!Only availability in August is for 7 nights(not a problem) but £63 a night☹️!Decided to save money for when we go to France at end of august!I doubt if 3 weeks on French sites will come to nearly £450!😊
Our 3 weeks in central France cost 230 Euros. Bliss.
Stuff money grabbers..
Mitch.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Everyone is different thankfully or I may not be able to find my park ups so easily. Personally I bought a motorhome so I didn’t need to use campsite most of the time. There are times when I may want to use a site though but when I do all I want is somewhere to park, drinking water and elsan point. To my mind that should never be more than a tenner a night, I use one club site with this that is still a fiver.
When kids were young I used to take the caravan to family sites/holiday parks though as we wanted entertainment, pools activities etc. nothing wrong with using sites I just wish they all got real with pricing instead of grabbing every last penny. They make have had it rough during lockdown but so did everyone else on a pension who got nothing extra and won’t get anything like cost of living increases.
If you want a five star site and have the money go for it and hope it’s everything you expect 👍

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Our 3 weeks in central France cost 230 Euros. Bliss.
Stuff money grabbers..
Mitch.
Can beat that, 7 weeks in Scotland March and April cost me £17 and I could have done it for less lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure that looking for golf balls is fun, but as I said, each to their own.

Wilding is a choice, a type of touring, rather then THE definitive way to motorhome. It can't be best for everyone, because it would absolutely not suit us with our two disabled offspring. One day, once we have our boys safely living in supported accommodation, we may try wilding ourselves.

Right now? We need at least a week of sun, sea, beaches, beach bars and ice cream, in order that they tolerate me and Mrs DDJC gazing inanely at mountains, waterfalls, rivers, lakes, glaciers, architecture and other kulcher stuff.
Makes sense for you now you have explained.
A high percentage of Funsters are retired living off pensions and go away for longer periods. Even if we did want to go to that type of site the cost would eat into capital which is a no, no for us, that is reserved for the next Motorhome.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just been looking through some hotels in Italy next month just out of interest, loads less than £100 a night for two including breakfast.
Now this maybe not yours or mine thing, but makes you think don't it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just got back from 3 weeks on French aires but had to fork out 2 euros for water at one of them so not quite zero 😉
You pay for water?:Eeek:
You are just not trying hard enough

If you buy the full version of Park4Night (10€ --- I know but hey it's a good investment) you can select all the free services Aires.
There are loads.:oops::drinks:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
This year I am paying €100 per night for a beach side, 120m2 pitch, (water, drain, etc) on the Adriatic at a 5 star resort site.
We've spent very little on our touring over the last two years so we don't care. This is us arriving back in Italy with a bang.

I don't understand why some people spend more than a hundred grand on a lux moho then journey from aire to aire, for next to nothing. We like staying at good sites, rather than a concrete parking place. However each to his/her own.
Easy to say if you have that much money spare.
But then We don’t understand why you have all the facilities in a £100k van and spend that much on a campsite
Each to their own

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am so happy to read of others staying on campsites, to means there are plenty of spaces for me on Aires Many of which offer great views, easy access to unspoilt towns, freedom to roam always knowing I will find somewhere to stay without having to plan ahead and be committed to a route and often quiet and peaceful days and nights. Oh, and much cheapness.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Sure, Sant'Angelo Village.

We stayed at Union Lido in 2005 which is just along from SantAngelo site.
We paid €55 a night then but these are all singing and dancing sites, you’ll have a brilliant time down there, entertainment for all ages.
If you have children these sites are excellent, exactly what kids want.
Get the bus to the harbour from outside the main entrance then ferry over to Venice.

Enjoy.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Yeah you can’t compare a fully loaded site with a lay-by, horses for courses. Good job we all want different things 👍

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This year I am paying €100 per night for a beach side, 120m2 pitch, (water, drain, etc) on the Adriatic at a 5 star resort site.
We've spent very little on our touring over the last two years so we don't care. This is us arriving back in Italy with a bang.

I don't understand why some people spend more than a hundred grand on a lux moho then journey from aire to aire, for next to nothing. We like staying at good sites, rather than a concrete parking place. However each to his/her own.
We just don't like staying in the same place more than a night or at the most two. If we did I'd buy a caravan more space and use of a car when you get there. For us the big advantages of a motorhome are quick to set up and leave ( we don't have a drive away awning windbreak or any of that stuff) we can stay off grid we can carry a decent amount of water and grey. If you're on a serviced pitch and there for a week why would you spend 100k on a MH.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Robrace have you had a look to see if there are any THS in dorset?
I like oakdown near sidmouth but it can be a bit pricey but its nice
Good luck finding somewhere i love dorset

Pocket Rocket

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Personally, in France we like staying at a mix of places - free aires (usually a quiet carpark), basic campsites, or more luxury campsites. We don’t book in advance, just turn up and choose the best option for us in the location. Currently in a very nice campsite with heated pool and jacuzzi, which we have to ourselves! Only €19 a night (2 people, large motorhome, with EHU). We use our ACSI card a lot to get a discount on the campsites, and have never paid more than €20 / night. The aires are free (and we usually don’t need services as we have enough water etc for a few nights).

I don’t think either free aires or campsites are “better” or “worse” - just different choices 😊

I must admit that UK campsites seem comparatively expensive compared to France, but so does Switzerland!

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
3A27F401-CB60-4737-A980-B92F4383D5BF.png

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
The above might notbe quite where yu want to be buts down there and the money you save can be spent when you go to france lol

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Why spend 100 euros a night to park a van on a bit of grass opposite lots of other vans when you could stay in a nice hotel room with en suite etc for a similar price.?

I bought a motorhome to tour and to have the freedom to park up anywhere. Stayed in some phenomenal free places in Spain last Autumn - many totally unplanned that we just happened upon. Of course each to his own. Just trying to help you understand that people are different.

Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
We are paying £64/night on Isle of Wight in July but there are six of us (kids + grandkids) on a massive pitch, us 2 in the MH and the others in a tent. Whilst it seems expensive if we didn’t do this I’d be paying for the kids, etc to have a chalet/caravan as we have in previous years….can’t wait for them to win the lottery and start paying for me!
This sounds great, which site?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Good for you.

When the kids were young we used to take them most Easter holidays to a beachside pitch in Spain. Over the Easter weekend the pitch cost was well in excess of €100 and worth every penny in my eyes as the kids just loved running straight out on to the beach and I could watch them having fun while drinking chilled cans of San Miguel.

Enjoy Italy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good for you.

When the kids were young we used to take them most Easter holidays to a beachside pitch in Spain. Over the Easter weekend the pitch cost was well in excess of €100 and worth every penny in my eyes as the kids just loved running straight out on to the beach and I could watch them having fun while drinking chilled cans of San Miguel.

Enjoy Italy.
I take it the Same Miguel was you not the kids!

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
. Just trying to help you understand that people are different.

Er, that was the point I have been making!!

Wilding isn't wrong, using a 5 star site isn't wrong, using aires isn't wrong. This discussion was about how much you pay per night.

We nearly always stay at a site, because we have to pre-book. The idea of driving two non-verbal ASD teenagers, round the area, in the night, trying to find a place to stop, gives me the shivers. Ergo we reserve. It suits us.

As I said, there will come a time when we can be more adventurous in our travels. It just isn't yet.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
It is, of course, personal preference and circumstances. We prefer to move around every day or two and explore. I have to say that most of the Wild spots we stay in are far superior to any camp site for our needs.

Yesterday we spent the day listening to the birds from dawn 'till dusk, a very peaceful place.

IMG-20220622-WA0004.jpeg

Today we moved South West into the Ardennes and again, in our opinion no camp site could compare.

20220623_155716.jpg

Today we're listening to waterfowl, watching more Dragonflies than I've ever seen and waving to the odd passing boat, all free too of course, but that's just a bonus!

The beauty of being part of the motorhome community is that it's so diverse, and what's ideal for one could be another's nightmare.

Cheers
Red.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We had a week at haven ingoldmills earlier this year , entertainment ,pool , all facilities,hook up if you wanted £9 a night.
We did that at Haven, Walton on the Naze. After 2 nights of being pestered by itinerants kids we left without getting a refund. I couldn’t stand locking everything away each time we went out.
Phil

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
We stayed at Union Lido in 2005 which is just along from SantAngelo site.
We paid €55 a night then but these are all singing and dancing sites, you’ll have a brilliant time down there, entertainment for all ages.
If you have children these sites are excellent, exactly what kids want.
Get the bus to the harbour from outside the main entrance then ferry over to Venice.

Enjoy.
We will!!!

We know the Union Lido a bit. We have stayed at Camping Italy right next door, which offer a less resorty, more Italian experience. They had a deal with Union Lido if you wanted to use their facilities. Camping Italy couldn't fit us in this year, so we went for the best alternative.

It costs a bomb, but we love the area and haven't spent much these last two years on holidays. There is so much to do. Food is legendarily good in Tri-Venezie. The wine is nectar, Valpolicella or even Amarone if you have won the lottery.

We can't get the youngest onto a bus :shake: so when we go to Punta Sabbioni for the boat ride to Venice, we drive up there and park near the dock. Cost about ten euro for the day, but you can't go to that neck of the woods and not go to Venice, Murano, the Lido, etc.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It must be nice to have that much money that £100 a night is nothing to some , pension is £600 a MONTH how the hell do you get anywhere near paying £100 a NIGHT.
A weeks holiday and you are in debt till next month.
I am not knocking anyone for doing it if you have it but there must be loads that this is just pie in the sky for them.

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
It must be nice to have that much money that £100 a night is nothing to some , pension is £600 a MONTH how the hell do you get anywhere near paying £100 a NIGHT.
A weeks holiday and you are in debt till next month.
I am not knocking anyone for doing it if you have it but there must be loads that this is just pie in the sky for them.

I'm not retired Chaser! Neither is Mrs DDJC. The downside is that I have to pay August prices because the kids are both still at school.
When we do retire, we will cut our cloth accordingly. Definitely nothing over 95 euro a night...

Just kidding ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

And for the record, I do thing that the price we are being charged for the site is astronomical. Certainly won't be paying anywhere near that for next year. This is a one off to celebrate the post-covid freedom to go to Yerp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back