£36 per nite for NEC (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Just reading November’s caravan & motorhome magazine, can anyone justify why they charge £36 per pitch for nec?

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
The NEC is a total rip off whatever event is on. It’s a wonder exhibitors still use it and most shows are on the decline in terms of visitor numbers. I do 3 exhibitions a year at the nec so I know the extortionate prices we have to pay. The car parks used for camping will have cost an arm and a leg and somebody has to pay for this.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The can charge £36.00 per pitch per night because some people will pay for it and probably think it a good deal too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
When the Horse of the Year Show was there earlier in the month trade stands were complaining about the cost of a stand. I did hear of a lady that only has a small business with not a great turnover was quoted £3000 for the duration of the show she declined . This was a business that had been going to the show for years.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just reading November’s caravan & motorhome magazine, can anyone justify why they charge £36 per pitch for nec?
I guess that the generators cost a fortune, as do the floodlights, 24 hour staff cover, rubbish collection, waste water collection, daily pump outs of black waste.

I am far from a Caravan Club devotee, but everything is expensive at the NEC

We pay about £400 for two 1kw sockets on the VB stand, hundreds of pounds for carpeting on top of the thousands of pounds we pay for our exhibition unit

The £36 we pay for our and our staffs vehicles seems good value LOL

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Off to the National Watersports Centre, Holme Pierrepoint in a couple of weeks. Less than £14/night for two, with 16A, toilets & showers. Of course, these are out-of-season prices. I guess they like to keep it ticking over.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If I remember right, isn't there entertainment on every night and probably a bar too?

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We usually attend both of the NEC shows and we always use the CMC temp site .we realise its not cheap but for us its the conveinience and we stay for 3 nights and treat it as a small break.
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Ah, thanks for replies, yes seems a few things which do need paying for which I didn’t think of & the entertainment
Oh well might book February then just for the early season break as someone suggested as couldn’t get pitch this time

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The NEC was sold to a Private Equity outfit 2 years ago: :(:eek::oops:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-30835754

As a consequence, we might expect show organisers to have to pay significantly more to the PE outfit in future to stage exhibitions at the NEC, and in turn the paying public (us) should expect rising ticket prices and pitch fees. PE likes to maximise its return on investment. The NEC could be a goldmine. I'm surprised the price was only £307 million. That looks cheap. :whistle:

Because these exhibitions are essentially a fixed cost business, the organisers must get as many trade exhibitors and members of the public to attend as possible just to break even. Above that break even point, every extra pound of income becomes pure profit.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
It's probably worth mentioning that over recent years the NEC has become a bit of a destination venue with resorts, shopping villages and so on. I can remember when it was essentially an just exhibition centre.
People now pay hundreds to attend functions or stay on site.
£36 a night for 2 begins to look cheap.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ah, thanks for replies, yes seems a few things which do need paying for which I didn’t think of & the entertainment
Oh well might book February then just for the early season break as someone suggested as couldn’t get pitch this time
The fact you couldn't get a pitch suggests they could get away with charging a bit more keep quiet!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Recently went to the Pharmacy exhibition - free entry and only £12 to park for the day! I was a visitor not an exhibitor.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I stayed at the Chapel Lane CMC site next to the transport museum. £20 inc EHU for Wed and Thurs nights....very nice it was too;)

Having the motorhome at the Nec meant I didnt have to pay extortionate prices for a coffe and something to eat.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Isn’t the case with all businesses?

Ian

That's generally true, but doesn't really reflect the differences between different business models. A lot of businesses especially manufacturing ones have a major part of their costs linked to turnover, so the variable part of their costs can still fall if the business does badly, while variable costs such as materials and labour do rise proportionately as turnover expands. Exhibition centres and airports are pretty much fixed cost businesses so above that break even point the cost to the business of each extra customer is negligible and all the extra receipts are basically pure profit. I'm not an accountant, so correct me if I am wrong, but I have looked at these types of business as possible investments.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I last stopped there on the other side of the fence about 50 yards away with the trucks and it was a nice quiet night apart from the bar at the CCC bit. Cost me nothing just another white van amongst loads.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The motorbike show has been going down hill for years because of the greed of the NEC

Fewer and fewer small traders, so fewer and fewer punters.. Eventually the big players will start to pull out as not enough foot fall...
It is a suicidal downward spiral that can only have one conclusion

Fortunately motorhomes and caravans have a following that at the moment is growing exponentially so the show at the NEC has many many more years to run yet

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Alot different from where i have been parked up for the last 2 nights, right on the outskirts of chatsworth in a little village carpark, toilets with running water on site, park where i like an pick my own spot....£5.50 for all day parking until 8am the following morning, or £1 from 6pm to 8am following morning, now thats value for money.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I find everything Caravan club related is expensive,apart from the CL sites which are not managed by them directly.After 20 years membership this will be my last .

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I see why they call it rip off Britain. We go to exhibitions in both Paris and Cologne and have never paid more than 12€ per night. In Cologne they only came round to collect the fee the first night then never saw them again. We left three days later.

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
I find everything Caravan club related is expensive,apart from the CL sites which are not managed by them directly.After 20 years membership this will be my last .
I am on a club site now costing me £10.80 a night good look at finding a commercial site for that or a cl. For that price Everything is getting more expensive now but I suppose the grass is greener.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I am on a club site now costing me £10.80 a night good look at finding a commercial site for that or a cl. For that price Everything is getting more expensive now but I suppose the grass is greener.
Is that price per van or per person?

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
On my own this weekend, if wife was with me it would be £14 70 . Still cheaper than most commercial sites

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back