Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
Just spent our first night ever as we are "Newbies" in a Park, called "Lickpenny" near Tansley Derbyshire, we arrived earlier than expected on a Friday, 10.30 am and I was charged an extra £3 due to arriving before noon. (you would have thought as it was our first time she would have waived it) not a very nice welcome to this hobby !!
£3 is not a lot of money, it is just the cheek !
Nothing was mentioned about this in their leaflet or on their website, is this common practice ?

P.S we left Saturday morning before noon, they never came out with a refund !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
See my thread holland first and last, bloke there tried to nearly double our nights tariff , told him to stick it, we didn't use any facility's and were only there 12 hours and he wanted 32 euros

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I can understand your frustration and anger at the extra £3 charge but I can also see it from the other side too.

I wont mention any names but there was one site we stayed on where a "club" had pitches booked for a certain event. The marshall arrived at 8am when his booking said he was due much later with pitches advertised as ready from 2pm on the day of arrival.

The marshal then proceeded to intimidate those people who were leaving that day and pestering them to ensure they were off by 11am (vacation time).

Not being funny having had a really good last night and being woken up by some egotistic male at 8.10 am I made sure that I stayed on pitch until the very last minute.

As we had many friends with a number of those on pitches near us who had been subjected to the same uncalled for experience it was sad to learn that this has marred some experiences to the extent they would not return to the same site again.

and Yes at 8.15am after he had left I was on the phone complaining.

The same site now charges them extra for arriving early. They dont want their customers upset by others as this loses them repeat business.

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
What a rip off!! It's not as if they have to clean and change a room ! :frowny:

Ive been on a site (a quite posh one too) where the kids have literally used the motorhome pitch as an open air toilet, and not just urine. Where toilet paper has been thrown at the ceiling to stick just for the fun of it and where people cant be bothered to pick up their fag ends or dogs poo. Its quite sad during high season to see what goes on, yet in quieter periods you would think you were in 5 star luxury with gleaming toilets and showers etc

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Ive been on a site (a quite posh one too) where the kids have literally used the motorhome pitch as an open air toilet, and not just urine. Where toilet paper has been thrown at the ceiling to stick just for the fun of it and where people cant be bothered to pick up their fag ends or dogs poo. Its quite sad during high season to see what goes on, yet in quieter periods you would think you were in 5 star luxury with gleaming toilets and showers etc

Nice :sick:

Upvote 0

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Just spent our first night ever as we are "Newbies" in a Park, called "Lickpenny" near Tansley Derbyshire, we arrived earlier than expected on a Friday, 10.30 am and I was charged an extra £3 due to arriving before noon. (you would have thought as it was our first time she would have waived it) not a very nice welcome to this hobby !!
Nothing was mentioned about this in their leaflet or on their website, is this common practice ?

Been on that site even made us pay for the motorcycle trailer! and charged for early arrival. Will never go back there loss should be called pinchpenny.

Upvote 0

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Yeah if you are into wine don't forget to call at cite Europe beats the wine places hands down

Can a biggish unit get into the car park? I believe that there is somewhere to park there too??

p.s. sorry to hijack the thread with this question!

Upvote 0

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Can a biggish unit get into the car park? I believe that there is somewhere to park there too??

p.s. sorry to hijack the thread with this question!

You need to follow signs for the bus park. That will take you to the Aire which has no barrier.
Buses go in so you will have no problem.

It is a very short walk from there into the complex.

:cooler:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Reading some of these posts and also having experienced some bad attitudes from wardens on CC sites in the UK, it makes us want to get across to France and try out the sites there........maybe next year if things go ok:unsure:

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't you just hate Rip Of Britain!!! Talk about a blooming cheek grrrr :punch:

Once stopped at the Site Sandy Balls and the vacate time was 1000hrs!!! They wanted another £5 to extend that to 1400hrs and that's after charging £38 a night for just 2 of us!!! :oops2:

Never went back there again, same as I'll never go to that site either now. Thanks for letting us all know :clap:

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
The caravan and camping club has charged £5 for arrivals on club sites before noon for quite a few years, haven't heard of it on commercial sites before though.

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

Sorry, to answer your query - yes on most uk sites arrival time is normally from noon.

Cl's and cs' are usually ok as long as no one is on the pitch (but always ask beforehand). I suppose site owners don't want people to abuse early arrival ( and they do, I've seen it).

Didn't realise you were from our neck of the woods - so the site was about 30 mins from you? You could've said you'd go back later and popped down into Matlock for a wander....

First time out though I imagine the excitement was great.....

Don't be disheartened - it's all a huge learning curve (y)

And now you're back you can plan the next one:)

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
You lot should be ashamed of your selves :rolleyes:
Probably put him off & considering selling now :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not wishing to be "Smartar$e" Sunnyside Up but how much would it have cost to park up at Matlock?
I've commented very recently on another thread about the systematic screwing of everybody by anyone who can see when there's money to be made.
Reminds me of the the Thenadier song from Les Mis, "Charge 'em for the mice, Charge 'em for the lice, 3 percent for looking in the mirror twice."

What has been described as "Rip off Britain" at it's finest.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't be put off from the experience. The first trip out in my motorhome as awful :(

I stopped at a site in Andover as I was serving in Army HQ. I just wanted to do a shake out to see how it all worked etc, good job I did as I needed to do some amendments and then it was fine (y)

The site was terrible. Very small and a roasting hot weekend, so got quite busy and very little order to the site layout. Needless to say we ended up with tent guy ropes actually put UNDER the motorhome :doh:

There were 3 tents like this, all in a large group, that then proceeded to dominate the site with a rugby ball, that bounced off caravan windows, peoples awnings and cars :punch:

The site owners did nothing about it while these mindless selfish idiots made everyone's lives a misery. I ended up confronting them when the ball bounced off my motorhome for the second time :swear:

Lots of abuse, from dads, mums and the kids It did make me think was it always going to be like this, but luckily that was the only occasion and so far we've had an excellent time of it all :tounge:

Stick with by it, it's an awesome hobby, past time and addiction :*

Upvote 0
OP
OP
firebird123

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
From the web site

TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Arrival times are 12 noon - any units arriving before this, and if the pitch is available will be charged a nominal fee.
Terms and Conditions...... we were given a A4 instruction leaflet, regarding early arrivals, when we went to book in, nothing was mentioned when i booked by telephone !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
firebird123

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
We are disheartened, I told them at the book-in desk this was our very first time. The laws on early arrival were given to us when we booked in !

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Hi Firebird

Early arrivals and early departures are both clearly covered in their booking terms

http://www.lickpennycaravanpark.co.uk/

I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a little extra if you want to pitch up early. Hotels won't let you check in early and often charge extra for late check out.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
....going tuesday......lets see what it brings,,,,,,

We are going on the Euro tunnel on Tuesday 07:20 our 1st France trip, only got the motorhome in Oct last year, keep your eyes peeled for Funster sticker we may well see you.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Don't worry too much, once you get used to motorhoming you won't want to visit a site.....
Use the CL/CS network, IMO better than France and plenty to be done in the UK. Rarely pay more than a tenner, warmer welcome than a site.

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Not wishing to be "Smartar$e" Sunnyside Up but how much would it have cost to park up at Matlock?
I've commented very recently on another thread about the systematic screwing of everybody by anyone who can see when there's money to be made.
Reminds me of the the Thenadier song from Les Mis, "Charge 'em for the mice, Charge 'em for the lice, 3 percent for looking in the mirror twice."

What has been described as "Rip off Britain" at it's finest.
Yup, fair point, probably would have cost as much.... But there are two nice garden centres very close to the site, which the op may have been familiar with, could've parked up there perhaps.

I'm all for getting value for money, the kids have only just stopped taking the 'p' cos of how much time I spend on MSE. Sites that rip us off are easily dealt with- just don't go again and post a review wherever you can (not mentioning any names Sandy Balls):mad:

But what would have happened if the pitch hadn't been vacated when the op arrived at 10.30?

Upvote 0

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
We are going on the Euro tunnel on Tuesday 07:20 our 1st France trip, only got the motorhome in Oct last year, keep your eyes peeled for Funster sticker we may well see you.
Will do,,,we are going down the coast to picardy , normandy, brittany....stickers in windows too,,,,(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back