£15k budget for a motorhome/van. Damp problems (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
My girlfriend and I want to move into a motorhome/van full-time. We've got about £15k budget but want to spend less if possible.

We've found two motorhomes we liked and paid MACIC to do an inspection on each. Both inspections advised not purchasing due to damp and other issues. Details from the reports below:

Motorhome 1
1988 reg. £6000
Various faults were found as listed above. The interior has been mostly and recently painted
with a very hard gloss paint. The reason for this is unknown but it makes it almost impossible to
obtain accurate damp readings, so you must draw your own conclusions as to why this has
been done. Furthermore, it is unsightly and devalues the Motorhome. No appliances could be
checked due to no power in the rear etc although after 15 minutes of engine running the
extractor fan worked but that was all.
It was disappointing that no service history was seen so it must be presumed that it has not
been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s schedules which may increase wear to
certain components. No cam belt record was seen so it must be presumed that this has not
been changed. There is an oil leakage which should be investigated further.
I cannot recommend the purchase of this Motorhome.

Motorhome 2
1990 reg. £8000
Essential repairs
Not recommended for purchase until following issues are rectified:
1. Delamination of floor under footstep and Nearside rear corner. Repair and cause to be
identified/rectified
2. Various areas of damp internally to be further investigated and repaired. Please see
report for damp readings and recommendations
3. Cracks in front corners of roof to be repaired
4. Offside tyre to be replaced and wear reason investigated
5. Nearside front window (remove misting to aid drivers vision)
6. Remove padding from front vents to aid demisting.

35% Off side above front window
35% in Off side rear overhead locker
29% in cupboard
27% around entrance door
15% in shower area

Guidelines for damp are as follows:
• 0-15% no cause for concern
• 15-20% require further investigation
• 20%+ remedial repairs required.
• 30% and above structural damage may be occurring and deterioration is
inevitable

We're feeling frustrated about this buying process now, having spent £800 on 2 inspections (£400 each). What should we do? Go ahead and buy one of these motorhomes and spend the money to fix them up? Or do more searching, possibly raising our budget, and try to find another vehicle that can pass inspection?

If we had to choose between these two, we're leaning towards Motorhome 2, as it has a lot of nice features like good sized fridge, lots of solar, automatic transmission.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looking at this Hymer from a dealer in Germany. 1990. 114,642 miles. Does this look like a tolerable amount of rust on the underside?

31469887168_102e2561cd_c.jpg

45344519991_c2fd5fd853_c.jpg

45344519761_94d95e083e_c.jpg

Good idea. I messaged them yesterday but haven't heard back. They might have sold it offline or reached a deal and closed the auction early.
Couple of uk winters with salty roads and if that underside hasn t been cleaned up and painted it's gonna get serious.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Here's a different Hymer: 1995, 90k miles. How's the rust on this one?

44431218905_8044dfd918_c.jpg

45344740021_15dbc64dee_c.jpg

44431218965_c0ba47b7ff_c.jpg

43529619350_d71e242009_c.jpg

45344739791_4b1f71ddb8_c.jpg

43529619000_124fed3f8d_c.jpg

44431218295_dd8250867a_c.jpg

MOT is pretty clean, just the last two years have these advisories:

Nearside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
Offside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

How much does that cost to fix? I found this thread on Out&About. Sounds like it should be fixed before it gets worse, and might cost around £500 for both wheels. Does that sound right?
This one looks better ...still wouldn't hurt to have the spring hangers rubbed down and given a coat of hammerite

Wheel bearings shouldn't cost anywhere near £500

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But personally if it was my money and I was set on a u shape lounge I'd buy that mobilvetta.
The u shape lounge makes up to a bed in less than 5 minutes .
And you won't bang your head in that

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The Mobilvetta looks perfect for fulltiming on a budget. Loads of living space, good base vehicle and sensibly priced.
Of course it could be a shed but seems to be 'worth a look' based on the eBay advert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
The Mobilvetta looks perfect for fulltiming on a budget. Loads of living space, good base vehicle and sensibly priced.
Of course it could be a shed but seems to be 'worth a look' based on the eBay advert.
Unfortunately it's been sold

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Aaaaarrrrrghhhh :eek: ... I'm gonna shoot myself now :Eeek:... I can't take it anymore! :tmi:

Its worse than water torture! :crying:

Think I am going to have to agree with you. I am still trying to work out what the OP actually wants. We are now into discussing pictures of the underside of MHs .. What about the engine / gearbox , tyres ,gas installation , fridge etc and where is he going to put all his stuff.

We saw a great cartoon on an old Hymer the other day. It said “ You think this is slow wait till we get to a hill “ . The guy reconned it easily did 50 going down hill but struggled up the inclines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We are now into discussing pictures of the underside of MHs .. What about the engine / gearbox , tyres ,gas installation , fridge etc and where is he going to put all his stuff.
Indeed so. Buying any 20 yr old vehicle is a gamble. I've been buying, selling and restoring old and classic vehicles......MG's, Minis, motorbikes etc as a hobby/passion for 40 years but a m/h has far more to go wrong.........go wrong..........go wrong..........
Since the OP doesn't have the experience or 'feel' to identify and diagnose the relevance/seriousness of noises, corrosion, faulty brakes, steering, suspension..........he's a soft touch, so needs to buy from a reputable U.K. dealer (do reputable dealers have m/h's for just 10 grand??) or a very honest private seller who is selling his/her own m/h that has been owned, used and regularly serviced for a few years. Even then, with a say, 20 yr old 10 grand m/h he needs to put aside funds (a 2 or 3 grand slush fund?) to be able to get it right or even to pay for routine maintenance and replacement of consumable parts, especially full-timing. This summer my son paid £225 to have his 4 yr old caravan fridge repaired. (I don't do fridges).
Hopefully this thread has at least made the OP a little wiser.

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
New mot rules should take a few neglected vehicles off the road anyway but anything with an mot until may will of been done under old mot guidelines.

My mot is not due until may next year and was done under old system.

Worst case it will always be worth something as scrap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Think I am going to have to agree with you. I am still trying to work out what the OP actually wants. We are now into discussing pictures of the underside of MHs .. What about the engine / gearbox , tyres ,gas installation , fridge etc and where is he going to put all his stuff.

My current thinking based on what you've all have said is that the two main dealbreakers are damp and rust. So I've been asking for the sellers to show me photos and do a damp check before I go view them. Of course I'll double check damp and rust and more when I actually do the viewing.

Even then, with a say, 20 yr old 10 grand m/h he needs to put aside funds (a 2 or 3 grand slush fund?) to be able to get it right or even to pay for routine maintenance and replacement of consumable parts, especially full-timing. This summer my son paid £225 to have his 4 yr old caravan fridge repaired. (I don't do fridges).
Hopefully this thread has at least made the OP a little wiser.
Yes, we've planned to have such a slush fund.

Upvote 0

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
I purchased my Hobby 750 fsme for £22,000 and its a 2001 with 30,000 miles and had lots of extras fitted for off grid living. I have recently discovered damp problems from a leaking shower tray that has spread about a bit in the under floor and some also by the inboard water tank. But there is nothing that cant be fixed if you have the right van that you love and want to keep! And I am very pleased with mine having already done 4000 miles since purchasing 10 months ago...its brilliant! So dont give up especially if you are prepared to do some work on it your selves.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Just viewed this today: Hymer B534, 1991, 140k miles

Photo album

I checked it all over for damp and didn't find anything over 10%, except the carpet around the fridge, which was reading up to 25%. But I pulled up the carpet and checked the floor, it only read 15%. But I wasn't able to pull up the the carpet in front of the fridge, only on the side.

What could be causing moisture to be accumulating around the fridge? Should I be worried about this?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Leaks from the fridge, happens a lot, check the floor area and try to get carpet up, it will need replacing anyway more than likely.
Have you been under the floor of the van from outside?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Yeah, the "photo album" link has photos of the underside. I didn't touch anything from the outside though.

Yes, the carpet and upholstery are all pretty old and I'd probably replace them after a few months, after we've "broken in" the moho for a few months. But they're certainly tolerable.

How to fix the leaks from the fridge?

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I purchased my Hobby 750 fsme for £22,000 and its a 2001 with 30,000 miles and had lots of extras fitted for off grid living. I have recently discovered damp problems from a leaking shower tray that has spread about a bit in the under floor and some also by the inboard water tank. But there is nothing that cant be fixed if you have the right van that you love and want to keep! And I am very pleased with mine having already done 4000 miles since purchasing 10 months ago...its brilliant! So dont give up especially if you are prepared to do some work on it your selves.
Great to know that you are still in love with your Hobby 750 even after the problems you’ve had with it. I used to have a later version - Toskana 750 FLC - best layout ever! (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Just viewed this today: Hymer B534, 1991, 140k miles

Photo album

I checked it all over for damp and didn't find anything over 10%, except the carpet around the fridge, which was reading up to 25%. But I pulled up the carpet and checked the floor, it only read 15%. But I wasn't able to pull up the the carpet in front of the fridge, only on the side.

What could be causing moisture to be accumulating around the fridge? Should I be worried about this?
I'm buying this! Seller is going to drive it to me on Tuesday in Nuremberg where I'm staying with some friends.

I'll post some photos soon.

Upvote 0

Katja

Free Member
Oct 6, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
Conversion: Fiat Ducato
Exp
Congrats! Hope you have lots of fun with your new home on wheels :). Would you mind opening a new thread about travelling/fulltiming in a moho with cats? I have a dog and 2 cats myself and would never have thought about taking the cats, as I figure they would have to be caged most of the time which they would hate. Therefore, I am very interested to hear if and how it can be managed.

Cheers!
Kat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Congrats! Hope you have lots of fun with your new home on wheels :). Would you mind opening a new thread about travelling/fulltiming in a moho with cats? I have a dog and 2 cats myself and would never have thought about taking the cats, as I figure they would have to be caged most of the time which they would hate. Therefore, I am very interested to hear if and how it can be managed.
Yes, will do so soon. We'll also blog about it.

For now, we have an Instagram: @fulltimingfelines

Upvote 0

Katja

Free Member
Oct 6, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
Conversion: Fiat Ducato
Exp
Lovely cats :)! The kitties look quite content. Are the allowed to run free in the m/h while you are drinving?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How to fix the leaks from the fridge?
It could simply be that when they turned the fridge off they don't put something in to catch the melting water from the freezer compartment so it has run out of the bottom of the fridge into the carpet ...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back