Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Took the motorhome for its mot today and we did the grand total of 538 miles since i last took it,with insurance road tax and mot fee that's about a £1 a mile just to own it,not forgetting AA fee and diesel and depreciation,aint worth me owning a motorhome,but things should get better at the end of the month as we wont be so busy,house iv been modernizing is almost finished and then sell that and sell ours then we are retiring down the coast somewhere.:party2:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure motor homes are ever worth it if you look at it in just cash terms

Most of us, especially with a newish van could buy a reasonable hotel room for the cost of the few days we are away

We are away touring around six months a year and it still worked out quite a lot of money per night on just depreciation on our new Autotrail when we sold it

But for us the motorhome gives benefits that are not quantifiable in pure cash terms. I hope I am never without one :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Still cheaper than hiring (y) ;) :)

Slightly OT but still relevant to the thread...
The majority of us buy these vehicles at great expense (relatively), pimp them with all sorts of accessories... then moan about the cost of running them :confused:.

Any vehicle isn't really an economic option.
I really don't see ownership as being a 'cheap' holiday option (generally speaking).
It's for the style & type of adventure surely?
So why the focus on a few quid here or there when we're lumbering around in an aerodynamic brick usually costing 10's of thousands?
Gumpy old git'ism presumably :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Always worth it, freedom when you want it at a moments notice.
I do hope you will do many more miles in the future.
We some times only go 20 miles from home for a Sat night, ITS HEAVEN.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Nows the time to keep it Chris if you are retiring.

Good luck(y)
wont be moving just yet as the wife dad is still alive bless him,when he goes we will be off,and i honestly dont mind if its 10 years time,but we will not be doing much work wise once we sell the other house so hopefully get out in the van more,might even venture into Europe with it,Spain and Portugal seem like a plan.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Isn't it more about the number of nights you've spent in it, rather than the mileage? But perhaps that's a low figure anyway...

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Still cheaper than hiring (y) ;) :)

Slightly OT but still relevant to the thread...
The majority of us buy these vehicles at great expense (relatively), pimp them with all sorts of accessories... then moan about the cost of running them :confused:.

Any vehicle isn't really an economic option.
I really don't see ownership as being a 'cheap' holiday option (generally speaking).
It's for the style & type of adventure surely?
So why the focus on a few quid here or there when we're lumbering around in an aerodynamic brick usually costing 10's of thousands?
Gumpy old git'ism presumably :D.
what bothers me more is seeing it sat there and we aint got the time or to busy to use it.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Looking on the bright side, it started, it got to the MOT station and back, and I'm guessing it passed.
And by the sound of it, you'll use it a lot more soon(ish)
i think a good few of those miles are maintenance miles to keep the wheels turning,think we used it for about 5 nights in all,yes it passed with no advisories.(y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I sympathise Chris.
I lost my licence for 6 months due to a" brain Fart" ((Epileptic seizure)) so its been a while since we were "away"..
But as the saying goes,,, "this too will pass"...
We are off to Croatia 6th Sept for a month-ish.
Good luck to you...
Mitch.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I sympathise Chris.
I lost my licence for 6 months due to a" brain Fart" ((Epileptic seizure)) so its been a while since we were "away"..
But as the saying goes,,, "this too will pass"...
We are off to Croatia 6th Sept for a month-ish.
Good luck to you...
Mitch.
cheers mitch.good luck to your self and partner have a great time away.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What part of moving South are we talking about... ????

Not got to sell this place have... :Eeek: :RollEyes: or am I safe.... :wink::rofl:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
wife just informed me she has to work on the Saturday of the bank holiday,but she's off sun,mon,tues,weds so looks like we might get away somewhere(y)
might go to old mo's :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Since we retired last year our mileage has gone up a bit from 6000 to 8000 but time away has increased now have 2 two month breaks and a one month one away and a few festivals.
I don't think Motorhome are that expensive our last one only lost 5% a year far less than a car. Now way could we afford to go away for that sort of time in hotels.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
MHs - as I've discovered in my search for our first one - have to be one of the slowest depreciating vehicles on our roads today. Even so, to get true VFM out of one you have to use it. That means you need to be either retired or in a business / job that doesn't demand your presence 5+ days a week. Can't think of anything worse than having 10, 20 or 40+k's worth of vehicle, costing £500-£600 PA to keep street legal, languishing on the driveway and barely turning a wheel for 48/9 weeks of the year. Then the viability of ownership does come into question.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We too, are limited users of our MH, however the pleasure of using it when we do far outweighs any costs of ownership & when you retire you'll no doubt use it more often & derive more pleasure from ownership (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhoming is something you do, not just a fortnight or so holiday a year, you could easily go on a cruise every year , or stay at the ritz, package tour , fly to America or Far East , or even restore houses or cars or whatever, they will all cost you money but you will be doing what you want to do, now everyone on here knows I'm a "bit" tight with money , and hate to see waste, but if you want to mess with motohomes or the other things iv mentioned I'm afraid you pay your money and take your choice or sit in the house all day.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I retired in July and leading up to that I only worked 2 days a week .We bought a new MH in March and have done nearly 6k already and haven't been out of UK . Hoping to get into Europe in the new year hospital appointments allowing.We made the decision to buy and use the new MH as much as possible because you don't know what's around the corner when you've have life threatening health problems.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not sure motor homes are ever worth it if you look at it in just cash terms

Most of us, especially with a newish van could buy a reasonable hotel room for the cost of the few days we are away

We are away touring around six months a year and it still worked out quite a lot of money per night on just depreciation on our new Autotrail when we sold it

But for us the motorhome gives benefits that are not quantifiable in pure cash terms. I hope I am never without one :)
Exactly...........

....plus since deciding to stop working for a living (not that I ever really did......) it is great to simply decide to go away for a few days whenever and wherever we want. Just tacked three extra days on after a sailing meeting with last minute decision to visit a relative and some friends.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back