Help. Batteries? Engine? God??? (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Help. None of this makes sense.

Before I go on and on can you tell me something. If the engine is running.. (I have an engine, 2 leisure batteries quite new, 2 solar panels, a battery master)......... and a garage man puts a multimeter or whatever it's called on the engine b, and checks and says if battery receiving powerand says, therefore, 'No. You don't need a new engine battery, it' s good and receiving power. And I say, 'Yes. But it' s receiving power from leisure battery I think cos panel indicator flashing that leisure batteries are GIVING OUT 6.3 V.! '

He says,' Oh, I know nothing about leisure batteries. '

What is your advice/info re engine battery problem, not the man.

The engine battery intermitently is dead as a dodo. No chugging. Then after several attempts its starts.

Sometimes it seems connected to gas flint!!! Or sat nav plugged in!! But not always.

After driving 8 hours, the readings on both sets of batteries are about 13.1 then the engine battery drops quickly and the leisure tops it up.

Overnight, they both drop to 12.5/4 but now (cloudy day) they're up again to 13.1. :(

Don't forget no tve, etc., just phone charger and occasionally Dongle.

Please don't tell me what to do like disconnect the the red wivwot and split the green dingdong and push wire into the wotsapop... I won't have a clue. Sorry. :(

Can you just tell me BASICALLY what you think is causing the problem. Really appreciate it if you're still with me up to the end of post. X

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Help. None of this makes sense.

Before I go on and on can you tell me something. If the engine is running.. (I have an engine, 2 leisure batteries quite new, 2 solar panels, a battery master)......... and a garage man puts a multimeter or whatever it's called on the engine b, and checks and says if battery receiving powerand says, therefore, 'No. You don't need a new engine battery, it' s good and receiving power. And I say, 'Yes. But it' s receiving power from leisure battery I think cos panel indicator flashing that leisure batteries are GIVING OUT 6.3 V.! '

He says,' Oh, I know nothing about leisure batteries. '

What is your advice/info re engine battery problem, not the man.

The engine battery intermitently is dead as a dodo. No chugging. Then after several attempts its starts.

Sometimes it seems connected to gas flint!!! Or sat nav plugged in!! But not always.

After driving 8 hours, the readings on both sets of batteries are about 13.1 then the engine battery drops quickly and the leisure tops it up.

Overnight, they both drop to 12.5/4 but now (cloudy day) they're up again to 13.1. :(

Don't forget no tve, etc., just phone charger and occasionally Dongle.

Please don't tell me what to do like disconnect the the red wivwot and split the green dingdong and push wire into the wotsapop... I won't have a clue. Sorry. :(

Can you just tell me BASICALLY what you think is causing the problem. Really appreciate it if you're still with me up to the end of post. X

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I hope someone who knows something comes along soon but I think engine battery - but I could be wrong.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Movan, you seem to be going from one problem to the next. I suggest you take it to a motorhome expert however there are many cowboys about that I found to my cost.

Maybe a call to eddievanbitz he is in your area and seems to have the reputation that could resolve your issues. or one of the other recommendations on here.

It may sound like an expensive option but taking to someone who knows what they are doing is probably your best bet, or you may end up paying numerous people o look at it without actually fixing the problem.

I hope you get it sorted soon so you can stop worrying 🤞

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If the engine is running.. (I have an engine, 2 leisure batteries quite new, 2 solar panels, a battery master)......... and a garage man puts a multimeter or whatever it's called on the engine b, and checks and says if battery receiving power and says, therefore, 'No. You don't need a new engine battery, it' s good and receiving power.
I'll have to digest all of that a bit more but if the vehicle battery is checked by the Man with a multimeter when the engine is running he'll be measuring the alternator output not the battery voltage or its condition, state of charge etc....................:unsure:
From what you've written I have my doubts that you have the right sort of Man.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
That's what I thought Helen.

I had my purse out ready for a new engine battery, when the guy with the multimeter said nothing wrong with it.

Hope he didn't damage my leisure batteries when he did that. :(

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Leisure batteries are shot if they are 6.3v 🤔 unless you meant amps 🤔
Could be a few things, needs going over with a clamp meter to find out whats happening... 🤯

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
They were flashing they were giving OUT that power and since only the engine was running and nothing else, I just presumed they were sending it to the engine? :(

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Several replies on your duplicated thread here:
;)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
That sounds like a bad connection (Live or Earth) at the battery posts.
When you turn the key to the first position do the dashboard lights come on? Then when you turn it to the 'Start' position (but the engine doesn't turn over) do the dashboard lights go out ?

There could be several reasons but I really think you need someone knowledgeable to trace the fault.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Average life of a starter battery is fours years if yours is older it probably needs replacing, but it really should be removed, recharged and voltage drop test to confirm it’s had it,
Again your leisure batteries shouldn’t be connected to your starter battery except by a split charge relay,
This would stop the leisure battery discharging into the starter battery,
You need a decent automotive electrical engineer to look how it’s been wired up,
Likewise I would be happy to look at for you if you where somewhere near me,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
movan. Are you anywhere near Peterborough Joy? If so, send me a PM please, and I'll return with our contact and location details. ❤️

If your engine started, then the cab battery must have enough power, and like Spriddler, I would suspect a bad connection or earth to be the cause of intermittent starting.

Re the leisure batteries powering the cab battery? No. Once the cab battery reaches a certain voltage from the alternator, the split charge relay kicks in and sends that same charge to the leisure batteries, not the other way round.

If no solar power, and not on EHU, there is every chance your leisure batteries may be very low, but if as low as 6.2v................that means they will be kaput. :(

Jock.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Joy... you are rambling abit and confusing yourself by considering to many things..
As far as I can tell from reading your post...you have a problem with intermittent starting of the van... thats it..
You appear to be assuming its because the battery is flat.. but you go on to say that it does eventually start..so its unlikely... its not a dead battery..
Dodgy earth..dodgy ignition.. dodgy starter solenoid...
You do need someone to have a look and if it requires in depth investigation then that someone will have to have an idea about the way the batteries are interconnected and the fact that you have solar present... just so they are not getting wrong ideas...
Your reference to 6.3 volts is most probably misleading.. if your leisure batteries were at that voltage you would have no hab power..
So unless you can say what else is faulty... your problem is an intermittent starting fault on the vehicle..
Andy

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Couple of quick checks Joy.

When it's dark, before starting the vehicle turn your ignition key to the "ignition on", but NOT turning over position. Put your headlights on, dipped will do. Are they fairly bright or quite dim ? If really dim then starter (cab) battery is low charge, or you have bad connections.

Switch headlights off. Start MH engine, put headlights back on. Are they correct brightness ? If so, try revving the engine a bit, do they go a bit brighter ? If so, then the alternator is probably OK.

After the engine has been off a while can you use all your hab equipment normally ? IE the interior lights, water pump etc ? If so, the HAb battery is probably OK as if it was down at 7ish volts it would not power your water pump.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Sorry I can't give any direct help or advice, because I'm a numpty.

I am, however, at;

On Wednesday for them to work on my 12v electrics and staying locally Monday to Friday.

If you were to choose them I can give vehicle backup.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Movan

Average life of a starter battery is fours years if yours is older it probably needs replacing, but it really should be removed, recharged and voltage drop test to confirm it’s had it,
Again your leisure batteries shouldn’t be connected to your starter battery except by a split charge relay,
This would stop the leisure battery discharging into the starter battery,
You need a decent automotive electrical engineer to look how it’s been wired up,
Likewise I would be happy to look at for you if you where somewhere near me,

I agree with that. Although the comment about more recent batteries needing to be changed after 4 years might be valid, I just changed a starter battery which was at least 12 years old in my ownership, and may even have been the original from 18 years old.

Battery voltages should be checked only after any charging system, whether engine alternator, EHU or solar has been inactive for one hour, otherwise one is measuring the residual charging voltage on the battery plates.

I also think that you should go to a MH service facility with a good automotive technician who understands the relationship of the various chargers, split relays and domestic and starter battery set-ups. Where are you Joy, so that somebody can recommend?

Geoff

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Something isn't right, there is no way two L/batteries with solar back up have got down to 6.3v using only a charger and a dongle. I presume the water pump, lights and heating fan have also been in use?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
. I won't have a clue.
hi movan.
Go on.... Ancestry,and look up " You are NOT alone under " J's "? "............. I would bet GOOD money,my wife Jennifer and you,share DNA... :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y) .
Tea Bag.
PS. Hope you get the answer you are looking for... (y) (y)

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Something isn't right, there is no way two L/batteries with solar back up have got down to 6.3v using only a charger and a dongle. I presume the water pump, lights and heating fan have also been in use?
No, they havn't been in use because I am visiting family. Just phone charger when needed and dongle. ... But I may have confused you. They, Leisure batbat, flashed 6.3 when the man was testing the e battery.

Overnight then went from 12.8 or whatever to 12.3. I' m wary of attempting ignition because once more it may just do NOTHING. No rev, click, chug. :(

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks everyone.

I'll try those suggestions tomorrow. Really grateful.

I thought I had gone to a reliable autoelectrician when the guy came out with the statement that he didn't know about leisure batteries!!!!

Please don't worry about telling me where to go until I try out the above suggestions. You are BRILLIANT. X. :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If your van battery is on its way out, when you turn on the ignition, the eBox WILL send current from the leisure batteries to the van battery to top it up.
You need to check the van battery with a multimeter at least an hour after the van has been run, with no ehu connected and the solar panels either disconnected, covered up or during the hours of darkness.
When did you last have a new van battery fitted Joy ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And I say, 'Yes. But it' s receiving power from leisure battery I think cos panel indicator flashing that leisure batteries are GIVING OUT 6.3 V.! '

First Joy, the engine battery CANNOT receive power from the leisure battery.
Where this 6.3v is coming from I have no idea because it would be 12v if it could feed the engine battery.

Secondly, If it starts eventually the engine battery is NOT dead... Its more likely a bad wire connection on the starter... Either live or earth, or the ignition switch is faulty.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
and the solar panels either disconnected, covered up
THANK YOU. That's what I said to the garage guy when he put that equipment on but he just ignored me. I feel a bit better now. X
Its more likely a bad wire connection on the starter... Either live or earth, or the ignition switch is faulty.

Thanks John. I tried late yesterday afternoon to book into a caravan place garage, won't mention names, as a customer at third garage I went to recommended them as his son works there. They are booked up many weeks in advance!! :(

I'll chwck the headlight strength etc later.

Thanks all. Sorry for double post.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
At a guess I'd say your engine battery has had it. Get your electrical man to disconnect your leisure to test.
Think your leisure battery is trying to start your engine and its not built for fast output to starter motor. Hope that helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back