MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Just been, what a bloody nightmare. Tried the beach cafe car park, now has height barriers which they will raise for a coach BUT not a motorhome. Motorhome in front of us was having a right argument with the attendant and drove down a little lane to the side and parked up. I just turned around, helped by the attendant, all amicable, he was apologising for no parking being available and I didn't have an issue, I thanked him for helping me and drive away. I just drove 20 yards and someone in a parkie uniform (remember when they had real parkies !!) driving a van, stopped abruptly alongside us and jumped out of his van right in front of us, there was no reason for him to stop and the road in front of him was clear. I asked if I could help him and his response was that he informed me that he was asking the police to attend, when i asked what for, he just shrugged his shoulders 'because ....' ... Because what I asked ? Ermmm, just go' was his response, so I did, never to return. Correspondence will be sent to the local council over his threatening attitude.

What a shame they haven't made provision for perhaps 10 motorhomes in the town, on a first come first served, basis, at least it would show we're welcome to spend our money there, just the same as anyone driving any other vehicle.

As for 'mobile parkies' ..... Dickhead !

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
There is a far better car park off of Freeman Street I believe it is called. Motorhomes are accepted and short walk to the Quay. I believe that it is cheaper as well. Very amiable guy when I was last there, in May.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I used to love Wells but we avoid it now. We won't pay the extortionate prices for the campsite at the Pinewoods but we used to have a day there, in the beach car park. There reasons for turning away motorhomes seem to be that they are scared of travellers taking over their car park.

We go to Brancaster beach now, where there's plenty of parking for motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Not for everyone I know but there are two THSs in Wells next the Sea at the moment.

Reactions: GJH
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I honestly never knew about the Freeman street one, looks ideal! Might even be good for an overnight sneaky stay out of season.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I honestly never knew about the Freeman street one, looks ideal! Might even be good for an overnight sneaky stay out of season.
Hope you've got a small mh, it's not a large car park. Wouldn't risk an overnight any time, too many "local observers" ready to inform the authorities.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
There is a pub opposite the chippy on the main drag in, can't remember what it's called, they will let you park in their car park.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The Wells guide suggests that no m/h on the Freeman Street CP:
Also nothing over 3.5t on any NNDC CP (not all Wells CPs are NNDC):
<Broken link removed>

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I rough camped in a small layby a couple of miles out. Set back behind a grass cresent was a great spot, couple if other there so I felt comfortable.

Cheers James

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Think the only pub there is the Golden Fleece which doesn't have a car park?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not for everyone I know but there are two THSs in Wells next the Sea at the moment.
We stayed at a THS at Alderman Peel School, Wells Next The Sea, a few years ago. Easy walking to and from the town and bus to Junstanton for the day.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Park at lady Annes drive near the Victoria and walk in through the pine forest

Broken Link Removed

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
The Wells guide suggests that no m/h on the Freeman Street CP:
Also nothing over 3.5t on any NNDC CP (not all Wells CPs are NNDC):
<Broken link removed>
Yes found this about the freeman street one, operated by Holkham estate

Wells Town, Freeman Street Car Park
Open 8am to 7pm​

Cars
Up to 2 hours £3.50
Up to 4 hours £5.00
Over 4 hours and all day £7.00

Coaches
FREE

On busy days when this car park is full, you will be re-directed to the adjoining overflow car park, which means parking on grass and walking just a little bit further to Wells town.

Please note that the car park will be locked overnight. To minimise the risk of fire, the use of barbeques, fires or stoves is strictly prohibited.

Access and parking of large vehicles more than 2 metres high, 1.83 metres wide or 4.8 metres long requires the prior consent of Holkham - please email parking@holkham.co.uk (includes motorhomes, campervans, day vans, etc).

Caravans and trailers prohibited. No overnight parking. We reserve the right to close this car park due to estate management reasons.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Seems there are 2 on Freeman Street! The one run by Holkham Estate appears to allow mohos but not caravans (as in PaulC70 's post) but the one run by doesn't:

Freeman Street Car Park​

There is a car park on Freeman Street on the site of the old Ark Royal public house, operated by a private contractor, with spaces for 75 cars.​
For Sat Nav directions use postcode NR23 1AS.​
Open 24 hours​
Pay and Display or Pay Online / Mobile.​
Parking costs (cars / vans / motorcycles):​
0-2 Hours: £4.00
2-4 Hours: £8.00
All day: £10.00​
Camper vans and coaches are prohibited.​
For more information visit the RCP website.​

So the one to aim for is at NR23 1BF and the one to avoid is at NR23 1AS. Confused yet?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
was that he informed me that he was asking the police to attend, when i asked what for, he just shrugged his shoulders 'because ....' ... Because what I asked ? Ermmm, just go' was his response, so I did, never to return.
I had that once years ago .I just said "call them" removed keys from there ignition & waited.
There is a far better car park off of Freeman Street I believe it is called. Motorhomes are accepted and short walk to the Quay. I believe that it is cheaper as well. Very amiable guy when I was last there, in May.
Stearmans Yard car park off Freemans road is the one I always used,over the road from the quay.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Just been, what a bloody nightmare. Tried the beach cafe car park, now has height barriers which they will raise for a coach BUT not a motorhome. Motorhome in front of us was having a right argument with the attendant and drove down a little lane to the side and parked up. I just turned around, helped by the attendant, all amicable, he was apologising for no parking being available and I didn't have an issue, I thanked him for helping me and drive away. I just drove 20 yards and someone in a parkie uniform (remember when they had real parkies !!) driving a van, stopped abruptly alongside us and jumped out of his van right in front of us, there was no reason for him to stop and the road in front of him was clear. I asked if I could help him and his response was that he informed me that he was asking the police to attend, when i asked what for, he just shrugged his shoulders 'because ....' ... Because what I asked ? Ermmm, just go' was his response, so I did, never to return. Correspondence will be sent to the local council over his threatening attitude.

What a shame they haven't made provision for perhaps 10 motorhomes in the town, on a first come first served, basis, at least it would show we're welcome to spend our money there, just the same as anyone driving any other vehicle.

I was there last Sunday, I was with a bunch of lads on our motorcycles. Talk about crowded, and totally manic there. Also coming out we got stuck behind tractors galore, passed one lot only to come across another lot. I felt sorry for all the cagers ( car drivers, and even one motorhome driver) all stuck and could not pass as only enough for bikes (if lucky) and everyone moving over to allow oncoming traffic. Like a said manic. Best to visit out of season.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Far better to go somewhere that’s not only beautiful, but where you’ll be welcomed by the locals. We’ve just had an idyllic 10 days in N Yorkshire, staying at a variety of pubs, a couple of very relaxed ‘find your own pitch’ sites on farms, a night parked next to Whitby Abbey, Castle Howard, etc, etc. Beautiful, and made welcome everywhere. Even a honeypot like Grassington made sufficient space for visitor parking.

Wells, sorry, if you don’t want us, that’s just fine! We’ll spend our holiday cash elsewhere. No problem.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
That as well ManTheVan, some roads are very narrow, but not impossible. We would like to go in the MH, but the cost is a lot of dosh. Prefer to stay near Cromer and bus in, easier that way:cool:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We were at Stiffkey (Highsands Creek) last week. Cycled into Wells a couple of times. Sure is busy! Nice town though.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

Sounds as if he might have thought you were the MH in front of you who was arguing?

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
The Holkham estate owns a lot of land and property in and around Wells including some of the car parks, Pinewoods camp site and beach cafe. They recently decided to restrict access to the parking of caravans and motorhomes in the area, so unless you use one of the sites it’s going to be a difficult area to visit.
Out of season it’s one of our favourite haunts, in my mind the fabulous beach walks with the dog, a good selection of pubs and the Great Crab house fish restaurant are worth the cost of staying at Pinewoods, plus they have heated floors in the shower block.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The Holkham estate owns a lot of land and property in and around Wells including some of the car parks, Pinewoods camp site and beach cafe. They recently decided to restrict access to the parking of caravans and motorhomes in the area, so unless you use one of the sites it’s going to be a difficult area to visit.
Out of season it’s one of our favourite haunts, in my mind the fabulous beach walks with the dog, a good selection of pubs and the Great Crab house fish restaurant are worth the cost of staying at Pinewoods, plus they have heated floors in the shower block.
I think it’s 25 thousand acres

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It was somewhere I always wanted to visit tried it last year got 10 minutes of my life too many people nowhere to park even more people got the hell out of there.

I would still like to see the place maybe after dark in mid winter maybe more appealing :unsure:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It was a nice quiet little town when I lived there ... tourism wasn't really a "thing" in working fishing villages except in Greece ...

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Sounds as if he might have thought you were the MH in front of you who was arguing?
i agree, but that doesnt excuse his poor behaviour, he should have at least been courteous and than if i hadnt responded in a similar fashion, then i could have understood him becoming 'less courteous', but to start off from that position .......

i wonder if its because everyone in a motorhome looks the same and you cant tell one from the other .....

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
Sadly it is not just Wells. The whole of the North Norfolk coast has become so congested this year that I find it unattractive. I have a major problem with crowded places (always have) and I try to avoid them. However I was in Wells last Thursday evening but walked in from a nearby small site about two and a half miles away. I found the fortitude to queue for a fine portion of French's fish and chips and a walk along the quay towards Standard House found a quiet spot to sit, eat and enjoy the sunshine.

How North Norfolk has changed since I was a lad!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back