MH security (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi All
Thought I better post this separately. I think the Moho was tried yesterday morning and it's got me worried now. I'm thinking of a tracker and an interior camera so looking for recommendations on both. The van is stored away from the house in Airport parking which has 24hr security, CCTV and gates so I'm not too worried whilst it's in there (although never say never)
I'll contact my local repairer about a tracker but in the case of a interior camera what should I be looking for? I'm wondering about power and linking it to my phone so would it need to have a sim card and monthly subscription?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Hello all from a campsite 2 miles from home. I recently upgraded our mobile broadband device from Huawei to "Mobile on Board "
BEAM XPRESSi. ULTRA-COMPACT ONBOARD Wi-Fi AND GPS device £220. uses a 3 data SIM, WiFi with legs 24gb valid 2 years for £42 and it rings your mobile if the van gets moved without you in it and tracks it relaying to your mobile phone, so you can tell the police where it is. £30 per year subscription and you are not dependent on a third party other than the police.

Stay safe

Ken

Upvote 1

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’m on my second van, growler and non starter fitted to both, nuff said, I don’t spend any time worrying about where it is cos I know it’s where I left it and if somebody is daft enough to have a go after all the blue flashing leds and window stickers, the devils wail will sound, they will scarper and I’ll be informed by phone👌🏼

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Morning Hogger!
An alternative to a Tracker might be the Vodafone Curve, just needs USB power. I think it is £20 and then £2 pm. If you can hide that somewhere it works really well. Will track you moho for you on the Vodafone smart app.

Cheers

Gerry
Interesting. Do you need a vodafone sim in your phone as well for the app to work?

Upvote 0

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
... large gauge motorcycle chain put through your wheels...
Seems a great idea to me. Sold Secure Gold lock & chains arent cheap but can be incredibly strong, not the type of thing an angle grinder will get through quietly or in moments. Use on more than one wheel and you multiply the effect. Also very visible so a deterrent before anyone attempts to break in.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best (or at least very good).

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I use an old iphone (hidden under a panel and kept charged by the leisure batteries) and ‘Life360’
with a £6pm sim (works with android too I believe)
This tells me the location of the MoHo and also alerts me if if moves from it’s storage
Actually, L360 also tells me when the wife is on her way home from work And where she is at all times
I know not everyone would accept this but we have no secrets so our ‘location’ is broadcast to both our phones.
We also keep an eye on an elderly friend who tends to ‘wander off’ at times

BROKEN LINK

Andy

My wife knows my location from the coffee shop payment pings to her internet banking.....!!!

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Van bitz for me had strikeback and tracker and non starter fitted early June very neat job would highly recommend.

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
My 2007 Hymer has a Strikeback alarm that was fitted, probably when the van was newish, by Eddie’s then agent in Northern Ireland. It still works👍. Judging by the number of ‘beeps’ when setting it, something is not working. Probably the bike alarm bit, but it does its job. Flashing warning lights are a clear deterrent at the front and in a rear light. And a loud siren when I forget its on! I’m sure there are plenty of other alarms just as good, but thirteen years and counting is a good testament to anything I think.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a scorpion tracker & alarm, all doors and bonnet are alarmed and for movements inside as well, I also have to have a supplied fob with me when driving no fob I get a scorpion call on the phone. if it is been nicked they will remotely switch the engine off once police have arrived in sight as they will have given the police directions, Van bitz is also a good one as well.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2018
hogger After researching what was available in MH security, I decided on a Strikeback Growler alarm and a Non Starter from VanBitz. I'm getting it fitted in a few weeks time.
I'm travelling approximately 430 miles (hopefully not more than 7 hours on the road) for fitting. One free night stay on their camp site is offered by VanBitz and accepted by me but more nights for payment is also offered. I had a few phone calls with VanBitz before deciding on them. They were very user friendly and never pushy at selling.
I'm also using this opportunity to visit Somerset, Cornwall and Devon. I will be purchasing locally to support local businesses.

First heard of VanBitz on this forum. As a member of MotorhomeFun you can get a discount with VanBitz if you give them the MotorhomeFun code WHEN YOU BOOK with them. I did :dance2:.
Had my Strikeback Growler Alarm and Non Starter from VanBitz fitted today. Workmanship looks excellent. Good demonstration and handover From Ian. Alarm sound is superb. Will report back with an update over the next few weeks.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
My cheap and cheerful system consists of a Stoplock steering wheel clamp for a visual deterrent and slows down any chancer, a Blink mini Camera which pings to my phone and records said thief and a Vodaphone curve tracker which tracks the van and pings to my phone if it leaves a set location.
All in I think it has cost me about £85 and £2 a month for the Curve Subscription.
But if your van is in excess of £40000 then I'd probably go with one of the more pricer solutions mentioned above (y)
<M>

Upvote 0

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Update.
The guy I bought the van from was ex police as was his wife and they both said don't waste your money on a tracker as they are often not monitored despite the claims and police aren't interested. hmm so why waste upwards of £500 for a thatcham approved fancy pants one :unsure:
We have a tracker from Global Telemetrics. As we are still fairly new to MH, we occasionally forget to turn the owner id card on when we drive off, and we also have a battery disconnect switch, which was installed before we bought the van in totally the wrong place, so it regularly gets kicked. Global Telemetrics has called or sent a text within 10 minutes every single time one of those two things has happened - I am forever apologising, but the service is excellent.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
Hi All
Thought I better post this separately. I think the Moho was tried yesterday morning and it's got me worried now. I'm thinking of a tracker and an interior camera so looking for recommendations on both. The van is stored away from the house in Airport parking which has 24hr security, CCTV and gates so I'm not too worried whilst it's in there (although never say never)
I'll contact my local repairer about a tracker but in the case of a interior camera what should I be looking for? I'm wondering about power and linking it to my phone so would it need to have a sim card and monthly subscription?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
we have a tracker that we put our own motorhome with a vfone sim in it costs £5 pm.
I soldered it in a hidden place, then we rent a space on a satellite from gps server.com for 12 euro,s per year,its very accurate to within a few meters,you can set up a geo fence, if it leaves that area you get a message to your phone and can track it live.

I have another from vfone themselves called curve it costs £20 then £2 per month that is also very accurate,(to me it is worth having a tracker as i will waste no time in tracking it myself and recover it myself)
There was a story recently in the liverpool echo about a motorhome hire company lost 5 motorhomes after the owner was followed home to burgle the house for the keys,they did have trackers fitted and did get them all back from various parts of the country.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/family-business-ransacked-thieves-who-20792170

Adding anything extra like a thatcham cat 1 alarm and immobiliser, steering wheel disc lock, wheel clamp, also you can have euro security deadlocks on your cab doors, ect will help but wont stop them trying or damaging your van.

I have also read on here that some funsters turn the drivers seat backwards and lock it in that position with a motorcyle disc lock, i'm not saying everything i have done to my own van is suitable for everyone but the more obstacles you put in the way and the more visible they are the more chance you have of keeping it. I'm quite happy that our moho is reasonably safe, they would have to lift it with a hiab, or they would have to burgle the house to get the keys..... the keys they wont find, but my 10 stone Rottweiller will wait silently, until they are in and then won't let them out again!

I'm sure you will receive loads of helpful advice from our funsters who are very knowledgeable about a lot of things, good luck,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
Interesting. Do you need a vodafone sim in your phone as well for the app to work?
The £20 Vodaphone Curve comes with a Vodaphone Sim built in. It costs £2 each month when you have registered.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2018
My cheap and cheerful system consists of a Stoplock steering wheel clamp for a visual deterrent and slows down any chancer, a Blink mini Camera which pings to my phone and records said thief and a Vodaphone curve tracker which tracks the van and pings to my phone if it leaves a set location.
All in I think it has cost me about £85 and £2 a month for the Curve Subscription.
But if your van is in excess of £40000 then I'd probably go with one of the more pricer solutions mentioned above (y)
<M>
Next Stop Yes, it is in excess of £40K. Around six weeks before I got my M/H, one of my neighbours a few streets away had his M/H stolen from in front of his house in the early hours. It was all packed up ready to go around 8am. He had an alarm, immobiliser a tracker and a steering lock fitted. He got a notification on his phone but by the time he looked out his window his van was gone. He phoned the police and the tracking company. Tracker stopped transmitting around two miles away. He’s never seen his beloved M/H again. sorted out with his insurance company and is now back on the road with a replacement M/H.
I moved from a VW T6. It had the standard VW alarm and immobiliser but I also used a steering lock, peddle lock and wheel lock on it.
Hopefully this is now my forever M/H so I researched to see what security would fit best for me. That’s why I chose Vanbitz.

Everyone to their own requirements. I especially like that I can put on the perimeter alarm (doors, lockers, and bicycle loop) while asleep wherever I am and have the facility of a panic alarm. The alarm sound is loud and even louder when the interior system is set. I also like the Non Starter system.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Next Stop Yes, it is in excess of £40K. Around six weeks before I got my M/H, one of my neighbours a few streets away had his M/H stolen from in front of his house in the early hours. It was all packed up ready to go around 8am. He had an alarm, immobiliser a tracker and a steering lock fitted. He got a notification on his phone but by the time he looked out his window his van was gone. He phoned the police and the tracking company. Tracker stopped transmitting around two miles away. He’s never seen his beloved M/H again. sorted out with his insurance company and is now back on the road with a replacement M/H.
I moved from a VW T6. It had the standard VW alarm and immobiliser but I also used a steering lock, peddle lock and wheel lock on it.
Hopefully this is now my forever M/H so I researched to see what security would fit best for me. That’s why I chose Vanbitz.

Everyone to their own requirements. I especially like that I can put on the perimeter alarm (doors, lockers, and bicycle loop) while asleep wherever I am and have the facility of a panic alarm. The alarm sound is loud and even louder when the interior system is set. I also like the Non Starter system.
Gees, that infuriates me when I hear of someone having their MH Pinched, especially just before a trip, having it ransacked is one thing but to have it stolen from right outside must be devastating:cry:, it's not just losing the van and the hassle that ensues, it's the mental scarring that will probably never heal.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2020
Swansea South Wales.
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
Exp
We are Newbies.
hogger After researching what was available in MH security, I decided on a Strikeback Growler alarm and a Non Starter from VanBitz. I'm getting it fitted in a few weeks time.
I'm travelling approximately 430 miles (hopefully not more than 7 hours on the road) for fitting. One free night stay on their camp site is offered by VanBitz and accepted by me but more nights for payment is also offered. I had a few phone calls with VanBitz before deciding on them. They were very user friendly and never pushy at selling.
I'm also using this opportunity to visit Somerset, Cornwall and Devon. I will be purchasing locally to support local businesses.

First heard of VanBitz on this forum. As a member of MotorhomeFun you can get a discount with VanBitz if you give them the MotorhomeFun code WHEN YOU BOOK with them. I did :dance2:.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Really trackers should have some kind of detector in that identifies someone trying to cloak it or detect where it is & automatically sets off some type of detonation.💣🩸

Upvote 0

Gary Coedfryn

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Borth, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
Newbie to owning one
I've just come from Vanbitz for a Strikeback and Non-Starter fit. Really impressed with both systems. The non starter needs you to input a code via your phone otherwise the engine won't start.

Upvote 0

Wyvern

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Second time around for Vanbitz….strikeback Growler, tracker and non starter next Wednesday. Fantastic service and peace of mind is worth he cost.

Upvote 0

Dark_Comet

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Have not bought one yet.
Very good extensive section on vehicle security in the current edition of Practical Motorhome. Some of the suggestions that stood out was a steering wheel disc lock. Great visible deterent as impossible to remove if fitted correctly. The vehicle tracker, whilst expensive but cheap if you get your vehicle back. Couple of good wheel clamps and not the cheap variety. One particular deterent im a great beleiver in is a de mobiliser. Even if that was all you fitted, your vehicle is dead as if the battery was removed. But what really deters the thieves is visible indicators on the van displaying what deterents are fitted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks everyone for you're advise. I have a milenco steering wheel lock at the moment and a Bulldog Wheel Clamp which is a right heavy bugger to put on but worth the effort for a visual deterrent. I'll look at some clever electronics soon(y)

Upvote 0

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
30 years on boats now MH now a chugger
The £20 Vodaphone Curve comes with a Vodaphone Sim built in. It costs £2 each month when you have registered.
Avoid the Vodafone Curve device, the app is useless and full of bugs. Read the Trustpilot and Google reviews including mine. Sent back for refund as not fit for purpose.

Upvote 0

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
Morning Hogger!
An alternative to a Tracker might be the Vodafone Curve, just needs USB power. I think it is £20 and then £2 pm. If you can hide that somewhere it works really well. Will track you moho for you on the Vodafone smart app.

Cheers

Gerry
Avoid the Vodafone curve, it's full of bugs and doesn't work unfortunately. A disgrace to Vodafone.

Upvote 0

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
It's the app not the thing itself, the device looks great.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back