Motorhome owners are outstaying their welcome (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure if this has been posted but, according to Wales Online, the locals are getting upset about vans using the free parking at Burry Port Harbour.

“Motorhomes have descended on our town once again, selfishly taking up most of the seafront parking spaces on the harbour’s east side and Pembrey Old Harbour car park, depriving local people, visitors, the elderly and disabled, of the very limited car parking spaces available."

“We are told that some motorhomes are parked up for days on end. Residents feel that permanent signs must be erected in our car parks to stop overnight parking by these vehicles. Such measures have already been introduced in Pembrokeshire, due to similar problems, where fines have been imposed for non-compliance."

“There are good quality sites in the vicinity which provide facilities for touring motorhomes and more should be done to persuade them to use these serviced sites. Carmarthenshire County Council must now take the necessary action to deal with this problem before it gets out of hand, causing unnecessary animosity, as it did during the summer of last year.”

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I feel for them, but they are classing all motorhomers as if we all know each other and "gang" up.

The facts are one turns up , then someone else etc etc, all as "individuals" so to say "selfishly" is not quite right.
Then to rely on "individuals" to all see there are too many there and try and find elsewhere is a big ask.
I agree a limit on time could be the answer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Unfortunately this is what a lot of people call "Wild Camping" it is not it is freeloading.
If we want to stay somewhere for a few days we find a campsite, not park up of the roadside and set up camp.
As far as i believe, wild camping is all about being discreet and out of the way.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Let me re-write the original quote for accuracy.

"People in motorhomes are ruining the view for those of us who want to park our cars there and enjoy a sandwich and a thermos of stewed tea, by parking there in their motorhomes, enjoying a proper lunch and a fresh brew. This is obviously completely unfair and so should be stopped." Ann Greegit - Wales.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Unfortunately this is what a lot of people call "Wild Camping" it is not it is freeloading.
In your opinion.

'If we want to stay somewhere for a few days we find a campsite, not park up of the roadside and set up camp."

Well good for you, but, if every motorhome was on a site they'd all be full & no room for you.

DP

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Let me re-write the original quote for accuracy.

"People in motorhomes are ruining the view for those of us who want to park our cars there and enjoy a sandwich and a thermos of stewed tea, by parking there in their motorhomes, enjoying a proper lunch and a fresh brew. This is obviously completely unfair and so should be stopped." Ann Greegit - Wales.
if Motorhomes did only stop for lunch there probably would not be an issue, I am not saying I know the rights and wrongs but it s inevitable that increased use of sites such as this will cause discontentment.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
And this is the problem. Pay50 to 100 k for a MH. But refuse to pay 25 quid for a site. Eventually we will be banned from everywhere.
Why is it assumed by many that we all drive £50K motorhomes. I like many do not and banning motorhomes from car parks during the day helps no one. My wife has mobility issues and to park in a car park with a view on a day out is a joy for her.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
And this is the problem. Pay50 to 100 k for a MH. But refuse to pay 25 quid for a site. Eventually we will be banned from everywhere.
Oh dear me...

Folk "off-site motorhome" for many more reasons than the economic one.

"50 to 100 k for a MH"?

LOL... which Tribe is this one?

JJ :cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why is it assumed by many that we all drive £50K motorhomes. I like many do not and banning motorhomes from car parks during the day helps no one. My wife has mobility issues and to park in a car park with a view on a day out is a joy for her.
I agree that cost of the motorhome is irrelevant. However, one problem with so many camping (rather than simply parking for a few hours) where they upset local people is that locals lobby councillors to take action and that often results in height barriers. Height barriers stop those who just want a day out such as you describe as well as those camping for free.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
It's not about that. There are two main reasons for wild camping. One is that sites are rarely where we want to be,eg. within easy walking distance of of shops, pub or beach etc.
The second is, that as pensioners, we have a budget & money can only be spent once. £25 to rent a piece of grass or gravel for the night OR spend it in the community, can't do both.

DP

Deleted User
This is blatant vehicle discrimination. If motorhomers chose to drive a car there instead nothing would be or could be said, it's the same as happened in Exmouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It's not about that. There are two main reasons for wild camping. One is that sites are rarely where we want to be,eg. within easy walking distance of of shops, pub or beach etc.
The second is, that as pensioners, we have a budget & money can only be spent once. £25 to rent a piece of grass or gravel for the night OR spend it in the community, can't do both.

DP
Haha, a cup of coffee in a National chain is supporting the local economy ? You only have to see every other thread on here of people thinking everything is a rip off, and you expect others to believe that by staying for free you are doing the locals a favour. That’s gonna need a top notch salesman to sell that one.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Obviously I am on the side of the motorhomes here, but you have to think, if they don't want MHS there they are not going to provide parking for them, they want them on the sites, which you have to see the point of the people who live there, ok some vans might be 100 grand but that doesn't say they can park in front of someone's house that might have cost half a million.
We are a big minority outside of this group, and although it seems we should have dedicated parking the vast majority of people in the real world can't see the need.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Haha, a cup of coffee in a National chain is supporting the local economy ?
Who mentioned coffee or national chains? I try to avoid them like covid, preferring instead to support local butcher ( lovely piece of steak in Millport), baker etc.
DP

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Even France has/had this problem and takes steps. In the dim distant past when we've parked with nearside wheels on the beach on the old Seté beach road we've had notes, albeit polite, asking us not to park in front of flats. Nowadays the road is blocked of and nobody can park there.
Ratepayers/Voters always trump visitors.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I posted on another thread enquiring about parking at burry port. We've stayed many times in the past. Always payed the harbour master the required fee.
I know things have changed with harbour development but I was just wondering if overnight stops had been stopped.
We have friends who live in burry port. We only want to stay 1 night (tonight, I'll let you know)
I think the argument is not entirely correct. The nearest houses are at least 1/2 mile away. Our friends live in one of those. Hopefully I'll get some first hand knowledge later today.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Even France has/had this problem and takes steps. In the dim distant past when we've parked with nearside wheels on the beach on the old Seté beach road we've had notes, albeit polite, asking us not to park in front of flats. Nowadays the road is blocked of and nobody can park there.
Ratepayers/Voters always trump visitors.
Always about the money, rates are a definite source of income not just someone promising to pay on the Internet.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
They should have 5 dedicated bays only for motorhoners/campervans .
PAID £10 for 24hrs
Max stay 48hrs

No more problems
Except that it is another level of admin that the cash strapped local authority has to resource out of their revenue budget. Personally I would not be surprised or unduly upset if the local authority applied the simple solution and put height barriers in - capital budgets are usually a little more flexible.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
They should have 5 dedicated bays only for motorhoners/campervans .
PAID £10 for 24hrs
Max stay 48hrs

No more problems
Imagine those prices in Cornwall, they would have to reduce the price they charge for cars. Haha

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
if Motorhomes did only stop for lunch there probably would not be an issue, I am not saying I know the rights and wrongs but it s inevitable that increased use of sites such as this will cause discontentment.
My post was mostly written in jest and I do agree that a little consideration (only stopping for one night etc) should be shown. I do also though (having used my own van extensively in Poland during both summer and off-peak times) think that the "rahh, vans everywhere, burn the witch" type sentiment is a curious, uniquely British one.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My post was mostly written in jest and I do agree that a little consideration (only stopping for one night etc) should be shown. I do also though (having used my own van extensively in Poland during both summer and off-peak times) think that the "rahh, vans everywhere, burn the witch" type sentiment is a curious, uniquely British one.
May be population density has something to do with it ?

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
May be population density has something to do with it ?
Maybe, but I don't think it fully explains it. Poland is, of course, a much larger country than the UK, but the population is mainly concentrated in the larger towns and cities. In those, I would say that the population density is probably equal to, if not even higher than, the UK, simply due to the higher use of large apartment blocks that are a throwback to the communist era.
I'm not saying that people don't get frustrated over here, they certainly do. But the "I must write a letter to my local paper expressing my outrage" type thing seems a uniquely (and kind of charming now I don't live there!) British one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back