How secure is your hab door? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I went to unlock my hab door on my Mobilvetta to find the barrel of the lock loose - it just came out with the key.

Someone had tried (and probably succeeded) to get in. With the lock barrel out all you need is a screwdriver - it opens even if 'locked' on the inside.

The barrel is just an inch long and the same as fitted to the lockers - not good enough.

I am in the process of fitting a deadlock below the existing. I was going to reinforce the door anyway but was surprised at how flimsy the door was. Aluminium sheet on the outside of course but laminate covered ply no thicker than 3mm on the inside and 25mm of polystyrene between.

Before I decided to fit a deadlock I considered just replacing the old barrel until I looked on YouTube to see a demonstration of how to remove the barrel using just a steak knife.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Undoubtedly the hab door is the weakest point. But if you reinforce that with multiple locks then the bad guys will just get in via your windows.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Undoubtedly the hab door is the weakest point. But if you reinforce that with multiple locks then the bad guys will just get in via your windows.

Agreed - I just didn't see any point in fixing a lock that had already proved useless :giggle:

In fact I just glued the old one back into the lock:giggle:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I went to unlock my hab door on my Mobilvetta to find the barrel of the lock loose - it just came out with the key.

Someone had tried (and probably succeeded) to get in. With the lock barrel out all you need is a screwdriver - it opens even if 'locked' on the inside.

The barrel is just an inch long and the same as fitted to the lockers - not good enough.

I am in the process of fitting a deadlock below the existing. I was going to reinforce the door anyway but was surprised at how flimsy the door was. Aluminium sheet on the outside of course but laminate covered ply no thicker than 3mm on the inside and 25mm of polystyrene between.

Before I decided to fit a deadlock I considered just replacing the old barrel until I looked on YouTube to see a demonstration of how to remove the barrel using just a steak knife.
Pretty secure seeing as I have a dead bolt on the inside of it. The only access when I’m not in it is through the cab doors. Same through the night when we are in it.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Mines a sliding tin one so not a problem as long as I slam it hard enough.
Usually at least every 5 minutes from 23:39 until 01:30, every hour then until 07:00, then at random (but not less than 5 times per hour) the rest of the day, when parked next to me. :think: :madder:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Vanbitz Growler.

Expect to get complaints for felow campers and civil suit against VanBitz by the perpetrator's for hearing damage caused by the Growler.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Milenco Inside/Outside door lock, about 7 foot off the ground!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Trouble is if you fit an external Milenco door lock, then the thieves can reasonably assume you are not in the van during the day.
If you fit internal deadlock or anything inside the van that is not apparent from outside then they will cause a lot of damage to the hab door before they give up trying to enter.
My preferred option would be a visible external deadlock, but with my style of Hartel door door, finding one that I can fit is proving very difficult, as I dont have the removable cut out plate that allows them to be fitted.

I have a Strikeback Growler alarm, with all the flashing Blue LEDs, and all the external locker/garage doors covered, but I wouldn't want to be in the van if it went off, even with the internal sirens disabled.:eek:

If you have upgraded the cab door security with Hoesafe internal deadlocks & Proplates to protect the Fiat door locks as visible deterrents, then the only way to exit the van is via the hab door which will always be the weakest link, other than the windows of course.

I also have a steering wheel lock, clutch claw, & last but not least a Patriot Padlock to lock the drivers seat in the rear facing position.

My Dilemma:
I now feel safer in not having the van stolen, but not safe against the opportunistic break in, causing much damage to hab door:eek:

How far do you go?, Internal/External CCTV maybe, or leave the MIL or Rottweiler in the van ?, but then there is the residual smell/ambiance issue.:giggle:

LES

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

I modified this lock to fit - fitted just below the original lock - discreet but visible - can't tell of van is occupied or not

Agree that if someone wants to break in they will but could not believe how flimsy the original lock was

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

This reminds me of a friend who ordered a Fiat GTV, I asked him was he sure..its a Fiat and whilst brilliant to drive can be problematic. He insisted he was doing the right thing. The GTV arrived and after a few hundred yards down the road decided there was a problem with the engine he took it back to the dealer who said the engine was damaged and ordered a new vehicle for him......This is the bit that your post reminded me of his car. A few months after he had taken delivery of his car he called me to announce that as he went to unlock the boot the barrel of lock came out and was on the end of his key.

Hope you get your deadlock sorted.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Trouble is if you fit an external Milenco door lock, then the thieves can reasonably assume you are not in the van during the day.
If you fit internal deadlock or anything inside the van that is not apparent from outside then they will cause a lot of damage to the hab door before they give up trying to enter.
My preferred option would be a visible external deadlock, but with my style of Hartel door door, finding one that I can fit is proving very difficult, as I dont have the removable cut out plate that allows them to be fitted.

I have a Strikeback Growler alarm, with all the flashing Blue LEDs, and all the external locker/garage doors covered, but I wouldn't want to be in the van if it went off, even with the internal sirens disabled.:eek:

If you have upgraded the cab door security with Hoesafe inte

How far do you go?, Internal/External CCTV maybe, or leave the MIL or Rottweiler in the van ?, but then there is the residual smell/ambiance issue.:giggle:

LES

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
When I'm in the van I use elephants to secure the Hab door:
20210603_083423.png
20210603_083503.png

Took about an hour to make, but once they are on, you'd need the drug squad to get in.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
My lock comes out with the key but it's got one of those swivel locks that covers it

I doubt we'll do much off grid camping but if we did my plan was to lock the hab door from the outside then enter through the cab doors

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
If you have a Hartal door with catches top and bottom, if you look at either catch on the inside when closed there is a hole in the catch that is clearly visible, drop an allen key or bent tent peg in the hole and it prevents the catch from releasing. Quite effective and cheap solution but not visible from the outside

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
“Trouble is if you fit an external Milenco door lock, then the thieves can reasonably assume you are not in the van during the day.”

The Milenco lock I have is one that you can close from inside as well as outside. Sometimes in the morning, I try to open the hab door but it stops ME getting out!

I did hear/feel an undesirable trying it one night in Calais a few years ago.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

I modified this lock to fit - fitted just below the original lock - discreet but visible - can't tell of van is occupied or not

Agree that if someone wants to break in they will but could not believe how flimsy the original lock was

Could you show a photo of the outside of your hab door with this fitted please ?

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Could you show a photo of the outside of your hab door with this fitted please ?
Will post pics of outside and inside by Tues latest - have to go to van to finish off fitting then (y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Pro plate has just arrived from supplier after £8.25 special next day delivery, although sent same day, it has arrived 8/9 days later, courier said "they tried to deliver next day, no answer, so left card" but no card left & we were in all day that day, and the whole BH weekend after!:mad:
I only got the drivers door one, as passenger door does not have a key lock, I will fit it when not raining, I wont be surprised to find that Fiat have fitted the internal steel plate to stop the screwdriver forced entry method, but at least they will see from the outside that I have taken measures to stop them.
I still have the Milenco "Frame Fit" external lock for the hab door, which is a simpler method of securing the hab door, but as I said earlier, if I fit it, then its a clear sign we are not in the van, as it can only be locked/unlocked from outside after the hab door is closed. Not so sure its a good idea now.:unsure:
LES

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Not an easy fix as the lock is designed for timber doors. Had to thicken and strengthen the door with 12mm ply. No lock is 100% secure but I really had no choice as the original had already been bypassed

Attachments

• 20210608_095728.jpg
    20210608_095728.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210608_141954.jpg
    20210608_141954.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210608_100122.jpg
    20210608_100122.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

Attachments

• 20210608_095630.jpg
    20210608_095630.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 44
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Missed the pic without the key......

I'm a little confused. One picture shows the bolts when closed behind what I take is the doorframe, yet another picture shows two recesses in the door frame which look like they are made for the bolts to go into ?

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I'm a little confused. One picture shows the bolts when closed behind what I take is the doorframe, yet another picture shows two recesses in the door frame which look like they are made for the bolts to go into ?

The bolts do go into the recesses that I cut into the frame. The other pic shows the lock with the door wide open against the side of the van - confused me when I looked at the photos! :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back