LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Lockdown easing for millions across central Scotland halted as COVID cases rise​

UK reports zero daily COVID-related deaths for first time since pandemic began​

Saddened by one pleased with the other

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Lockdown easing for millions across central Scotland halted as COVID cases rise​

UK reports zero daily COVID-related deaths for first time since pandemic began​

Saddened by one pleased with the other
Don’t be too saddened by the rise in cases. It’s only a problem if they end up hospitalised or worse dead. The rise in cases isn’t at the moment translating into hospitalisation.
I do think this is the future and for me it’ll do. I don’t care how many test positive if they’re not ill.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Regrettably it seems that MSM are trying to back Boris into a corner of delaying the lifting of restrictions. Scientists being interviewed and saying that lifting restrictions might lead to an increase in hospitalisation and/or deaths.

Even the optimistic ones are pushed, by interviewers, to “guarantee” that no increased spread will occur. Naturally, they are unable/unwilling to be pinned down so precisely.

Often a voice over follows, reminding people that “Boris acted too late last time”.

MSM love bad news more than good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Regrettably it seems that MSM are trying to back Boris into a corner of delaying the lifting of restrictions. Scientists being interviewed and saying that lifting restrictions might lead to an increase in hospitalisation and/or deaths.

Even the optimistic ones are pushed, by interviewers, to “guarantee” that no increased spread will occur. Naturally, they are unable/unwilling to be pinned down so precisely.

Often a voice over follows, reminding people that “Boris acted too late last time”.

MSM love bad news more than good.
That’s where the problem will lie re reducing restrictions. It’s not just the press, they are the worst though. There are a few on this very forum that will be advocating the same.
No recorded deaths, fewer in hospital a slight rise in people testing positive .
Which of those last three do you think the press and other bad news fans will pick up on?

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Just had today my 2nd Jab seemed busier than first time, no military support NHS staff and the volunteers keeping it going, some very young and some older everyone of the younger team were upbeat friendly and with smiley eyes, I watched then put the older at ease and get on with a long day lets hope it is the beginning of if not the end but the better (y)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
He did, not even his mates are going to back him on that one.

He acted 3 weeks too late at the start, and then he acted 3 weeks late the second time and only started to take it seriously when he went down with it himself.

Someone in the future can come up with a rough figure, but as PM Boris has been directly responsible for the avoidable deaths of more British citizens probably since Churchill.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

He acted 3 weeks too late at the start, and then he acted 3 weeks late the second time and only started to take it seriously when he went down with it himself.

Someone in the future can come up with a rough figure, but as PM Boris has been directly responsible for the avoidable deaths of more British citizens probably since Churchill.
Harsh....... i wonder if anyone would have got it perfect .... i doubt it very much, so then what level of deaths would have been acceptable and at what cost, because the two cannot be separated, no one will come out of this smelling of roses but i wonder who will shoulder most of the blame .....

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Harsh....... i wonder if anyone would have got it perfect .... i doubt it very much, so then what level of deaths would have been acceptable and at what cost, because the two cannot be separated, no one will come out of this smelling of roses but i wonder who will shoulder most of the blame .....
Sir Patrick Vallance said quite early on that keeping the death count below 20,000 would be a good outcome; if only ...

Steve

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just had today my 2nd Jab seemed busier than first time, no military support NHS staff and the volunteers keeping it going, some very young and some older everyone of the younger team were upbeat friendly and with smiley eyes, I watched then put the older at ease and get on with a long day lets hope it is the beginning of if not the end but the better (y)
Daughter went today for her second too. The AZ. I hope both of you don’t have too bad a side effect.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Don’t be too saddened by the rise in cases. It’s only a problem if they end up hospitalised or worse dead. The rise in cases isn’t at the moment translating into hospitalisation.
I do think this is the future and for me it’ll do. I don’t care how many test positive if they’re not ill.
The cases are actually positive test results, and as we are constantly being told, " 2 out of 3 people who have covid, do not know it and have no symptoms"

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

I think that most thinking people accept that the lockdown was late, with hindsight.

I don’t know about you but I would not like to have been the one to make the decision, especially with all the competing voices insisting that they had the correct answer.

In my career I sometimes had to make instant decisions that had life or death implications. It is not easy! Especially when people who, eventually, have information that you didn’t have at the time, decide to second guess your decision. They are criticising knowing that, since their proposed action was never implemented, no-one can criticise them.

There is a well known saying..... any fool can criticise, and many of them do.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Obviously Brains would have coped better. He does keep telling everyone that will listen how Boris got it wrong. Perhaps he should stand as PM next time.
I did post earlier that the bad news crowd would only see the bad things. Here’s proof of that.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
AS usual, the armchair experts with 20-20 hindsight are now pontificating and critisissing, but where were they with all this knowledge when those early and very difficult decisions had to be made!!
I would not want any of those jobs

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
AS usual, the armchair experts with 20-20 hindsight are now pontificating and critisissing, but where were they with all this knowledge when those early and very difficult decisions had to be made!!
I would not want any of those jobs
Me neither. But I still have the email I sent to my son’s DHT February 2020 asking if school were really going to accept a child back who was returning from worst affected area of Austria/Italy border after a week skiing with his family. The response was that, unless the government acted, schools could not do anything. Too little too late. And that was NOT hindsight - it was forethought.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Test!
The regulator responsible for approving coronavirus tests for use in the UK, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), has expressed concern to government that people may be falsely reassured if they test negative on an LFT.
The MHRA has authorised LFTs to be used as a “red light” test – to find infectious people and order them to self-isolate – but not as a “green light” test
Believe what you may

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think that most thinking people accept that the lockdown was late, with hindsight.

I don’t know about you but I would not like to have been the one to make the decision, especially with all the competing voices insisting that they had the correct answer.

In my career I sometimes had to make instant decisions that had life or death implications. It is not easy! Especially when people who, eventually, have information that you didn’t have at the time, decide to second guess your decision. They are criticising knowing that, since their proposed action was never implemented, no-one can criticise them.

9 O Clock assassins we referred to them as. Do a job on nights with instant decisions and many of them to be made in a split second and in the morning over a cup of coffee, discuss it with some mates and pint out one of the 47 pieces of paperwork were missing

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

The UK lockdown was late,

It was not hindsight, as others did a far better job, New Zealand being a text book case, but there were many others including Taiwan, S.Korea, HK, Singapore, Iceland, and many more.

The large London based global company I worked for instigated a global 'work from home' in the 3 weeks before the UK lockdown, meaning the London office was empty nearly a week before the official date.

Lockdown in the UK could and should have taken place weeks before it did.

I totally agree it could have been a 'cry wolf' situation, for which the government would have been blamed, but that is true with any major decision where you only have half the facts at the time.

As was said above, no one is going to come out of this smelling of roses, but their were some dreadful decisions made for the wrong reason, with the information available at the time.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The UK lockdown was late,

It was not hindsight, as others did a far better job, New Zealand being a text book case, but there were many others including Taiwan, S.Korea, HK, Singapore, Iceland, and many more.

The large London based global company I worked for instigated a global 'work from home' in the 3 weeks before the UK lockdown, meaning the London office was empty nearly a week before the official date.

Lockdown in the UK could and should have taken place weeks before it did.

I totally agree it could have been a 'cry wolf' situation, for which the government would have been blamed, but that is true with any major decision where you only have half the facts at the time.

As was said above, no one is going to come out of this smelling of roses, but their were some dreadful decisions made for the wrong reason, with the information available at the time.
What UK lockdown? Each nation has done their own thing. In Scotland, one person went from being the health minister to being the first minister over a period of 13 years and has not accepted the blame for being so ill prepared. To be fair that person did say that the country would have gone along with the rUK's vaccine purchase scheme despite many of their and the rest of the opposition MP's suggesting we stick with the EU's more 'egalitarian' plan. The outcomes for the 4 nations are not that dissimilar given population sizes, distribution and other disparities.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It’s got quite simple for me now, we have just got to get on with life but with largely sealed borders for a few months. Personally I’ve not got any plans for continental travel until Jan 2022 because of this.

We were told and it’s pretty clear from the data, that serious illness and death from C19 is with the over 50’s. So we have vaccinated all the ‘at risk’ 1-9 Cohorts (if you’re in this and haven’t had two jabs by now, then get your arse in gear).

Each tracked mutation we have encountered to date, the vaccine is effective against, we are vaccinating across the whole UK at a minimum, adults in their late 20’s and in many part of the UK much younger.

We have been cautious and rightly so, but with largely sealed borders let’s just get on with life now. We can’t eradicate this virus, so we will have to live with it long term, so let’s do that, live with it and get on!

Anyone worried about the flu season this coming winter 2021-22? My concern with no flu circulating for over a year, we had better do a good job of vaccinating against the flu strains that do end up in the UK, else Influenza 2021-22, IMHO, could be a bigger killer than C19 this winter.

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Daughter went today for her second too. The AZ. I hope both of you don’t have too bad a side effect.
Thanks Annie slept well last nigh and so far so good, arm has a little ache but other than than that seems OK but about to start work so I am sure a headache is imminent :unsure:

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't
boris GIF

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very easy to

Very easy to be wise after the event.He can't win.If he had locked down long and hard he would have been accused of leading a Police State..Being too leniant he is accused of being soft.Not a job I would want.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It’s got quite simple for me now, we have just got to get on with life but with largely sealed borders for a few months. Personally I’ve not got any plans for continental travel until Jan 2022 because of this.

We were told and it’s pretty clear from the data, that serious illness and death from C19 is with the over 50’s. So we have vaccinated all the ‘at risk’ 1-9 Cohorts (if you’re in this and haven’t had two jabs by now, then get your arse in gear).

Each tracked mutation we have encountered to date, the vaccine is effective against, we are vaccinating across the whole UK at a minimum, adults in their late 20’s and in many part of the UK much younger.

We have been cautious and rightly so, but with largely sealed borders let’s just get on with life now. We can’t eradicate this virus, so we will have to live with it long term, so let’s do that, live with it and get on!

Anyone worried about the flu season this coming winter 2021-22? My concern with no flu circulating for over a year, we had better do a good job of vaccinating against the flu strains that do end up in the UK, else Influenza 2021-22, IMHO, could be a bigger killer than C19 this winter.
I think SD has kept flu and colds at bay..I won't be touching and kissing like we used to do..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back