Not strictly speaking a motorhome question but it could well be relevant to some of us (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I pretty much think this is how it will be, we are well into 6 months now so must have been loads like him, has anyone heard of anyone being fined, I haven't.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I pretty much think this is how it will be, we are well into 6 months now so must have been loads like him, has anyone heard of anyone being fined, I haven't.
It really depends on whether the Spanish were trying to get people out of the country when they 'purged' however which was likely more important than issuing fines (although I believe the Spanish do like fining people!), I think when people start wanting to go back again it could then that it bites them in the bum and wallet, assuming they're allowed in at all ... only time will tell.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It really depends on whether the Spanish were trying to get people out of the country when they 'purged' however which was likely more important than issuing fines (although I believe the Spanish do like fining people!), I think when people start wanting to go back again it could then that it bites them in the bum and wallet, assuming they're allowed in at all ... only time will tell.
But if they never stamped his passport, who is going to bother?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
only time will tell

bearing in mind this was a Spanish airport passport official, now when it comes to a french/german one who knows, it could well be a completely scenario.

Spain is laid back until its something that they don't like and then up comes the middle finger, France & Germany may well see it as a red rag to a bull and banish us all that stay longer than 90days to middle earth never to be seen again :giggle: .

I will post back any info when he returns to Spain later on in the year if he lets me know, he has promised to, so lets wait and see.

Al

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It will still be in the 'system' so if a country's border control want to check they can and then do as they please.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I think the calculations for loss of income for the Spanish businesses is rather simplistic. Yes visitors and motorhomers will leave after 90 days but more will come. Visitors of all forms come and go all the time so I think the losses (if any) will be negligible and certainly not enough to,worry the authorities.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I am not in the least bit interested in learning how much money Funsters or their friends spend in a week.

I am a teeny weeny bit interested in wondering why they feel the need to publish this info on the internet though.

I am far more interested in finding out if they are nice, warm hearted and generous people who are happy to share their good luck with folk who are less fortunate...

JJ :cool:

PS. I do enjoy reading a thread where folk start throwing their toys out of their pram just to see how close they can get to falling foul of Rule 1.
I couldn’t agree more! Some of the wealth boasting on here is embarrassing to say the least.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I think we put too much self importance on what we British put into the economy of Spain, I think the french, Germans, Dutch and other Europeans will happily fill the void that the British leave ….. 😊
Don’t forget the Ruskies!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When i returned from France in march it wasn't the french who stamped my passport it was the Brits. Id have thought it would be stamped on arrival back in the uk .

That said i do think its an arrogant attitude brits have thinking they are somehow exempt from these things.

Im personally gutted by the 90 day rule but i will obey it and explore places not included within it to extend my trips.
But its hypocritical to want illegal immigrants in uk that are often escaping attrocities or trying to escape poverty etc dealt with harshly while sympathising with brits doing it elsewhere just for a holiday 🤷🏻‍♂️

Its also weird how people coming to the uk are called immigrants but brits going elsewhere call themselves expats 🤔

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Ruby optics I think Alnval are on the money here. The 90 days bullshit has been imposed on us by Brexit. There are LOTS of people out in Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, wherever, that are totally pissed off that they have had to curtail their fun in the sun because a load of extremely ill informed and lied to, people in the UK decided that “immigrants aren’t welcome”, voted for Brexit, and now realise that the powers the consequences are more draconian than they envisaged. I bet LOTS of them are now pissed off that they can’t go and live in Southern Europe for 6 months a year to avoid our awful weather because they didn’t realise they were voting for it!!! I advocate listening to what Alnval’s mate encounters as he progresses through this situation and then voice your opinion.
Cheers! Russ

Jim, I’ve had my say, I won’t reply to this post so you don’t need to bother about barring me buddy!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

Well into 6 months from what?

Gordon

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Im guessing 6 months from brexit .

But only 3 months past the last possible date from 90 day limit starting 31st march

Brexit Day = 31st Dec 2020 2300 GMT

31st Jan 2021 = 1 month
28th Feb 2021 = 2 month
31st Mar 2021 = 3 month
30th April 2021 = 4 month
31st May 2021 = 5 month (and we haven't got there yet!)

Gordon

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Brexit Day = 31st Dec 2020 2300 GMT

31st Jan 2021 = 1 month
28th Feb 2021 = 2 month
31st Mar 2021 = 3 month
30th April 2021 = 4 month
31st May 2021 = 5 month (and we haven't got there yet!)

Gordon
I know ...i was just attempting to explain chaser 6 month statement.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Stamp is insignificant - was his passport scanned?
The data will be there, if they want to use it.

just returning to this

Will says he did not see the official scan his passport, he looked at the photo, folded it closed again and passed it back to him

Could this be the Spanish authorities way of saying that they aren’t bothered about banning people returning back into their country and middle finger to the Brussels Bureaucrats 😂

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Could this be the Spanish authorities way of saying that they aren’t bothered about banning people returning back into their country and middle finger to the Brussels Bureaucrats 😂
Unlikely.
It's almost universal procedure these days to scan passports at borders, or swipe them through a code reader.
Unless the border official knew your friend had overstayed, there'd be nothing to make him alter standard process.
But, hey, anything is possible.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Unlikely.
It's almost universal procedure these days to scan passports at borders, or swipe them through a code reader.
Unless the border official knew your friend had overstayed, there'd be nothing to make him alter standard process.
But, hey, anything is possible.
but could be likely as well 😉

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Ruby optics I think Alnval are on the money here. The 90 days bullshit has been imposed on us by Brexit. There are LOTS of people out in Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, wherever, that are totally pissed off that they have had to curtail their fun in the sun because a load of extremely ill informed and lied to, people in the UK decided that “immigrants aren’t welcome”, voted for Brexit, and now realise that the powers the consequences are more draconian than they envisaged. I bet LOTS of them are now pissed off that they can’t go and live in Southern Europe for 6 months a year to avoid our awful weather because they didn’t realise they were voting for it!!! I advocate listening to what Alnval’s mate encounters as he progresses through this situation and then voice your opinion.
Cheers! Russ

Jim, I’ve had my say, I won’t reply to this post so you don’t need to bother about barring me buddy!
I'm genuinely confused as to the point that you are trying to make and also why you are directing it at me?? I bear no ill-will towards Al n Val , their friend, nor anyone else?
I'm well aware of the consequences of Brexit. I'm British but emigrated to Poland over 7 years ago. The difference is that when I did so I followed the rules for doing so, registered my stay and got my Polish equivalent of an NI number. I'm not retired (sadly!) and so I also pay my taxes in Poland to my Polish registered business. As a Polish resident I can travel freely within the EU just as I used to and so the consequences of Brexit in regards to travel don't apply to me so I'm again confused as to why I need to heed what happened to someone in completely different circumstances to myself?
The facts of the matter, when you actually take all of your anger out of the equation, are really very simple. Prior to Brexit, you were still required to register your stay if you were planning to stay over 90 days. Thousands either didn't bother or didn't for tax purposes. Brexit then happened and even after giving people a whole YEAR to register their stay, people still didn't bother and now express surprise that they can no longer live in that country.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I'll also finish by saying this. Al n Val I looked through this entire thread to try and understand the above post directed at myself. In doing so, I believe that, even though I do disagree with the actions your friend took and the comments made, I expressed my feelings in a rather non-productive and possibly offensive way. Please allow me to apologise to both of you for any offence caused.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
but could be likely as well 😉
In all honesty id ask your friend to show you his passport. Id be surprised if it wasnt stamped as its now common practice since January 1st .
But i would bet my life it was scanned.

No disrespect but he sounds a bit of a blowhard to be honest .....and im a doubting thomas.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
In all honesty id ask your friend to show you his passport. Id be surprised if it wasnt stamped as its now common practice since January 1st .

No disrespect but he sounds a bit of a blowhard to be honest .....and im a doubting thomas.
When we arrived back in the UK in February our passports were not stamped which is a pain as you have to remember to write in the date so you can work out the 90 in 180.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just a side point on this story around residence in Spain post Brexit for Uk nationals..
I have two people known to me. Cannot call them close friends just a couple we met whilst in Spain and generally keep in contact. He 70 years old UK national retired with state and private pension. Owns a small house in Spain lived there for 7 years.
She 60 years old UK national, no pension fully supported by him. Met 2 1/2 years ago in Spain, she stayed in Spain then moved in with him. No employment no income.
Both applied in December for residence. He gets residence She is refused. She is still in Spain refusing to leave. Spanish authorities not doing a thing to force to leave. She now with local support groups fighting decision. From what I understand local mayors are trying to support UK nationals in these positions.
So its clearly a mess over there.

My wife applied in UK for her leave to remain with Maltese passport. Authorised in 14 days (I'm appealing) so its a mish mash.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

So your asking me to call out my mate who i’ve known for 50+ years because you think he’s not telling the truth 🤔

Yeah and pigs will fly

He doesn’t even know these posts are being posted so why would he lie to me??

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So your asking me to call out my mate who i’ve known for 50+ years because you think he’s not telling the truth 🤔

Yeah and pigs will fly

He doesn’t even know these posts are being posted so why would he lie to me??
Bravado 🤷🏻‍♂️ its what people do. And im not asking you to call out anyone as i dont care either way to be honest.

I just said i think he's lying .... Its my opinion ...everyones entitled to one.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Bravado 🤷🏻‍♂️ its what people do. And im not asking you to call out anyone as i dont care either way to be honest.

I just said i think he's lying .... Its my opinion ...everyones entitled to one.
yeah so am I 👎

and if your not bothered either way why ask in the first place 🤔

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back