LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I be at the Thetford Bash this weekend if you want to have a go, and I'll even raise the van up a little higher on the levelling jacks to make it easier for you to get under. :giggle:
Ooh, new game. Could me more satisfying than the 'ped racing ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Bugger I'm at Quakers this weekend a d I'm not falling
I be at the Thetford Bash this weekend if you want to have a go, and I'll even raise the van up a little higher on the levelling jacks to make it easier for you to get under. :giggle:
Bugger I'm at Quakers this weekend and I'm not falling for the old double bluff trick trying to make out the key is underneath I bet its taped to the roof

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Bugger I'm at Quakers this weekend a d I'm not falling

Bugger I'm at Quakers this weekend and I'm not falling for the old double bluff trick trying to make out the key is underneath I bet its taped to the roof
Sod it, I thought I had fooled you on that one.
I was going to p*ss myself laughing watching you scrabbling around under our van. :ROFLMAO:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
So how are you going to set the combination to get into it for your keys if it's out of sight. :ROFLMAO:

Not giving anymore information away. ;) It will also be removed when the vehicle goes in for servicing etc.(y)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
As an aside, (talking about locking yourself in or out) immediately after my brother-in-law's funeral service his boss, wife and sons got into their Range Rover and the driver pressed the start button. All was well. Unfortunately before they left for the crematorium the wife changed her mind and went home with another family member instead. Unbeknown to the boss and sons she had the key card in her handbag. When they got to the crematorium they realised they couldn't stop the engine as they wouldn't be able to start it again. One son had to sit in the vehicle right through the service with the engine running.

Keyless isn't always progress. :unsure:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Being the technical numbnutz that I am
How would it be possible to lock myself out of a PVC?
I can't think of a scenario

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Loose your keys while away from your locked van springs to mind.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you get out, shut door and the dog treads on the remote locking the doors. stranger things do happen

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
you get out, shut door and the dog treads on the remote locking the doors. stranger things do happen
It's possible... but I think it's more likely I'll take the van to France [and that's not happening]

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Lose, although frighteningly valid, is different to locking myself out with the keys still inside.
Thank you for correcting me not using the verb "lose" instead of "loose" I thought one of the Funsters rules was not correcting other Funsters ?

Try being a bit more specific with you question next time.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you for correcting me not using the verb "lose" instead of "loose" I thought one of the Funsters rules was not correcting other Funsters ?

Try being a bit more specific with you question next time.
Chill man
Wasn't correcting you, just writing my reply.
Sheesh

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
True of most Fords. I've been sat in a Fiesta wondering why the driver's seat felt oddly positioned only to then spot mine parked about four spaces away.
I came out of the village shop a few years ago and got in my Transit, some bugger had nicked my phone off the passenger seat and left 5l of screen wash in its place, it took a moment to realise I wasn't in my van. On this occasion the owner of the other van had left the door unlocked, I thought my fob had opened it.šŸ˜‚

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Why bother, when they are so easy to break into? :Eeek:

I have to agree. I broke into mine with a butter knife and a ten year old accomplice. Wearing only a towel. Iā€™m the least ā€˜handyā€™ person I know, and my dignity wasnā€™t even threatened! Iā€™m still not sure whether Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not really in any danger of locking myself out of the thing, or extremely worried that the security is so flimsy, and whether I should be more worried about that when Iā€™m in it, or out.

I didnā€˜t know it was possible to lock yourself out of mine until that day, either. And I had a spare hab key secreted in outside locker (locked) and a spare van keys hidden in the garage (also locked) In case my keys were lost or stolen. I couldnā€™t even phone the flippinā€™ AA to rescue me, as I didnā€™t have my phone. I mean, how many failsafes can you bypass?! šŸ¤£ I even had third keys cut so that I could keep one in the uk with a friend to be couriered out in a dire emergency, and could produce the two originals for the insurance company if desired. And I still got locked out!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We cannot lock ourselves out (N&B Arto), but as a precaution to losing a set while out I carry a full set and Basia has a hab key in her purse which then gives us access to a full spare set hidden inside.

Geoff

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
its not only locking your keys inside... its losing them when you are out and about.
We did exactly that, in Belgium, eight years ago.

We took our dog for a long walk and, on returning to the motorhome, found we (I) had dropped the keys somewhere. Our spares were locked inside the motorhome.

We couldnā€™t get in so rang our breakdown service who arranged for the Belgian version of the AA to attend. He got us in, without damage, in less than two minutes which taught us more about security than it did regarding key safeguarding. :cool:

Incidentally, we reported the loss of our keys to the Police via the campsite owner. She came to see us about two hours later to tell us that the keys had been handed in to the local Police Station which was on her way home, so she collected them for us.

Good service all round, and lesson learned.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
None of this hiding a key under the van nonesense here's a simple solution. And before anyone says yes I know I have hairy arms.
PXL_20210526_074816433.jpg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
YES, had that happen to a mates Jag. It took 40 mins of calling the dog from one side of the vehicle to the other until the mut stood on centre console button again to open the dam thing up.

AnnieB

Free Member
Jan 6, 2021
Grt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Air
Exp
8+ years
Not the van but many years ago I had a VW Polo that you could lock by pressing down the door lock and slamming the door. On a shopping trip to Bolton and parked in a multi-storey I looked the door and in a split second realised my keys were in the ignition.
Had no idea what to do do I went to the Police Station and a lovely young PC with a box full of spare keys drove me back to my car and tried every one.

None fitted so he drove me to a car dealers who thrn drove me back and opened the door with a strip of wire, flicking the button catch until it released the lock.

They donā€™t breed coppers like they used to. ;) Then again, maybe the fact that I was in my 20s was the reason for the excellent service.:LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Mother in law took all the grandkids from 5 to 11 years old out for the evening to a lighting up of the illuminations in central Bournemouth. About 10:30 I got a phone call, she had locked the keys in the car. The kids were getting tired and bored, please can I drive to her bungalow, collect the spare keys and rescue them. I arrived, took 5 seconds to examine the car, then lifted the smallest grandchild through the open sun roof to open the car. I was a hero for 5 minutes and granny looked very silly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back