Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (1 Viewer)

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
I would let it sit until you are sure someone else will work on it. I imagine there are limited garages in your area who take on this type of work. A little patience required. Agree its hard to get others to move at our pace. Only advice as it is your bus.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It is a little ...i dont understand these folk to be honest.
Neither do I?
I don't understand the commercial advantage of promising something they have no intention of delivering.
You're only going to p*so off your customer, kill any future business.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I would let it sit until you are sure someone else will work on it. I imagine there are limited garages in your area who take on this type of work. A little patience required. Agree its hard to get others to move at our pace. Only advice as it is your bus.
I agree. Hold your nerve. I bet they'll get on with it if they think they'll lose the business.

Like many businesses, order book is king

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Are they the sort of garage with loads of cars parked outside.... I've found those type are either really slow or incompetent and those are the cars they cannot fix!!!

Cheers James

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Typically when i went to collect it yesterday afternoon they had started doing stuff yesterday morning which left me in a shitty situation. Because i had told a fib to try and urge them on that the blacksmith was ready for it now i had to think fast ....so its still there at present and i told them id try and delay the blacksmith for a few days ....ill go back down on Monday and see how its going.

Im now heading up to the blacksmiths to see if he can give me an idea when he will be ready for it for real. I hoped to be further on with it by this stage but considering the weather we are now having its probably best where it is anyway as at least it is inside now .

Im bleeding bored though i must say

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Typically when i went to collect it yesterday afternoon they had started doing stuff yesterday morning which left me in a shitty situation. Because i had told a fib to try and urge them on that the blacksmith was ready for it now i had to think fast ....so its still there at present and i told them id try and delay the blacksmith for a few days ....ill go back down on Monday and see how its going.

Im now heading up to the blacksmiths to see if he can give me an idea when he will be ready for it for real. I hoped to be further on with it by this stage but considering the weather we are now having its probably best where it is anyway as at least it is inside now .

Im bleeding bored though i must say
Sounds like the threat to take it away worked and they are now going to get on with it. Like you say it's probably best that it's inside whilst the weather is crap. Hopefully the weather will improve by the time you're back working on it outside.
Keep us posted (y).

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Went up to see the blacksmith and he says he was going to be phoning me over the weekend to take it up to him next week...so i wasnt far off with my white lie anyway it seems. But he did say he could delay it till next weekend if it gave the place that has it just now time to finish what they were doing .....good plan i thought so i phoned the current lot and told them we had 2 options ...i could collect it monday for the blacksmith or they could get as much done in the next week as possible and id give the blacksmith it next weekend.

All i got was excuses about other jobs they had to do etc etc and that it was unlikely theyd get much more done to it so im just going to collect it on Monday take it to the blacksmith and he will do his stuff to it while i try and arrange someone else to sort the panels out.

The way they are going they could have it for weeks on end while skipping between other vehicles and its just not practical.

One of the other places id spoke to are more set up for this kind of work and they had said to give them a call back next week so im hoping i might be able to get them.

At least at the minute they have done the 2 bits required to allow the blacksmith to do what he needs to do without blocking access .

Ive not told them im not taking it back to them just incase im left with no choice ....but what a complicated situation to get the body done.

Im hoping once all this stage is done the rest will be a bit more plain sailing.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Keep going Tam the journey is as important as the destination! Best to keep your options open when it comes to shoddy garages!

Cheers James

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Broken promises are par for the course when dealing with many firms these days , and many are involved with MoHo self building :(

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Some businesses just have a lot of pressures I suppose

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Some businesses just have a lot of pressures I suppose
In this case the owner just takes in far too much work at one time and he hasnt the staff to cope with it ...most of the motors that were on his premises when i first went down there nearly 3 weeks ago are still there ...all in various states of repair...but theres also more arrived. Had they told me at first that they would be doing a bit here and there i wouldn't have agreed to it. But he was keen for me to leave it with him.

Unlike the blacksmith who only gets the vehicle there when he's about to start the work as he doesn't have the space to have vehicles lying around.

I guess its the same principle as motorhomes ....the more space you have the more crap you collect 😁

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
In this case the owner just takes in far too much work at one time
yup, like lots of trades, dont turn it down for fear of it drying up, so they juggle it round a bit for you today a bit for someone else tomorrow.
Doesnt pay long term for customer retention but some dont see it tht way esp if they have the market share and no one else can do it.
Usually then, its he who shouts loudest gets it first.
Everyone hates poor customer service

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Very good day today ....having rejoined Facebook a few weeks back purely to join a few vario owners groups etc i discovered the group leader of the biggest uk one actually lives in Glenrothes about 15 miles away ....as hes had a few varios and also broken a few i discovered he had a stash of spare parts and he had invited me up today for a bit of a rummage .

Long story short i managed to get a proper vario double cab seat , the plastic inner step , seatbelt , cab rubber floormat and a few metal panels i needed ......

I spent about 3 hours chatting with the guy who was really knoweledgeable on the vans and had a good laugh .....

He also has a wiper motor which ill go back for at somepoint and a few tyres on wheels .

So a great day .......my wee car is still full of all the parts as its chucking it down here ...... Not the best size of parts hauler i may need to change cars lol

Got to collect van and take it too blacksmith tomorrow

Ill put pics of the new parts up tomorrow when i unload them .

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thanks for the update Tam. Takes me back, Jesus over forty years, finding people who have bits you need, oddball bits even, my first van build was a transit with sliding front doors. Just like you I dropped dead lucky on a bloke with a few in a barn. He then let us do some of the work through the winter in his barn.
Great thread, keep it coming.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Very good day today ....having rejoined Facebook a few weeks back purely to join a few vario owners groups etc i discovered the group leader of the biggest uk one actually lives in Glenrothes about 15 miles away ....as hes had a few varios and also broken a few i discovered he had a stash of spare parts and he had invited me up today for a bit of a rummage .

Long story short i managed to get a proper vario double cab seat , the plastic inner step , seatbelt , cab rubber floormat and a few metal panels i needed ......

I spent about 3 hours chatting with the guy who was really knoweledgeable on the vans and had a good laugh .....

He also has a wiper motor which ill go back for at somepoint and a few tyres on wheels .

So a great day .......my wee car is still full of all the parts as its chucking it down here ...... Not the best size of parts hauler i may need to change cars lol

Got to collect van and take it too blacksmith tomorrow

Ill put pics of the new parts up tomorrow when i unload them .
I love it when a plan comes together, shame it couldn’t be finished as fast as an A team episode.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
First new metal in .... much stronger than the old inner sills. 40x40 4mm walled box section and 2mm steel plate.....and off course unseen so doesn't have to look pretty ....
20210524_111419.jpg
20210524_111425.jpg

Dropped off at blacksmith now for bike rack construction .... So some real heavy duty steel going in this area now.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In this case the owner just takes in far too much work at one time and he hasnt the staff to cope with it ...most of the motors that were on his premises when i first went down there nearly 3 weeks ago are still there ...all in various states of repair...but theres also more arrived. Had they told me at first that they would be doing a bit here and there i wouldn't have agreed to it. But he was keen for me to leave it with him.

Unlike the blacksmith who only gets the vehicle there when he's about to start the work as he doesn't have the space to have vehicles lying around.

I guess its the same principle as motorhomes ....the more space you have the more crap you collect 😁

The builder I used to renovate and extend my house into the loft was fortunately just the opposite - he said 'When I come on a new site I go to no other jobs till that one is finished, so you will have to wait till I am ready'. I was happy to wait and he stuck to his word; the only delay was that his Dad who worked for him, died in the middle of the job so I had to let him have 2 weeks respite, then he could not find another tradesman with the same skills. Excellent job, so thankfully there are still some good ones around - think he learnt the ethos from his Dad.

I am glad you got some success with the FB Vario guy. Keep at it lad.

Geoff

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The builder I used to renovate and extend my house into the loft was fortunately just the opposite - he said 'When I come on a new site I go to no other jobs till that one is finished, so you will have to wait till I am ready'. I was happy to wait and he stuck to his word; the only delay was that his Dad who worked for him, died in the middle of the job so I had to let him have 2 weeks respite, then he could not find another tradesman with the same skills. Excellent job, so thankfully there are still some good ones around - think he learnt the ethos from his Dad.

I am glad you got some success with the FB Vario guy. Keep at it lad.

Geoff
Yes thats how this blacksmith works apparently ....we will see.
Im hoping so .....very old school
Messrs bruce ... general blacksmith

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Can you/anyone educate me, in a line or two, as to what a cill/sill is or does?
I've heard about cars having rotten sills, and your bus had rusty ones, but still passed it's mot and was [sort] of driveable.
So what are their purpose?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back