Levelling (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4I
Exp
How important is it to level the van when parking up? I have so far used my chocks twice when the spirit level (my phone) indicated being out by 2 and 3 degrees front to rear, but when it is only 1 degree is it worth the effort? Plus how do you do left to right as opposed to front to rear?

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
How important is it to level the van when parking up? I have so far used my chocks twice when the spirit level (my phone) indicated being out by 2 and 3 degrees front to rear, but when it is only 1 degree is it worth the effort? Plus how do you do left to right as opposed to front to rear?
Good question (last sentence). I have decided that without levelling equipment fitted close has to be near enough.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If we need to level side to side we will put both ramps on one side so one front and one back, if we need to level front to back plus a little to side we put both ramps under either front or back. We would then place the a ramp at the wheel thats needs raised the highest and the next ramp an inch or two away from other wheel, this will raise the axle to slightly different level in the hope of levelling it.

If you only have one plug hole in the shower tray then you need to be as level as possible, thankfully we have two so less important.

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
For left and right go up the levelling ramps higher on the side required.

To do this go up 1 or 2 levels on the side that needs to be higher before you put the ramp under the other wheel and go up that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We find the easiest way is to let the tyres down but the wife takes ages to pump them up when we leave.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I am very particular about the van being level. I don’t use a spirit level or phone. It’s just a “feeling”, probably in my inner ear. If I don’t park on the level I will be guaranteed a poor night’s sleep. The blood rushes to my head, or my feet!
My husband doesn’t understand it and has no idea when the van is level so he leaves me to manoeuvre and do what he calls “the f**k about shuffle” until I am happy, or he gets the levelling chocks out of the locker and places them where I tell him to. He’s good like that! 😍

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When you have been doing it every week for years, you get a sense for when it is about right. No level? put liquid of your choice in a glass and place on floor just inside the door or on a worktop space. When level, the liquid is the same distance down the jar on all sides. When you get it right, switch off ignition leave in gear and pull handbrake on. Then drink your "level" aid to celebrate a job well done

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's something we used to care a lot about. My wife was convinced that it'd be an issue when sleeping. But after spending too much time free camping staying in a lot of spanish carparks where you can't get the ramps out, we've learnt that generally it doesn't matter. Now we only bother if there's a serious slope.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never used to bother too much, as long the wine bottle didn't fall over and head was higher than feet in the bed.
But since having air suspension and at the press of a button it gets the van dead level 90% of the time I'm a bit more fussy now.
Never bothered with a spirit level I can stand in the van an know instantly if it's level.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Getting there owner since 2021
When you have been doing it every week for years, you get a sense for when it is about right. No level? put liquid of your choice in a glass and place on floor just inside the door or on a worktop space. When level, the liquid is the same distance down the jar on all sides. When you get it right, switch off ignition leave in gear and pull handbrake on. Then drink your "level" aid to celebrate a job well done
It's difficult to get a yard of ale to stay upright on a slope right enough. :p

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As long as my darling carer‘s gin and tonic (not too much tonic) didn’t slide off the table we were fine but now we’ve got jacks it’s a simple press of a button 👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We always try to pitch so that the front is slightly down as we sleep with our feet pointing towards the front.
Yes, if we can't actually get properly level that is - head higher than feet, never the other way about - awful.

A friend insists on using his phone and we were directing him where to pitch on a campsite one time and wanted him to come forward 3 feet. He refused - so he and his wife spent the next 10 days of the rally coming out of their hab door into a puddle. He did accept afterwards that he should have listened - but his wife hasn't forgotten either - so I doubt if he'll ever hear the last!

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I cannot sleep head down, and when I last had the caravan out (pre-MH) I could NOT get the thing level. I even swapped to the other end of the bed and I was STILL feet up. We were away for the summer and moving on frequently visiting friends and different parts of the country, and I thought I’d lost the knack (levelling was always my job as a kid. Thought I was pretty good at it by now!)

Turns out, because my bedroom floor at hone wasn’t level (by a very-lot) I was acclimatised to sleeping very feet down, so level felt head down to me! I was in fact levelling the van perfectly. hence feeling feet up both ways round!

I now have a properly level bedroom floor, and E and P levellers, and sleep on the flat wherever I go. Turns out your vestibular system is 1) very sensitive and 2) plastic! 🤣

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
If it feels right its right to me.
I do like the head end of the bed to be slightly higher where possible.
Never ever the other way round, I just couldnt sleep

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
If anything near side higher than the offside. Not for any technical reasons but it helps prevent our fidget bum child falling out of bed.
The problem arises because the wife hears the bump and, without fail, suspects burglars, and so I am despatched from bed to check just in case even though I have to step over the root cause on the way to the door.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Nearly always end up with the front wheels on the top step of the ramps unless we get lucky with a very sloping site. Our van is a tail in the air AlKo chassis so just parking up leaves the front 6" low which results in the drunken wobble when moving around inside. After about 1000 attempts I still don't have a foolproof method for getting the Comfortmatic 3.0 onto the ramps without using the 'charge at them & slam on the anchors at the top' approach. If I slightly touch the throttle whilst a wheel is on a ramp they just shoot forwards or backwards and I have to start again :mad:. I may get some mats one day but we're not planning any trips for a while just yet.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I must be OCD!! Can’t abide not being level!! We have a TyrePal that tells me the tyre temperature and pressure, I wait for 10-15 minutes until the tyres cool down and have less pressure in them before I get the spirit level out and use our ramps to get perfectly level. Then I attach the “steadies” to the tow bar so that we stay level for the duration.

Attachments

• 100AB1E1-CF79-4510-84E5-EF5E394A74EB.jpeg
    100AB1E1-CF79-4510-84E5-EF5E394A74EB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
A level van suggests a level top, a nice flat surface for rain to collect then come off when you move. I reversed off ramps with my wife standing ready to pick the ramps up, she got soaked....lesson learnt.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Rather than buy a level and have to store it, there are plenty of spirit level apps on your phone that you can download to do the same thing.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Rather than buy a level and have to store it, there are plenty of spirit level apps on your phone that you can download to do the same thing.
Even better is a glass of wine. If it doesn't slop over the side it's level enough!:whistle2:
I'm actually thinking of stopping lugging our ramps around with us not used them in the last few years.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back