Unregistered Campervan (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Not what the OP Fallais was told by the Policeman who stopped him or by the DVLA who advised the 14 period of grace had not been in place for many years. Did you get this advice in writing from the DVLA?
Not only was I told directly from traffic police, I got it in writing from the DVLA that you categorically can’t use the vehicle until it’s in the database. As my experience showed , my vehicle had to be returned to dealer as it had a vat problem meaning it could not be registered and the DVLA simply returned the taxation paperwork to dealer. If I had had an accident or stopped for police whilst this all paid out I would be awaiting my court case !

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Well in my experience of driving there is more chance of winning the lottery than seeing a policeman let alone being stopped by one. I drove my sports car without a front number plate for 6 months and was never stopped. Even when I had one it was illegal as it is 2/3rds size.

Unless you are speeding, driving erratically, etc you are unlikely to attract the attention of the police. I thinks both those things are unlikley in a Motorhome.
Rubbish, if you drive past a parked police car with anpr, it will flag your vehicle as unregistered

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When the ANPR flags a brand new vehicle as unregistered they are likely to investigate, it could have just been nicked off a dealers forecourt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
My new van was insured with Comfort 10 days before collection, no need for any evidence, just gave them the pre-allocated reg. number. After inspection and handover I paid the balance and it was immediately registered through the DVLA online system.
Colin

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
When the ANPR flags a brand new vehicle as unregistered they are likely to investigate, it could have just been nicked off a dealers forecourt.
:LOL: Having two vehicles nicked early hours of Boxing Morning one of which would be highly identifiable due to the roof rack configuration with plenty of ANPR and road traffic camera's and with very little traffic about, it was if the vehicles where teleported out of my property, never to be seen again. With the cutbacks to Policing I doubt a dodgy Numberplate would cause a rush of police cars to the incident (I assume cloned plates had been placed on the vehicles).

My new Motorhome had Plates placed on the car that had been registered with the DVLA, it was insurable and Taxed (that's all you need) the V5 is not proof of ownership just statement of registers keeper, and by the looks of things the data base catches up with the paperwork as part of a post sales process. As long as the vehicle is registered you really do not need the V5 in your hand to drive away.

The Dealer concerned with my MoHo had not registered the sale with Fiat which meant the vehicle Warranty and associated Fiat breakdown services were not invoked. This also meant all the dealers who look at their systems cannot find it as a 'live/sold vehicle' and as discussed on other threads you only have X days to purchase extended Warranty. Have to Say Fiat Professional services and Adams Morey did a great job in fixing an issue the Sales Manager at one of the dealers had no idea what their responsibility was in this aspect.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
:LOL: Having two vehicles nicked early hours of Boxing Morning one of which would be highly identifiable due to the roof rack configuration with plenty of ANPR and road traffic camera's and with very little traffic about, it was if the vehicles where teleported out of my property, never to be seen again. With the cutbacks to Policing I doubt a dodgy Numberplate would cause a rush of police cars to the incident (I assume cloned plates had been placed on the vehicles).

My new Motorhome had Plates placed on the car that had been registered with the DVLA, it was insurable and Taxed (that's all you need) the V5 is not proof of ownership just statement of registers keeper, and by the looks of things the data base catches up with the paperwork as part of a post sales process. As long as the vehicle is registered you really do not need the V5 in your hand to drive away.

The Dealer concerned with my MoHo had not registered the sale with Fiat which meant the vehicle Warranty and associated Fiat breakdown services were not invoked. This also meant all the dealers who look at their systems cannot find it as a 'live/sold vehicle' and as discussed on other threads you only have X days to purchase extended Warranty. Have to Say Fiat Professional services and Adams Morey did a great job in fixing an issue the Sales Manager at one of the dealers had no idea what their responsibility was in this aspect.
Nobody said you needed the V5 in your hand . The issue was that the van isn’t road legal till it’s registered and showing on the DVLA system which the public can access by typing into google ..is my car taxed Which then takes you to the correct DVLA site. It’s not rocket science

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
With the cutbacks to Policing I doubt a dodgy Numberplate would cause a rush of police cars to the incident
I am not suggesting there would be a rush of Police vehicles but I frequently see Police cars parked alongside roads. They are probably watching for traffic offences and their ANPR will alert them to unregistered vehicles. The DVLA also have ANPR cameras and vans, several times a year I see a DVLA camera van scanning traffic between Bournemouth and Poole. About 10 years ago I received a summons for driving an untaxed vehicle into Portsmouth, a DVLA camera had spotted my motorhome in Portsmouth, they had missed the trade plates, just scanned the ordinary registration number. Easily cleared up when they checked it out.

Anyway it doesn’t change the illegality, not getting caught is no excuse.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There’s nothing quite like a new bed!
Although I have had second hand in the past the thought now of basically buying a second hand bed 😬
New matress is lots cheaper than a new van though 😁

Fair enough if you have a good amount of disposable income lying around then i can see the appeal of buying new.

Its people that get in to lots of debt for them i cant understand ....or those who very rarely use a brand new vehicle and you can almost see the depreciation when you look at it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Fair enough if you have a good amount of disposable income lying around then i can see the appeal of buying new.
You also get the chance to specify exactly what you want, not what someone else wanted or thinks you might need. Having a long list of options was part of the fun of choosing our Carthago, we all have different priorities.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am not suggesting there would be a rush of Police vehicles but I frequently see Police cars parked alongside roads. They are probably watching for traffic offences and their ANPR will alert them to unregistered vehicles. The DVLA also have ANPR cameras and vans, several times a year I see a DVLA camera van scanning traffic between Bournemouth and Poole. About 10 years ago I received a summons for driving an untaxed vehicle into Portsmouth, a DVLA camera had spotted my motorhome in Portsmouth, they had missed the trade plates, just scanned the ordinary registration number. Easily cleared up when they checked it out.

Anyway it doesn’t change the illegality, not getting caught is no excuse.
Not all Police vehicles have ANPR, those that do will read the plates and any known dodgy (Untaxed, Uninsured) Vehicles may be pinged up to the crew. ANPR will show
Police National Computer (PNC)
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

What this means is that there can be a mismatch between the Data, therefor it cannot always be 100% accurate between the data sets MIB may have the insured vehicle against one name, the vehicle can be registered against another and then the PNC will hold differing data to give the crew a picture.

But having been notified of speeding in one part of the country whilst I was in another I just let the process go along a course until I had to appear in court, I was asked by the Magistrate if the vehicle number was correct and I agreed it was, however the picture showed a Blue 2 door BMW Coupe ( Not insured possibly not taxed or registered with DVLA), at the time I Drove a Silver 4 Door BMW saloon that's how good the checking is sometimes. Its imperfect let alone the lack of Police and the lack of being able to spot stollen vehicles early hours of a Boxing Morning.

In this case if the ANPR had picked up the Cloned car it would have just been ignored......as the Plates match an insured and legal vehicle.... In the case of a New Vehicle it is possible that the keepers name has not yet made it to the database and the V5 not issues but is insured etc.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
In the case of a New Vehicle it is possible that the keepers name has not yet made it to the database and the V5 not issues but is insured etc.
Very likely to be insured because this is needed for registration and taxing. However the written advice the OP received from the DVLA said it was not road legal until it appeared on the database. The same advice as I received from both the dealers I have bought new from.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Very likely to be insured because this is needed for registration and taxing. However the written advice the OP received from the DVLA said it was not road legal until it appeared on the database. The same advice as I received from both the dealers I have bought new from.
Oh OK

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
My new van was insured with Comfort 10 days before collection, no need for any evidence, just gave them the pre-allocated reg. number. After inspection and handover I paid the balance and it was immediately registered through the DVLA online system.
Colin
As an update to my earlier post (above), my new van collection was last Friday, late afternoon and I received the V5c in today's post shortly after posting here this morning. At least something is happening promptly at DVLA, I was pleasantly surprised.

Colin

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
This is not available for many new motorhome registrations.
Can i ask why ? When we purchased our Dethleffs from Pullingers, they registered it and taxed it for us the day we collected it, we had an overnight stop on the way home, on arriving home the DVLA registration was there waiting for us, beat us home

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Can i ask why ? When we purchased our Dethleffs from Pullingers, they registered it and taxed it for us the day we collected it, we had an overnight stop on the way home, on arriving home the DVLA registration was there waiting for us, beat us home
I don’t know. I thought it was imported new motorhomes but perhaps not.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don’t know. I thought it was imported new motorhomes but perhaps not.
It is a voluntary arrangement. The dealer has to subscribe to the DVLA block registration scheme, which allocates "blocks" of reserved registration numbers for him to allocate to new vehicle sales and allows him to assign them online, so the registration of a vehicle is virtually instant. But the dealer has to meet the DVLA criteria, and for an independent or small dealer with low annual sales it can also be too expensive or impractical.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It is a voluntary arrangement. The dealer has to subscribe to the DVLA block registration scheme, which allocates "blocks" of reserved registration numbers for him to allocate to new vehicle sales and allows him to assign them online, so the registration of a vehicle is virtually instant. But the dealer has to meet the DVLA criteria, and for an independent or small dealer with low annual sales it can also be too expensive or impractical.
Our dealer had allocated blocks of registration numbers but could not do the the online registration.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Our dealer had allocated blocks of registration numbers but could not do the the online registration.
Then they've either failed to meet the criteria for, or chosen not to join the online registration service, or were within the initial monitoring period where DVLA assess their registrations before permitting access to the online system.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Blocks of registrations have nothing to do with on line registrations, Dealers had blocks of registration long before the on line system was available.
I was asked what number I wanted on a new car back in 1996 from the block of registrations they had available.

My motorhome has just been registered on line by the dealer. They are also a car dealer and have the online registration available through that.
I provided them with the private plate details and was all registered on the same day, So again nothing to do with the block registrations.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes they are two separate parts of the registration system, but pre-allocation of registration marks to a dealer is a DVLA concession subject to acceptance, not a right. A dealer can have access to block registration but still have to post V55s to DVLA. Online registration automates the process, but again is subject to acceptance, training and monitoring. A dealer can't have the latter without the former. Whilst both are fairly common across motor manufacturer's franchised dealer networks, smaller motorhome dealers may not have the same arrangements in place for various reasons.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
We were given a Registration number a few days before pickup of our New Rapido so I could Insure it and whilst going through the payment procedure on Pick up day our MoHome was registered there and then On Line & Taxed and we were given a receipt saying the same. (y) Easy :giggle: Log Book arrived within a few days. (y) This was last month.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I didn't admit to this in previous postings as I didn't want to deal with the 'woe is you' brigade. However due to my vehicle appearing on the DVLA reg today I shall tell my story.

I purchased a new MH from a dealer on March 17. Insured it prior to collection. Insurer (Comfort) did not ask about registration but the dealer did ask for my insurances docs before pick up.

It did not appear on the DVLA website for a few weeks but as we were in lock down I wasn't too worried. I did get concerned nearing April 12th as I was due to go travelling. I had contacted DVLA and they told me there had been an issue as the dealer had sent the wrong amount of tax as the tax had changed in the April budget. The dealer (and I) were confused as I purchased the vehicle in March. Did the paperwork take so long to get through that the DVLA then decided it was a April reg??

Anyway the dealer sent the new payment off around April 12th. Today - 5 weeks later!!! - it is finally appearing as registered. No paper docs as yet.

By the way during that time I have done 800 miles without being pulled by the police.

I will admit - the email from the DVLA telling me about the original registration failure did tell me it was illegal to use the vehicle. However, as the new payment had been dispatched I decided that that counted as registered.

The problem is the 5 weeks it has taken to get on the database - who's fault? How are you to know - just keep checking every day? The dealer assured me it had been sent recorded delivery.

Incidentally, around the same time I bought a brand new motor scooter. It appeared on the DVLA website the next day and the reg docs came in the post 5 days later.

So clearly it can be done quickly and easily online. Why all dealers are not doing this I do not know. Paper forms. cheques and recorded delivery post seems rather antiquated for this task.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back