Ctec thingy. Im not a techie (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Good morning all. After my air bag warning light issue a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering if my batteries might benefit from one of those ctec charger thingies I have read about? The moho has a sargent charger already for when on hook up so what would be the benefit of the ctec thingy as I wouldn't have access to hook up over the winter storage period?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Good morning all. After my air bag warning light issue a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering if my batteries might benefit from one of those ctec charger thingies I have read about? The moho has a sargent charger already for when on hook up so what would be the benefit of the ctec thingy as I wouldn't have access to hook up over the winter storage period?
No benefit really without electric. The Ctec is a battery charger and conditioner type thing. It would only help if you have access to electricity and connect it to your vehicle battery. With you not having access to electric it won’t help in your situation. I would suggest a battery master type thing but again you would need EHU.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If in storage and you can't use EHU the only way to keep the batteries topped up is solar panels, and even then in winter it may not be enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Thanks for the info. There is power on site but we would need around 3 hook up leads to reach it from where we are parked! Additional solar seems the way to go. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Sue, if you have solar you need to check if is charging the vehicle battery as not all setups do. If it doesn't and only charges the hab battery you can by a little gizmo called a Vanbitz battery master, it allows the hab battery to trickle charge the vehicle battery.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Or If you're upgrading the solar get a Votronic Duo controller, they charge both engine and leisure battery.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Thanks for the info. There is power on site but we would need around 3 hook up leads to reach it from where we are parked! Additional solar seems the way to go. Thank you!
Not being facetious but a 100m reel of 2.5mm2 cable plus a blue plug and socket is cheaper than solar panel + controller. Voltage drop would not be a problem, because you will presumably only be drawing enough power to keep the batteries topped up. In fact for this purpose you could get away with 1.5mm2 cable.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Alternately investing in a solar panel and dual regulator would keep your batteries topped up, also extend you stay whilst using the motorhome where no electric is available. I would suggest a minimum of 100 watt panel. That is if you are intending to keep the vann for a while.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
I think the one on the roof is only 80w and we also have a fold up suitcase one @80w which we propped up inside the cab south facing19/20 winter and clipped direct to starter battery and didn't have a problem that winter. With the black button switched off on the sargent button I believe all the solar goes to the vehicle battery. Will look to see what our best route to ehu is on site.
Many thanks
Sue

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not being facetious but a 100m reel of 2.5mm2 cable plus a blue plug and socket is cheaper than solar panel + controller. Voltage drop would not be a problem, because you will presumably only be drawing enough power to keep the batteries topped up. In fact for this purpose you could get away with 1.5mm2 cable.
But would it have to cross any roadways and footways.
It needs protecting from road traffic and protection from trip hazard on footways.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
The van is on a storage site and I've seen several vans with hook up leads connected to the power for periods of time over the winter. Im not sure which route we will go down to try and avoid the airbag light issue again but I realise now that the ctec thing isn't going to be a straight forward solution.
Many thanks.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I think the one on the roof is only 80w and we also have a fold up suitcase one @80w which we propped up inside the cab south facing19/20 winter and clipped direct to starter battery and didn't have a problem that winter. With the black button switched off on the sargent button I believe all the solar goes to the vehicle battery. Will look to see what our best route to ehu is on site.
Many thanks
Sue
On my Sargent unit which is a EC500 PSU if the black button is off then all solar goes to the Hab batteries, that is why I have a Vanbitz battery master fitted.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You are correct that the solar power should be going to the cab battery when the Sargent black button is turned off on the EC400/450 model PSU, if this is what you have fitted ,but is it ? It would only do this if the solar system is wired through the Sargent unit ,It may be worth getting this checked out if possible to confirm that the solar is not connected to the hab battery (in which case a Vanbitz unit would keep the cab battery charged up as well)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Yes the psu is the ec400 version and the solar is wired so it goes to a selected battery or smart charge to do both as required. The first winter we had the van we left the psu switched on thinking the solar would top both up. That was an epic fail leading to a replacement leisure battery and a jump start for the cab battery. Subsequent winters we have turned off the psu so all available solar goes to the cab and with nothing draining the habitation battery, it hasn't suffered.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If, this year, the cab battery was overcharged / undercharged to cause the problem maybe the solar controller is faulty (somebody was on here a couple of days ago and their faulty controller was allowing 16 volts to the cab battery , before the system shut down)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Oh thanks geoffndee I hadn't seen that. I will look for that thread and investigate .

Thank you
Sue

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
FWIW a 100w solar panel and a Vanbitz battery master seems to have kept two hab batteries and the cab battery going through a Scottish winter. What I don't know is how low the batteries may have got in the interim. We've had loads of sunshine lately...

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Yes the psu is the ec400 version and the solar is wired so it goes to a selected battery or smart charge to do both as required. The first winter we had the van we left the psu switched on thinking the solar would top both up. That was an epic fail leading to a replacement leisure battery and a jump start for the cab battery. Subsequent winters we have turned off the psu so all available solar goes to the cab and with nothing draining the habitation battery, it hasn't suffered.
Hi
I also have Sargent EC400 and as you say there is the choice of Leisure, Vehicle or Smart. I have a modest solar arrangement wired through the Sargent unit and find it keeps both batteries in a healthy condition and have never turned off at the black switch.
I make sure the control panel is switched off, but leave the black switch on.
It would be worth checking your solar is delivering a useful charge.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
I've had a quick read of the thread you mentioned geoffndee. I think I must have a chat with the guy that does the habitation check to check it all out.
Hopefully the issue is resolved now until winter anyway as we can now use the van or at least bring it home and charge the batteries.
We have cleaned the solar panel now but it was very dirty having been stood over winter and while we have been in lockdown. I realise this will have reduced any
Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back