Batteries again ....sorry! (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
About to have solar installed ... 200w, MPPT controller, and ......2 AGM 90 Banner batteries ((I know, I know , but the technician has been installing them for years on MHs with no reliability related returns)!!!?. It’s costing just over £1k and I really don’t want to spend anymore at this stage if possible especially as my single existing 4 year leisure battery is still putting out good readings. But the Banner and AGM general feedback do make me nervous 😬.

I think Lithium is out on cost at this stage so alternatively should I consider one GEL battery (and add a second later) or does that defeat the purpose of going solar ? Aim is to stay 5/6 days off grid UK/Ireland at a time. Help!

AgeingAndrew

Free Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
I have read and re read all the battery posts on here and now have a blinding headache.
No idea what most of the text in the posts mean still no idea what a VFM battery is...
So - we have 2 Varta professional Dual purpose AGM batteries under the side seat in our van {Hymer 544 -7 years old }which I assume will have been in since it was built [but who knows - not me ] as they have rusty bolts holding them in.
We have a solar panel on the roof [no idea what voltage/charge/bicycle it is /has so any replies asking will not be answerable ] and when NOT on hook up the little coloured light on the leisure battery indicator goes down to the second highest reading when you put the step up and down . I assume this means the batteries are aging - as am I - exacerbated by the technical language on the 2000000 comments about gel batteries vs AGM as my brain was full reading up about the differences [apart from the money they cost ] let alone the rest of it.
I have looked at the suggested sites that review the AGMs but they were in German and that was when it was start drinking or give up and ask you knowledgeable lot .

Simple questions :1] Do we need new batteries - and I assume this means 2 . They charge up better when we drive the van than on hook up.
2] IF we need new batteries will the earth stop revolving if we buy 2 of the same type and size and get someone to fit them ......

Thank you
🏳️

Your batteries have lasted 7 years because they are suitable for how you use them ie how you charge them and how you discharge them. They may well be ageing, but that doesn’t mean that they need replacing right now.

Whether you need 1 battery or 2 is down to how you use your van and how long you expect to be able to survive off-grid.

As AGM batteries seem to be a good fit for your style of use, why change?

No, the world will not stop turning if you buy the same type of battery again.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Providing your charger has a Gel setting I would go for Gel batteries. If you are spending 5 or 6 days off grid no way would I fit AGM's as AGM go Banner are about the worst. Also from personal experience Banner do not honor their warranties.
If you really want AGM's go for the professional ones but they will cost about £300 each. The dual use ones are a wast of time in a Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back