LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I think it's excellent. I'm not sure why it's so unpopular with some people. I know of a local horse rider who fell from her horse when he tripped in a very remote area. She was mildly concussed but was able to use W3W to communicate her location to the emergency services, who did an amazing job in finding her so quickly. Trying to work out (and clearly communicate) map coordinates when you're concussed would be really difficult.
Im sure someone (Chris Sheldrick) who started it to get bands to the correct location for giggs will be paid an absolute fortune by google soon to integrate that with google maps, and retire gracefully.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Is it me, I have no idea where you are finding these three words.
Supposing I want to get to the front door of number ten. What three words would get me there?
Vote.for.me

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I've installed the app but only had a chance to play at home with it so far.

Would be great if there were different maps you could install..say
France Aires.
Spanish Aires.
Motorhome service points.

I no it's not designed just for motorhomers but there could be opinions for all different activities

It'll sure be easier to direct emergency services to your location as well

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i think the app is great, assuming you dont get a 'no signal' if you need help, but then again, you couldnt use your phone anyway .....

comes into its own for passing on good 'parking' spots between friends that you want to keep reasonably 'secret' to avoid the crowds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I've installed the app but only had a chance to play at home with it so far.

Would be great if there were different maps you could install..say
France Aires.
Spanish Aires.
Motorhome service points.

I no it's not designed just for motorhomers but there could be opinions for all different activities

It'll sure be easier to direct emergency services to your location as well
I save good locations to my favourites on WTW, also I find it so much easier to add the locations to trip records etc!

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
This app comes into it's own when people need help away from roads and house numbers, and the UK 3ES have pretty much adopted it. Rather than saying that you've walked about a mile from the forest entrance then turned left on to a rough track and gone another two miles, you can say your at 'office/assume/string' for example and the help will know exactly where you are. (That's in the New Forest).

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
Have it on my phone for emergency use, just in case. I'd like to try it to navigate somewhere , it uses Google Maps, but I don't know any businesses that use it for location purposes.

I did try it when I was walking around the village last year, to 'navigate' back to my house, which is why I know it works with Google maps, but that's about it.

Maybe when we're out of lockdown, I might try it for a journey slightly longer than 1 mile.

Currently I'm at cheese:-----:------. (redacted as I'm working) :giggle:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Noticed that Premier Inn use it now
Not on their main search page, and never had an issue in finding one using a post code (you can normally spot them quite a way off)

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 17.13.52.png

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok shoot me down, and I even have it on my phone never used.
But can anyone tell me a dafter way of directing anyone than three unconnected words that don't work in a country with a different language.
Why oh why can't they use words that mean something without their app, like maybe your house number and street, oh hold on though we already have that though, it's called your address :doh: :doh:

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I suspect as time goes by, we will all get used to using this app. Having spent many hours trying to find houses in the countryside where postcodes cover a large area and there is no mobile service, I would have welcome this when I was working. I'm old enough to remember a time before mobile phones which were a big help when they came along
Anything that makes it easier is very welcome.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Ok shoot me down, and I even have it on my phone never used.
But can anyone tell me a dafter way of directing anyone than three unconnected words that don't work in a country with a different language.
Why oh why can't they use words that mean something without their app, like maybe your house number and street, oh hold on though we already have that though, it's called your address :doh: :doh:
Addresses are only as good as the basic information. When I was working as a continental courier what three words would have been a godsend. Many times in France I've been in a situation where Google, Michelin and TomTom use a different name for the same road, and once the delivery address I was given was a fourth! Also I was often given the correct address for an airport, only to find the entrance to the maintenance facility was miles away. Nothing worse than seeing the lights of your destination, but no logical way of getting there.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The amount of advertising they are doing lately, means there is going to be a draw out of before long.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Indeed still cant see the point ;)
Because always carrying the relevant paper maps for wherever you are, waterproof cover and compass and, and... is just so much more convenient and cheaper when you're at the park looking for your pal is just so much more convenient than using your phone

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If the emergency services like it then thatā€™s good enough for me.
I am getting a sense of deja vu on this thread!
Ok iv said my piece don't worry I'm out of it now.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I understand Mongolia, where a lot of people are still semi-nomadic and live in Yurts on the steppe, has taken to using W3W as the official address/postcode system.

Now who do we know that lives a semi-nomadic life in the middle of acres of grass ?
Problem solved on the "where are you?" at the next rally, festival, or meet up.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
No good for navigation, but OK if you fall over and don't know where you are.

... and of course have your phone to hand, and can still use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back