Leaving the UK during arrival self-isolating. (1 Viewer)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Certainly before this latest lockdown you could leave the U.K. before your quarantine ended. I did this in November. However that was before and now without any good reason the authorities will prevent you from leaving if you are a U.K. passport holder .
French require COVID negative test

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Not sure where, maybe not UK, but France and Spain sound like bureaucratic nightmares too.

Yes the French do love their paperwork, the reason we have so many fuctionaires. However, the difference here in France, in our experience, is that the French are a very practical people and there is always a solution to be found, all you need is the correct attitude depending on the circumstances; some times you have to grovel a little , but as long you get a result that is the main thing.

Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Bottom line Geoff, is no country wants it's residents driving around in a 'foreign' plated vehicle for any length of time.
The UK plated vehicle will need to be sold (in the UK) and you'll need to get a Polish registered van for your time in Poland.

As and When you move from Poland to another country, you will need to do the same thing again.

As an FYI, London suburban streets used to be packed with foreign plated vehicles, we had a couple in our road, but quietly, year on year the owners have been given an ultimatum, re-register it (which if it's old is not worth it) or take it 'home'.
Most of the cars have long since gone 'home' and it's now a fairly rare sight to see foreign plated cars regularly parked up in suburban streets.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the authorities will prevent you from leaving if you are a U.K. passport holder .
Not if you hold a permanent Residency document for another country.
so it might be hard to assert to French at the port, or driving "in the wrong direction" that you are resident of Poland unless you have good
Been done by someone since last weekend.
Why not book mot for your day of arrival, give the garage near Dover as your quarantine address and drive straight back after the mot, which only takes a couple of hours. Your outgoing covid test might still be valid for reentry to France.
I suggested that on page1 :giggle:

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Bottom line Geoff, is no country wants it's residents driving around in a 'foreign' plated vehicle for any length of time.
The UK plated vehicle will need to be sold (in the UK) and you'll need to get a Polish registered van for your time in Poland.

As and When you move from Poland to another country, you will need to do the same thing again.

As an FYI, London suburban streets used to be packed with foreign plated vehicles, we had a couple in our road, but quietly, year on year the owners have been given an ultimatum, re-register it (which if it's old is not worth it) or take it 'home'.
Most of the cars have long since gone 'home' and it's now a fairly rare sight to see foreign plated cars regularly parked up in suburban streets.

It may come to that but difficult to do while so many restrictions are in place. I would still have to get this one to UK.

There really are not many quality 'A' Class in the Polish market. I would be looking at the German market if I can solve the Excise tax problem I described on my post this morning(#50)

But I do not have to do that if my appeal to the Minister bears fruit to get an exemption to re-register here.

My MH is off the road on the yard behind our house so not attracting much attention and hasn't since it has been there.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would stay in the MH at the farm S. of Canterbury where we have often left the MH before.
Another option then:
  • Get confirmation that you still have a valid driving licence.
  • Book the MOT then drive the MH to the UK.
  • If you still want to go ahead with the MOT then do so, otherwise bypass that and go to your storage site as you were intending to anyway.
  • Arrange for it to stay at the site for the time being
  • Fly back to Poland (I assume you will be able to prove you live in Poland as regardless of your travel method as it will be needed).
  • Tell your insurers it's at the UK site, which I assume they'll be happy about otherwise you'd have difficulty leaving it in normal times.
  • You can then SORN it legitimately.
When things have settled down you can fly to the UK and have the MOT done (if you didn't do it before) and then tax it legitimately and return it to Poland if you want - I would think a couple of flights will be cheaper and certainly quicker (less stressful) than travelling back to Poland in the MH now also give you more time to consider what your options are for it rather than try to get it all sorted now when things are still up in the air.

If you take it back to Poland now and then decide to sell it in the UK you'd end up having to drive it all the way back again so if there's a remote possibility of this then leaving it in the UK and flying might be the best thing to do for now.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Clearly it's very complicated. I suspect that overall the easiest solution, since you do not see your future back in the UK, if I understand correctly, might be to sell the current vehicle in the UK and then purchase a more compliant LHD vehicle within the EU, which will present fewer beauracratic problems wherever you go. Whether this works financially depends on what price differential there is between you value sold in the UK and in Europe. Right now MH and camper vans are pretty expensive in the UK, demand is high. The cost differential might justify the cost of shipping it and selling it in the UK. You might be able to sell it with good photos and comprehensive descriptions and documentation, sight unseen. I imported from Germany last year, a new LHD PVC and it cost me £1500 to transport from Munich fully insured. OK the risks for me were relatively low. It was a new van, from a reliable manufacturer, but because of COVID the planned three day shakedown stay outside Munich, went out the window. And it simply turned up ready to have the conversion work to be done (speedo/lights), pretty much unseen. So in your case a potential purchaser would be taking a larger risk, but if your honest about the condition, it might work. Maybe.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
For Brains and Mel@Minxy Girl

Because of the problems with the MH and the potential new tax liability I am also looking at plans to change our way of life to spend less than 183 days in Poland in a year then both problems go away. I think it would be possible when I get my Residency card - when that is the Polish government can get the forms ready for those of us entitled to apply under the Withdrawal Agreement. Already 16 days of my 90 days in Schengen have gone by, so if they are not quicker I shall become an 'overstayer'. Oh Joy!

I could takre the MH travelling in EU and even UK and throw some money at flights for Basia to join me from time to time, but any plan like that would have to wait till travel restrictions are over.

Geoff

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That would not comply with both 11 and 12 in my post - cannot go direct to isolation location and MOT at same time immediately after arrival.
In effect you can. Your journey if the first one out after isolation is a continuation of the one direct into the UK is all one journey but with a break for isolation. If you do it on a short trip are you going to tell the mot station that you are isolating after just entering the UK?
I agree its a difficult situation that you're in and there probably going to break the law somewhere. I think if you can demonstrate that you have tried your best to comply with the law while minimising the risk to anyone else I would hope that if you are stopped you will be dealt with advice at worst.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good luck Geoff.
Well done Mel & others.
Pass the Paracetamol Please, I have a headache now, just reading this!
What a state of affairs!, its a conundrum with no easy course to steer, I hope things get easier, but how other than wait a while, I just dont know. New DL first, take it from there.
Good luck to all.
LES

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
After reading the thread from top to bottom and all the multitude of problems thrown up.
My advice would be
Arrange storage
Ship vehicle back to UK (may not be as expensive as you think, you are in the land of hauliers and you also offset the cost of you driving it to and fro) I shipped a land rover and a tractor £500 each UK to Spain.
Sorn

You now have time to decide best course of action.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Not in Norwich! There are so many vehicles running around with P, SK, LTH, RO plates on, its untrue. One does worry as to whether they have the correct insurance if you're involved in an incident with one of them.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
We are returning to the UK at the beginning of April for our MOT, roadtax etc.
We have booked our MOT so that should all be ok.
The problem we have is that we are fulltimers and if we have to go into quarantine it would have to be in the motorhome.
It seems to us that a lot of campsites won't allow you to be there for quarantine purposes, any ideas on how to overcome this problem?

May 6, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 841
Exp
since 2006
British citizen can come if he wants. Returns as a Polish resident.

Not if he plans it right The one test in France (FOC) over the channel, mot & straight back does the job.

If they refuse to re-register right hand drive ones then it is all guesswork.
here they do not allow re-registering of rhd commercials so for many year most would use that as an excuse to keep using them
Anyone have a link to Covid tests in France being FOC???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problem we have is that we are fulltimers and if we have to go into quarantine it would have to be in the motorhome.
It seems to us that a lot of campsites won't allow you to be there for quarantine purposes, any ideas on how to overcome this problem?
Either the storage site that nicholsong is using if they allow you to stay, or a 'friendly' CL ... failing that a funster's drive.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Firstly thank you to Landy Andy who gave me the definitive answer to my Q in my OP about leaving the UK duting quarantine. I had not found the 'national lockdown rules for England. because I had searched for ''travel to UK' and had read
Which while it covers some of the main points does not cover the leaving part during quarantine. Not very helpful to have two documents with differing contents.

Now to cover the points raised by several of you separately.

I find myself required to abide by the following laws and rules.

1 I am required under Polish law to re-register my MH in Poland.
2 I am not legally allowed to re-register my MH in Poland
3 All vehicles must be registered in one country or another
4 The MH is currently legally registered in UK
5 UK law requires that my MH has an MOT
6 My MH's MOT expires on 31.01.2021
7 DVSA have already extended the MOT for 6 months along with all others to that date of 31.01.2021
8 DVSA have been advised of the problem and have not offered a further extension
9 Polish law does not prevent me from travel.
10 UK law permits me under certain conditions to enter UK
11 Once in the UK without an MOT I am only permitted to drive directly to aa pre-booked MOT test.
12 Quarantine rules require that once in the UK I must drive directly to my designated place for self-isolation
13 UK Covid rules prohibit me from travelling for an MOT (but not clear if, apart from self-isolation rules, this applies to visitors)

My question to those that have pointed out laws and rules that I should obey, would you please advise which of the contradicting laws and rules I should ignore and with which comply and how.?

Contacting any Agency involved in overseeing the above laws and rules with the same question will proably result in the same answer as DVSA of only quoting the ones for which they are responsible, adding that they cannot give answers on the other points and to contact ........

There is then the requirement of my MH insurance policy which requires that the MH has an MOT 'if required', but unhelpfully not specifying when, where and by whom, whether them or another party, it might be 'required'. Maybe directing similar questions to the Underwriters might, or not, produce an answer.

You all no doubt have heard of Catch 22, but have you heard of Catch 88?

I look forward with eager anticipation to posters' answer to my question above.

Until the answers arrive I shall refrain from booking a ferry.

Geoff

[EDIT: Forgot to include
A That I am prohibited from SORNing the MH because it is not in Great Britain and DVSA have not permitted that to be allowed]
B My driving licence which expired on 05.01.2021 has not yet been renewed by DVLA after 2 months from application.]
Tricky one, but the key issue is that you are not allowed to travel anywhere while you are under quarantine. So once you have arrived, you cannot leave your place of residence. We recently returned from Greece, and did our 10 days scrupulously. During that time nobody checked that we were there or not. So would you get away with taking your van for its MOT, yes.... is it the right thing to do? No.....

Deleted User
Air b'n'b

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Not in Norwich! There are so many vehicles running around with P, SK, LTH, RO plates on, its untrue. One does worry as to whether they have the correct insurance if you're involved in an incident with one of them.
If you go to some of the car yards/breakers around here you see massive compounds full with hundreds of foreign cars that have been impounded due to no insurance.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think you may have to have it transported to the UK for it's test - possibly on a low loader. Expensive and not what you want to do. When it is in the UK you can then legally SORN it and maybe have it put into storage in the UK. Depending on timings you may have it back in Poland at the correct interval for it to be legal.

A bureaucratic nightmare for all concerned.

My own opinion is that you have to do what is safest for yourself and others whilst complying with as many of the regulations and laws as you can. I hope you get a sensible answer from Mr Gove's office - perhaps they would be able to give a one-off ministerial exemption or permission to SORN even though the van is in Poland. If that would work for you I think I would suggest it to them.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Geoff Hi
I cant help with the registration of a uk vehicle within the EU as I,m afraid all those, rules and regs. are lost to us from01/01/21
But you can check your driving licence on line , it will tell you, all you need to know, i.e. each category "run out dates are different" It will also tel you if they have renewed it, You can print the details, Whilst carrying it is a must, there are many a professional driver, has had to resort to the printed to get home, failing that, there is a professional body of people, You have to pay, who will fix, there "lost licence issue" (Driving licence Plus). Again these serves have been a god send when Professional drivers have lost , mislaid, or just haven't had it back vis the postman.
On the MOT, book it in before you drive, there are plenty truck service/garages will let you park until the appointment day.
It doesn't take a genius to work out .. book it with the garage for ten days after you arrive.

Hope this helps
Andy
a N&B fan

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff Hi
I cant help with the registration of a uk vehicle within the EU as I,m afraid all those, rules and regs. are lost to us from01/01/21
But you can check your driving licence on line , it will tell you, all you need to know, i.e. each category "run out dates are different" It will also tel you if they have renewed it, You can print the details, Whilst carrying it is a must, there are many a professional driver, has had to resort to the printed to get home, failing that, there is a professional body of people, You have to pay, who will fix, there "lost licence issue" (Driving licence Plus). Again these serves have been a god send when Professional drivers have lost , mislaid, or just haven't had it back vis the postman.
On the MOT, book it in before you drive, there are plenty truck service/garages will let you park until the appointment day.
It doesn't take a genius to work out .. book it with the garage for ten days after you arrive.

Hope this helps
Andy
a N&B fan

Andy

You can only check driving licence application progress online if one has applied online and received a reference number to insert in the search engine.

An application for a C1 renewal has to be by post.

Geoff

SWW

Oct 12, 2010
Funster No
Do check up on the renewal of your driving licence. My daughter renewed hers just before Christmas and it arrived in just over 2 weeks. We were astonished.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
THE PLOT THICKENS

We contacted the Tax office which gave us the exemption for our current motorhome which we imported as my private possession on relocating here.

We asked whether, in the light of the refusal of the Polish authorities to register this RHD motorhome, we could take it away and substitute another tax-free.

Answer was NO.

So on that point I am trapped between the Registration office and the import tax office.

ANOTHER

I contacted the N&B dealer to enquire what they do about the Polish Excise Duty (18.6%) which is in effect an 'Import tax, which should not exist in the EU.

They and any customer have to pay that at the full 18.6% ON REGISTERING IN POLAND

He kept pointing out that it was registering in Poland and not n Germany, Czech, UK. I am wondering whether he was suggesting , between the lines, never registering in Poland. I am not sure how long one could sustain that.

Even if i wanted to buy a new N&B, the model I would choose is the Arto 78F with island bed, but recently discontinued.

As I say the plot thickens.

Time to get out of this country methinks, especially if on the other front they are going to charge me £6,000 tax on income on top of the £6,000 I pay in UK,

And then 18.6% on any replacement MH(new or secondhand) just because our steering wheel is RHD.

Silence before I swear - lots.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
also offset the cost of you driving it to and fro) I shipped a land rover and a tractor £500 each UK to Spain.
But they would probably go on a standard car transporter. My MH came back via adac from France on a dutch single deck low loader with 2 large tractors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back