Avtex or a an other (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi folks, when we get our new van I will need a new tv set but don't know which one to go for anyone got any views to make etc 12/240 volt .

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
My Avtex Sat/DVD TV is seven or eight years old and is now used every day in the kitchen. Great piece of kit. Mind you, it was £400 from John Lewis which was quite expensive at the time!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'm a cheapskate. Medion from Aldi 21" £120..👍
12v/mains. Freeview and free to air satellite built in. For how much we watch TV it does us, has all the features Inc media player for using a hard drive or USB stick.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have had two Avtex over the years and great bits of kit.

Do you need a TV you may ask yourself.

Review what media you watch before committing to a TV.

We have an apple laptop and iPad and use these as the TV. We hotspot the Laptop/ iPad to my iPhone and I have 150 gig per month 4G . So I simply stream whatever we want to watch direct to the kit. The laptop has a large enough screen to watch comfortably what we watch. If we wish to use the TV screen I can pop it up and link laptop via HDMI lead. That way I never have to go through the hassle of trying to get a good TV signal, as long as I have 4G I have TV. In fact I cannot recall the last time I did this as my Laptop has a 15 inch screen.

Yes the laptop is far more expensive than the Avtex but the laptop has multi uses available so the expense for us is worth it. Also at times we both can watch different programmes via iPad and laptop linked to 4G and headphones.

We also use the kit in mainland Europe via 4G and VPN watching all the UK TV without problems.
A TV would not pick up UK channels without satellite, so again more useful than a TV on its own

So do you need a TV?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Avtex for me. They have a good viewing angle which was sadly missing on my previous, slightly cheaper, tv. Worth the extra.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Avtex 12V TV { good but not cheap }
Vision Plus 12V TV { cheaper but still good }
A label on the back will tell you how many watts the TV uses.
Typically these TV's have Freeview and Satellite tuning capability built in, this saves having to buy extra tuning boxes.
A suitable Aerial is required for terrestrial Freeview and / or a Satellite dish for Freesat.
They also usually have a slot for DVD's mounted on the side of the TV.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We have had two Avtex over the years and great bits of kit.

Do you need a TV you may ask yourself.

Review what media you watch before committing to a TV.

We have an apple laptop and iPad and use these as the TV. We hotspot the Laptop/ iPad to my iPhone and I have 150 gig per month 4G . So I simply stream whatever we want to watch direct to the kit. The laptop has a large enough screen to watch comfortably what we watch. If we wish to use the TV screen I can pop it up and link laptop via HDMI lead. That way I never have to go through the hassle of trying to get a good TV signal, as long as I have 4G I have TV. In fact I cannot recall the last time I did this as my Laptop has a 15 inch screen.

Yes the laptop is far more expensive than the Avtex but the laptop has multi uses available so the expense for us is worth it. Also at times we both can watch different programmes via iPad and laptop linked to 4G and headphones.

We also use the kit in mainland Europe via 4G and VPN watching all the UK TV without problems.
A TV would not pick up UK channels without satellite, so again more useful than a TV on its own

So do you need a TV?
PJ who is your 4g provider as might be interested in that if and when we get to Spain later this year .

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Presently with O2. Have been with them for several years about 15 I think . Last year had 100 gig per month and used whole amount in France/Spain each month without any blocking. I have full timed for the last five years and have not had any issue around roaming cut off after free roaming came in. When you research, if you intend to use 4G in mainland Europe, stay away from the unlimited gig allowance. In the small print all the companies who offer this restrict you to 20 gig per month. Many on here recommend Vodaphone which also lets you use whole monthly allowance without penalty but again not their unlimited monthly gig usage.
Obviously now we are out of EU keep an eye on the providers. Presently they published that they were not going to re introduce roaming charges but like everything in the corporate world money talks and if they see that they loose money they I am sure will change course.
Again using free Wifi sites and the 4G we never went without TV. You will need to use VPN when using WIFI for the i player and Commercial channels. 4G works straight away

Just to let you know. 1 hour tv streaming is around 1 gig of 4G

I also download and back up umpteen films box sets onto a hard drive and watch these during trips. So whenever i link up with friends and family who have unlimited WIFI I download everything I can get myself linked into

Also use my sons SKY account via 4G to watch everything through the laptop

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the Avtex 27" connected, (that means smart TV) and the Avtex soundbar (y) worked for us while in Germany streaming off Vodafone 100gb and works great off freeview aerial in the UK with catchup as well, cracking picture in HD but I reduce the resolution for streaming abroad to keep dat a use down.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Avtex are expensive and so far behind technology wise and stupid speaker is at the rear of the TV so need the volume turned way up to hear it , customer care not good either I enquired last August about extended cables for mine and I also asked if the sound bar can be situated away from the tv

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Avtex are expensive and so far behind technology wise and stupid speaker is at the rear of the TV so need the volume turned way up to hear it , customer care not good either I enquired last August about extended cables for mine and I also asked if the sound bar can be situated away from the tv
I found them very good when I called them actually, the sound bar is bluetooth so can be situated anywhere you like but if you use a HDMI ARC cable the TV controls the volume and the on/off functions of the sound bar so you only the one remote.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We use a 24” Manta tv, small soundbar and Firestick - the Manta is full HD with Freeview HD tuner, good viewing angle, and cheaper than Avtex. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Don’t understand or recognise your comment they do a range of TV’s including what some call ‘smart’ TV <Broken link removed>

you pay your money and make your choice Avtex seem fine to me but some will just use a laptop or tablet.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not my experience. When I wanted some advice about the built in Easyfind satellite locator the phone was answered quickly by a human being. I was immediately transferred to someone with the right technical knowledge who answered my enquiry. They were very helpful.

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Ferguson. Made in the UK At West Auckland, I purchased one in August and it arrived the next day my fire stick worked without the need for a 240 volt supply.

Buy British help keep the UK working.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Hi folks, when we get our new van I will need a new tv set but don't know which one to go for anyone got any views to make etc 12/240 volt .
Avtex 12 volt for 10 years, found it reliable and when I needed advice relating to my remote
the phone was answered by a knowledgeable person and stayed on the phone whilst I went through the programming procedure
all in all would not hesitate to use again

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Bought a new Avtex last year. Very pleased with sound and picture quality and went for the slightly more expensive SMART version to futureproof. The DVD player has been taken out from this version. Easy to hook up to internet, freeview and NETFLIX. The screwholes for bracket are quite flimsy but I just store away when not in use. I looked at Ferguson, cello etc. Avtex is overpriced when compared with house TV'S but they have been around for motorhomes a long time.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We had two Finlux tv’s which were very good.
However, I bought a 6mth old Avtex from my dad and I’ve now replaced one of the Finlux tv’s.
There is a notable difference in picture and sound quality between the two makes with the Avtex being better.
However, I could have bought 2 Finlux tvs for one Avtex. Both have inbuilt dvd. The Avtex having an inbuilt sat tuner. Both are 12v/230v.
Had the opportunity to buy the Avtex not come about, I would have been very content with the Finlux’s.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I have an Avtex,,,nice bit of kit,,viewing angle sold it for me,,

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
DVD player has always been there weak point even John Lewis only give 1 heat warranth in dvd but 2 years on rest

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We have 32” Avtex in our MH, got a great price using a discount from C&MH club. We couple it to an Apple TV and a 4G mifi and have all the content we could ever need here and abroad.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Got a 21.5 avtex pro a couple of months ago to replace our smaller 16 inch avtex tv/dvd, not changed them over yet. I spent a while thinking which cheaper tv I could buy before deciding to stick with avtex.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I'm still using my ancient (approx 10 yrs old) Avtex 15 inch TV...it's 12v & 230v...got a DVD player, all works perfect, never had an issue at all, and it's got digital & analogue feeds / inputs...still quite a few sites in Spain that will only feed an analogue signal from the services post, seen many a frustrated camper can't get TV 'cause no analogue!

Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New to it
i have an Avtex, cant fault it. Cant speak for the others but works for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back